No more clack, clack, clack....

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

No more clack, clack, clack....

Postby a4refillpad » February 2nd, 2013, 3:03 pm

Found on a German forum someone mentioning coating the plastic casters on the back of the vr100/neato to reduce noise. I have long been annoyed by the hard plastic wheels on the back of the bot causing a clack, clack, clack noise when going over hard tiles or bevelled hardwood floors. In-fact I'm pretty sure it is the source of the fine scratches (position matches perfectly) on my walnut hardwood floors after months of repeated use.

Anyway, first of all undo the four screws on the underside of the robot (pictures here from vr100 but I have completed the same process on the neato) and carefully apply pressure and push out the wheels from the inside.
1.jpg

wrap the wheel in some heat shrink rubber tubing. I used size 13 which too be honest was a bit of a struggle to wrap around. I would recommend obtaining some a couple of mm larger. Anyway, after some help from WD40 I then shrank the tubing with a flame to get a nice tight finish on the right.
2.jpg
2.jpg (19.22 KiB) Viewed 8943 times

pop it back in
3.jpg

finished! no more clack, clack, clack... and slightly smoother and kinder to the floors.
4.jpg
current bots: Clebo Arte, Vorwerk VR-100 (one broken one new), Neato XV-25, Neato XV-12, Roomba 564, Evo Mint 2, Roomba 770, Hauzen VC-RE70V, Samsung SR8980, Karcher RC3000, Robomow RL350 (lawnmower)
previous bots: Samsung SR8845, Neato XV-15
a4refillpad
Robot Addict

Re: No more clack, clack, clack....

Postby glnc222 » February 2nd, 2013, 3:53 pm

Could well be scratching. Caster wheels for office chairs come in hard plastic for carpet and softer rubber for wood, laminate floors -- if not used on a chair mat (or on a wood mat atop carpet, delux). Have to be renewed like car tires.
Added to utility mods list. "Neato Mods for Utility -- List of Threads"
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16475

Related Thread "Soft Neato Rollers" http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19106
Last edited by glnc222 on February 11th, 2016, 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » February 2nd, 2013, 5:02 pm

Here is a link to a similar mod that was done on an XV-11. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15483&hilit=mod
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby a4refillpad » February 2nd, 2013, 5:24 pm

Did not see that. Fantastic, hats off to your far more elegant mod. Unfortunately way beyond my abilities.
current bots: Clebo Arte, Vorwerk VR-100 (one broken one new), Neato XV-25, Neato XV-12, Roomba 564, Evo Mint 2, Roomba 770, Hauzen VC-RE70V, Samsung SR8980, Karcher RC3000, Robomow RL350 (lawnmower)
a4refillpad
Robot Addict

Postby a4refillpad » February 5th, 2013, 7:02 pm

have now also done the same for the two small casters behind the main brush. These two are relatively straightforward to reach as removing the adjacent screws allows simple removal. Obviously requires much smaller diameter tubing.
a4refillpad
Robot Addict

Postby Riekopo » August 30th, 2015, 7:36 pm

Can I buy a couple of these modified casters for my Botvac 65?
Riekopo

Postby glnc222 » August 30th, 2015, 8:04 pm

I do not think those small casters are sold in a soft material, but you could check the distributors on line specializing in casters. Office chair casters come in both hard and soft for different floor types (protecting wood floors and hard mats). Such small parts are often available only in volume for manufacturing. What was done (on the XV) was put some tape around the caster. Not sure it works on the Botvac, needs experiment, maybe crafting. The noise was mainly an issue for running the vacuum while sleeping.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Riekopo » August 30th, 2015, 9:55 pm

glnc222 wrote:I do not think those small casters are sold in a soft material, but you could check the distributors on line specializing in casters. Office chair casters come in both hard and soft for different floor types (protecting wood floors and hard mats). Such small parts are often available only in volume for manufacturing. What was done (on the XV) was put some tape around the caster. Not sure it works on the Botvac, needs experiment, maybe crafting. The noise was mainly an issue for running the vacuum while sleeping.

Like black electrical tape?
Riekopo

Postby glnc222 » August 30th, 2015, 10:31 pm

I've never found electrical tape to be very sticky, comes loose; special for electrical insulation properties under high voltage. Paper or plastic masking tape sticks well and is thin to fit, may not damp sound as well, have to try. Use Spot Cleaning to test. Duck tape is thicker and padding, sticks good but may deteriorate over long periods, adequate. There is cloth duck tape on Amazon good for some things, thinner. A fancier duck tape without residue is called Gaffer's Tape, used on theater stages. Under warranty it is best not to modify the rollers the way Vic7767 did adding rubber O-rings, unless he can sell you some.
If you are not present when the vacuum runs, you may not need to care about the noise. Personal taste.

[edit] someone used heat shrink tubing I think, fancy. You can find it in Ace Hardware. Molds onto the curves under a brief flame. Beware some is thicker, usually the transparent ones.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » August 30th, 2015, 11:12 pm

I should emphasize heat shrink tubing was the preferred method, not sticky tape. Small pieces widely available, just get the size big enough. Circumferance = Pi x Diameter. It shrinks about 30 per cent of the initial size at most.
The Botvac roller mounting is different; the unit may need to be entirely disassembled to access the mounting.
There are no warranty seals. See the videos here on disassembly if interested. A #10 Torx/Star long shank driver is needed. Remembering the warranty, something for those handy with such things or interested in learning.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » August 31st, 2015, 4:14 am

The Botvac access to the rear rollers is underneath everything. Disassembly steps at http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17831
courtesy Vic7767.
Note the trick with the bumper is to pull it away and forward completely on one side -- not straight out in parallel.

