Best purchse among 630, XV-11 and mint for my needs.

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Best purchse among 630, XV-11 and mint for my needs.

Postby khwaja » March 3rd, 2013, 12:00 pm

Hi,
My Hoover upright vacuum is slowly dying. We are trying to invest into these robots instead of buying one more upright vacuum. We are staying in 1100 sq ft apartment which is mostly carpeted. But we are thinking of getting 2 story home with 3000 sq ft.

So far I bought Roomba 630 for $250, Neato XV-11 for $255 (including 3 year extended warranty) and Mint 4200 for $84. All of these purchased items, comes with one more year of extended warranty from credit card. It is easy for me to return mint to Samsclub for any issues and they do sell Roomba 585 for $280. Is there any difference between latest 630 series vs Roomba 585. How reliable are these devices? Do they run for 5-6 years without any issues. Please let us know which one makes better sense for our needs.

As of now, I am inclining towards Neato considering better suction and 3 year warranty. Any use of keeping mint along with Neato/Roomba.

Thanks
Last edited by khwaja on March 3rd, 2013, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khwaja

Re: Best purchse among 630, XV-11 and mint for my needs.

Postby Phane7 » March 3rd, 2013, 6:26 pm

The biggest difference between the 585 and the 630 is that the 585 supports scheduling.

I don't know much about the Mint, but if you're mostly carpet, I don't think you're going to have much need for it.

1100 square feet is pushing it for a single Roomba to cover. It'll likely get to every room for at least a few minutes of random pin-balling but not clean them all thoroughly. I think iRobot says the 500-600 series units are good for 850 sq feet and the 700 series are good for about 1250. You can let it run anyway and assume that it's random pattern will get everywhere eventually with enough runs (which is what I do) or you can divide the workload with virtual walls and run it manually.

The Neato should be able to handle either of those sized areas fine, though it might take quite a while since it'll probably need 2-3 charges to cover everything and each charge takes 2-3 hours to replenish.

I wouldn't count on either the Neato or the Roomba to run 5-6 years "without issue". Both units need routine maintenance (the Roomba slightly more than the Neato). The Neato will likely need a number of warranty replacements over that 3 year warranty (the 11 series breaks a LOT). The Roomba might last 5-6 years but only after a number of replacement parts over the life of the unit.

You probably want to get a cheap upright to back them up regardless. If for no other reason than the fact that they can't do stairs.
Phane7

Postby Wing Nut » March 3rd, 2013, 7:19 pm

I'm not sure any complicated autonomous device operating in a dusty environment is going to run without any issues for 5 - 6 years. If you read the threads for the main robovac brands, they all seem to attract posts from owners who've had something fail, fall off, wear out or not work as they'd expected, no matter if they're Neato, Roomba, LG or Samsung.

Judging from forum posts, Roombas have a reputation for poor after-sales service and costly parts. They also need de-hairing after every run even without a pet and the lighthouses constantly need new batteries. Since you have 3 robovacs already, you're no doubt aware of the abilities of each model. While Neatos are clever, fully automated, powerful and efficient, they have gained a reputation for being unreliable thanks to 3 main issues that have hopefully been resolved (wheel spring, RPS and most recently, faulty batteries), however, Neato has earned a reputation for excellent after-sales service and quick replacement, a week or less if you're in the US.

Since you already have 3 different models, maybe just watch and wait, especially since you've yet to buy the new home. The Mint does scrub, something the others can't do, so maybe keep it for the the kitchen and bathrooms? Personally though, I'd return the Roomba since you hardly need two robovacs and a scrubber for one apartment. Once you buy a bigger house, then consider another one if you don't want to carry the old one up and down stairs. There may be an improved model by then too. Ending up with a Mint plus two Neatos and two chargers should cover a 3000 sq.ft two storey home quite well. Even if one Neato needed repair, if the remaining one can use the other charger, then there's hardly any interruption to the cleaning routine while it's away for a few days.
Neato XV-11 SW 2.0 Board Rev 113 / 3500mAh battery pack installed May 2013 / Pet & Allergy pack installed Sept 2013
Wing Nut
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » March 4th, 2013, 12:18 am

It is unscientific to judge reliability by the handful of reports of warranty replacements reported in forums mainly dealing with complaints and problems, and make predictions that most units will require replacement. There are thousands of Neato's sold relative these reports, and if all Neato's failed under warranty as recounted here, the company would be out of business, at the prices it charges.

On the cynical side, it is possible the company is failing, and as a private instead of public company, no one outside is privy to that information. Economies are also in recession making a poor sales environment for all businesses even when basically sound. I notice a continued expansion of the distribution channels for the product, suggesting some success. Shortages of parts can go either way: shutting down production, or unanticipated high demand. Go figure.

The failure reports are mainly useful for revealing the types of failures which occur, from which certain inherent weaknesses in the technology or engineering can be identified in certain cases even from a single failure, e.g. an original poor design of the spring attachment with insufficient strength, fixed in redesign over a year ago. Many of these defects can be repaired without replacing units, should customers want to do some care themselves.

The long term durability of the units is still unknown since they were first supplied only a couple years ago or so, and none of them are old enough to really tell. The environment or usage will make a difference, as there are problems associated with pet hair contaminating motors, belts and gears in such low power mechanisms. In my opinion Neato's design is less susceptible to this than prior products, but others have more experience from which to judge. It depends on the severity of exposure for one thing.

As mechanical devices with unique, robotic technology, these products cannot be evaluated similar to ordinary household appliances running on high power levels with heavy duty parts. Vacuum cleaners are one of the most durable appliances made, similar to stoves and refrigerators. They cannot be compared with computerized miniature robots.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby khwaja » March 4th, 2013, 12:52 am

Hi Phane7, Wing Nut and glnc222,
Thanks for detailed information. I am going to stick with Neato with extended warranty for existing needs and return Roomba. I will hang on to Mint for some time and see if it can come handy with our future home situation. How is the Mint reliability compared with Roomba and Neato.
khwaja

Postby glnc222 » March 4th, 2013, 1:59 am

Isn't an XV-11 at $255 WITH a 3yr warranty an unusual low price? That's not the typical retail and would usually mean some refurb without warranty, would it not?. The insurance polucy behind the warranty is costly and part of the full retail difference.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » March 4th, 2013, 7:26 am

The Mint has only two moving parts (wheel motors) so it has a good chance of being reliable. My Mint has had no issues at all.

I have said before a Robotic vacuum will have to approach the reliability of a regular vacuum to become mainstream. Doesn't matter if it is more complex.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby khwaja » March 4th, 2013, 11:04 am

glnc222 wrote:Isn't an XV-11 at $255 WITH a 3yr warranty an unusual low price? That's not the typical retail and would usually mean some refurb without warranty, would it not?. The insurance polucy behind the warranty is costly and part of the full retail difference.

Walmart is selling them for $230. They are offering 3 years extended warranty for $28. This warranty starts from date of purchase. So it overlaps with 1 year mfg warranty. I am assuming that, they will redirect us to Neato during 1st year for any issues. Item description states it is new item but they have multiple listings for the same item at different price points. Not sure what is the difference.
khwaja

Postby khwaja » March 4th, 2013, 11:14 am

mfortuna wrote:The Mint has only two moving parts (wheel motors) so it has a good chance of being reliable. My Mint has had no issues at all.

I have said before a Robotic vacuum will have to approach the reliability of a regular vacuum to become mainstream. Doesn't matter if it is more complex.

Thanks mfortuna. I can hang on to Mint without worrying about extended warranty.
khwaja

Postby glnc222 » March 4th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Walmart is selling them for $230. They are offering 3 years extended warranty for $28.

Walmart's standard extended warranty for all appliances based on price. Customer pays shipping charges to and from Walmart, $20-30each way within U.S for the weight. When their cost of replacement exceeds the original purchase price, that price will be refunded in lieu of supplying a unit. Someone mentioned Neato Robotics offers used replacements out of warranty in that range indicating workable.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby khwaja » March 4th, 2013, 1:54 pm

glnc222 wrote:
Walmart is selling them for $230. They are offering 3 years extended warranty for $28.

Walmart's standard extended warranty for all appliances based on price. Customer pays shipping charges to and from Walmart, $20-30each way within U.S for the weight. When their cost of replacement exceeds the original purchase price, that price will be refunded in lieu of supplying a unit. Someone mentioned Neato Robotics offers used replacements out of warranty in that range indicating workable.

Accord to the terms, Walmart pays for shipping. They can refund the price paid in some case.
khwaja

Postby khwaja » March 5th, 2013, 12:15 pm

Hi,
Is there any difference between latest XV-11 compared to older ones. I am trying to understand board rev version mentioned on these forums. How do I check this information and what are the advantages with each version.
Thanks.
khwaja

Postby a4refillpad » March 5th, 2013, 7:28 pm

To check the version is very simple. It sits under the "support" menu option. In fact there are not many options on the neato menu system so surprised you haven't found already.

This thread has some of the differences viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16722
current bots: Clebo Arte, Vorwerk VR-100 (one broken one new), Neato XV-25, Neato XV-12, Roomba 564, Evo Mint 2, Roomba 770, Hauzen VC-RE70V, Samsung SR8980, Karcher RC3000, Robomow RL350 (lawnmower)
previous bots: Samsung SR8845, Neato XV-15
a4refillpad
Robot Addict

Postby khwaja » March 5th, 2013, 11:44 pm

a4refillpad wrote:To check the version is very simple. It sits under the "support" menu option. In fact there are not many options on the neato menu system so surprised you haven't found already.

Thanks for the information. I did the setup today. Mine came with 3.0 firmware and rev 64. I am not able to wake up Neato from sleep. I tried pressing red button multiple times. Display never comes up. After trying so many times, it randomly came up couple times. Now it is back to sleep. CSR told me to charge for 24 hours and contact them if problem still persists. Luckily I have 1 year mfg warranty on my unit.

Thanks
khwaja

Postby khwaja » March 6th, 2013, 1:24 am

khwaja wrote:
a4refillpad wrote:To check the version is very simple. It sits under the "support" menu option. In fact there are not many options on the neato menu system so surprised you haven't found already.

Thanks for the information. I did the setup today. Mine came with 3.0 firmware and rev 64. I am not able to wake up Neato from sleep. I tried pressing red button multiple times. Display never comes up. After trying so many times, it randomly came up couple times. Now it is back to sleep. CSR told me to charge for 24 hours and contact them if problem still persists. Luckily I have 1 year mfg warranty on my unit.

Thanks

Contacted Neato CS. Did press and hold start button for 20 seconds as per CSR recommendations. It did few force restarts. Everything seems to be working fine as of now. Green light is fully bright.
khwaja

Postby Phane7 » March 7th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Just FYI, that deal at Walmart.com is back up. $230 for an XV-11 and you can add on an additional 3 year warranty for another $28. It was enough to get me to give Neato another try since my Roomba just isn't doing as good a job.

Edit: Read fine print, 3 year warranty starts at purchase, not after manufacturer's 1 year warranty.
Phane7

Postby khwaja » March 12th, 2013, 11:54 am

Phane7 wrote:Just FYI, that deal at Walmart.com is back up. $230 for an XV-11 and you can add on an additional 3 year warranty for another $28. It was enough to get me to give Neato another try since my Roomba just isn't doing as good a job.

Edit: Read fine print, 3 year warranty starts at purchase, not after manufacturer's 1 year warranty.

Hi Phane7,
I bought my Neato for similar price and similar warranty. Extended warranty starts at purchase date. There might be one more year of extended warranty from credit card as well.
Unfortunately, i have some problem with my neat going into sleep mode once in a while. It does not respond to any input. Some times screen behaves odd. I am doing force restart to fix this issue. It starts recharging from the beginning again.
khwaja

Postby invenio » March 20th, 2013, 12:55 pm

khwaja wrote:
glnc222 wrote:Isn't an XV-11 at $255 WITH a 3yr warranty an unusual low price? That's not the typical retail and would usually mean some refurb without warranty, would it not?. The insurance polucy behind the warranty is costly and part of the full retail difference.

Walmart is selling them for $230. They are offering 3 years extended warranty for $28. This warranty starts from date of purchase. So it overlaps with 1 year mfg warranty. I am assuming that, they will redirect us to Neato during 1st year for any issues. Item description states it is new item but they have multiple listings for the same item at different price points. Not sure what is the difference.

This is exactly what I bought as well, including the $28 3 year warranty. The unit is new and shipped promptly. I actually bought the extended warranty about 2 weeks after getting the unit. You have up to 30 days to buy warranty on a unit (from the purchase date).
Robot: Neato Robotics XV-11 (with Vic's HEPA filter mod)
invenio
Robot Addict

Return to Neato Robotics