Beater vs Brush

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Beater vs Brush

Postby rstark18 » November 30th, 2012, 12:40 pm

A while back I bought the Pet kit that came with the brush assembly as we were getting a dog. I used it for a few months but just recently decided to go back to the beater assembly. I am much happier with the cleaning performance of the beater. I have all hardwood floors with some large throw rugs throughout the house. They both do a good job on the hardwood (really no difference) but the throw rugs are MUCH cleaner with the beater.
rstark18
Robot Groupie

Re: Beater vs Brush

Postby holmes4 » November 30th, 2012, 1:19 pm

I have the opposite experience - rugs are much cleaner with the brush/beater combo. It's also quieter. In my house it's cat fur - I have five cats.
Steve
holmes4
Robot Addict

Postby denodan » December 16th, 2012, 3:44 am

Is it common at the odd time the Neato turns off it's beater, but still vacuums? Think it happens if it, at odd times over the same spot. Its never done it for any length of time, but just at the odd time turns the beater off. Is this common? but think it happens more often if it's in a tight situation, or spot.
denodan

Postby JEfromCanada » December 16th, 2012, 4:35 am

I believe Neato will turn off the brush while traversing an area it thinks has already been cleaned.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (not connected)
Roomba 560 (not connected)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby Wing Nut » December 16th, 2012, 4:38 am

A previous firmware used to frequently stop the beater (and maybe the vacuum?), just for a few seconds possibly as it crossed a part of floor it had already done, but the most recent FW in the XV-11 relaxed this fussiness. However, it's still likely to happen especially when, as you suggest, it's extracting itself from a tight spot. I guess that apart from saving power, it's to avoid damaging the carpet with it rubbing away in one place for too long - which may happen every time it goes by this spot when cleaning the house.
#1 Neato XV-11 SW 2.0 Board Rev 113 / 3500mAh battery pack installed May 2013 / Pet & Allergy pack installed Sept 2013. In July 2014, received and repaired a faulty #2 Neato XV-11, which also runs perfectly now
Wing Nut
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » December 16th, 2012, 2:13 pm

In V2.6 the vacuum and brush stop while returning to base for recharge, but when going back to the stopping place to resume with a full charge, it cleans all the way -- just in case it got dirty again while charging.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics