XV-11 docking and charging problem solved

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

XV-11 docking and charging problem solved

Postby MrTreehorn » January 27th, 2013, 10:56 pm

My XV-11 and XV-12 robots have always had trouble docking and charging.

Today I decided to fix something that I've always thought to be a design flaw. That is how little the charging connectors stick out from the back of the robot. They are just too short to make good, consistant contact with the charging dock. The robot often times tries to climb the dock trying to make good contact. Enough was enough!

To start your are going to need one mini binder clip like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GAYKNY/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003GAYKNY&linkCode=as2&tag=crabithou-20

Next, you'll need to remove the two chrome things from the clamp part of the clip and bend them a bit with a pair of pliers (see images below).

Then you'll need to fire up the soldering iron and attach the newly formed parts to your robot's contacts like show in that attached images. It's important to make sure you get a good, solid joint here. They can take a lot of stress when docking, and it's possible they can make contact with items in your room while in operation. You may want to bend the ends back towards the robot a bit more than I have here if you run into problems in your room. So far I've not had to do that.

I've not had one single docking/charging failure since installing the extensions to the back of the robot. Since my robot often times doesn't align its self very well with the docking station, these extensions really help out and make good contact even when off center.

MrTreehorn

Re: XV-11 docking and charging problem solved

Postby glnc222 » January 28th, 2013, 12:28 am

Interesting solution to rear contact curve mismatch to flat charger plates, first time addressed. Heating and plastic melting problems from poor contact previously reported, with some software response from the factory and just recently, charging circuit revisions maybe unrelated, but no new contact designs.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby a4refillpad » January 29th, 2013, 5:53 pm

I've never encountered climbing problems re docking in all the time I've used either neatos or vr100 so am surprised you needed to resort to this. Anyone else noticed this on theirs? Maybe it should be returned as faulty?

Also, the turning circle of the neato is incredibly accurate and tight. I'm pretty sure in my home if I had "hooks" like that on the back of either of my devices I would cause problems snagging onto things whilst it turns. Maybe better to pry out the existing contacts a little and bend then to become a little more prominent from the case?
In fact the dobs of solder alone should suffice in creating a better contact without the hooks I think.
current bots: Clebo Arte, Vorwerk VR-100 (one broken one new), Neato XV-25, Neato XV-12, Roomba 564, Evo Mint 2, Roomba 770, Hauzen VC-RE70V, Samsung SR8980, Karcher RC3000, Robomow RL350 (lawnmower)
previous bots: Samsung SR8845, Neato XV-15
a4refillpad
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » January 29th, 2013, 6:57 pm

That is a nice mod. One suggestion is you may want to flatten the leading edge of clip to make it more square and have more surface area for contact.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » January 29th, 2013, 9:25 pm

One variation could be increasing the contact area vertically instead of horizontal, insuring larger contact area than the original wherever striking the plate. Bend the wires into say, 1/4" vertical contacts.
Nice photography, really striking. That one with the mirror image very artistic.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby kpnew » March 7th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Why don't you just attach those extensions to the docking station instead of to the Neato itself? That way you shouldn't have problems with "hooks" while running.
kpnew

Return to Neato Robotics