You might be able to feed tape onto the roller with it installed, especially with masking tape -- and you can roll on multiple layers. No idea how it would hold up compared to a closed tube of heat shrink. Nothing to lose, though.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Brett » August 31st, 2015, 9:14 pm

If you want to use tape, use "self amalgamating tape". It's 'rubbery' and fuses to itself and becomes one...

Not sure on life expectancy though?

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » November 16th, 2015, 10:11 pm

Video demonstration covering rollers with heat shrink tubing http://hjj.free.fr/Neato/Bruit_roues.html

[edit] I heard from one engineer the heat shrink tubing can get loose over time and require re-heating. I have not seen this myself in wiring applications.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby humanoid » January 29th, 2016, 3:52 pm

I tried shrink wrap on both front and rear wheels.
Front it barely fits. Because the wheels are old and the hole is worn out, they are pushed upwards, and with the added diameter of the shrink wrap touch the case and stop spinning. After using it like this for a while the wear on the shrink wrap made them spin again.

On the back on the other hand, no luck. After shrink wrapping the wheels do not fit, even with force and lubricant, they are so much larger they just tear the shrink wrap when you push in. I don’t really see how it can be shrink wrapped, unless there is some specialty micro thin material.
I think the best way here is another wheel that is made of a softer material, which will probably require frequent replacement. Any ideas on finding something that fits?

Maybe wooden beads?
humanoid
Robot Groupie

Postby humanoid » January 29th, 2016, 3:55 pm

humanoid
Robot Groupie

Postby glnc222 » January 29th, 2016, 4:10 pm

There is a kind of liquid rubber paint for tool handles which might be tried, never used myself.
If the hole is worn they probably need to be replaced. One might try filling the hole with some sort of epoxy or UV activated plastic glue/fill, and then re-drilling the hole. But the material might not be strong enough, as this is a bearing surface. Maybe a thicker axle with narrowed ends to fit the widened holes. Metal rollers and nylon rollers might be fashioned from spacers in hardware if the right size exists.
Or once again to the 3D printer. Online services available but expensive.
Another way to get the groove for Vic's O-rings. I think F_Robot made some this way but I never got a printer file.
To cut a groove a lathe may not be needed. Fasten with a bolt into a drill to spin against a cutter, or use a Dremel cutting wheel.

[edit] Another possible construction is a metal tube or spacer for a bearing covered with a bit of plastic tubing or even concentric layers of plastic tubing, available in many sizes.

[edit] I would also try hard wood dowel covered in shrink tube. It is a kind of tough natural plastic, different from soft wood, pine etc. Easy to round the ends. Trick is drilling a perfectly straight hole through it,
with a drill guide and various bits of wood. Put silicone grease on the metal shaft. The front ones are too thin I expect. Maybe metal tubing there covered by plastic tubing. No idea whether would work, but cheap to try. The Thomas Edison approach -- try everything in site, shotgun search.
Last edited by glnc222 on January 29th, 2016, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby VoronServer » January 29th, 2016, 5:32 pm

It seems funny why they don't add any rubber to the bumpers also. Just to prevent robot from damaging surrounding or even itself...
VoronServer

Postby glnc222 » January 29th, 2016, 6:01 pm

The bumper plastic is plenty rugged. It's the finish on your Louis XV antique chairs is the issue. Soft side of velcro makes a handy covering, as well as some window weather seals.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » January 29th, 2016, 6:04 pm

The bumper plastic is plenty rugged. It's the finish on your Louis XV antique chairs is the issue. Soft side of velcro makes a handy covering, as well as some window weather seals.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Wing Nut » January 29th, 2016, 6:57 pm

glnc222 wrote:There is a kind of liquid rubber paint for tool handles which might be tried, never used myself.

If that's what manufacturers have been using on electric toothbrush handles, HiFi volume knobs, older cellphones and the like, then it might start turning back into a liquid one day. I've had to replace some perfectly good gadgets just because they started getting too sticky to hold. I have a solar/wind-up radio that's leaving black marks on the windowsill and I've yet to figure out a solvent that only removes the rubber coating and doesn't affect the plastic underneath.

An old Samsung cellphone, that I considered as a handy back-up if its 'smarter' brother ever failed, had a rubber dust-plug in the earphone socket. I picked it up the other day only to get black 'paint' all over my hand. The rubber plug had turned to a sticky paste and fouled all the internal connections it was supposed to be preserving. I tried poking a toothpick into the gummed up socket, then freezing it, but the goop preferred to stay inside the phone.
#1 Neato XV-11 SW 2.0 Board Rev 113 / 3500mAh battery pack installed May 2013 / Pet & Allergy pack installed Sept 2013. In July 2014, received and repaired a faulty #2 Neato XV-11, running Lithium Power 4400mAh battery since July 2015
Wing Nut
Robot Addict

Next

Return to Neato Robotics