My vision was blocked. Please press OKAY (3000)

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

My vision was blocked. Please press OKAY (3000)

Postby ottoangel » May 10th, 2013, 4:16 am

Got this error "My vision was blocked. Please press OKAY (3000)". It seems that the LIDAR doesn't rotate at all. I have bought an XV-21 from Aimtofind but lives in Europe so it will be expensive to ship it back I guess.

Any ideas of what to do?
ottoangel

Re: My vision was blocked. Please press OKAY (3000)

Postby crowone » May 14th, 2013, 10:04 am

ottoangel wrote:It seems that the LIDAR doesn't rotate at all.

you sure about this?

Normally I clean the lidar with clean air.
crowone

Postby ottoangel » May 14th, 2013, 1:33 pm

When I am looking at it nothing moves at least. I think that it should rotate.
ottoangel

Postby vic7767 » May 14th, 2013, 1:44 pm

When the Clean button is pressed twice, the Lidar turret should start to spin up.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby ottoangel » May 14th, 2013, 1:59 pm

Yes and that is the normal way to start the cleaning. Now it starts to move away from the base. Just sits there and then the error message comes.
ottoangel

Postby vic7767 » May 14th, 2013, 2:39 pm

There is a motor and O-ring belt that spins up the Lidar unit. Only after the proper rpms are achieved will the Lidar begin outputting scan results to the Neato MCU. In your case there is no output due to no spin-up.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby ottoangel » May 14th, 2013, 3:32 pm

So I guess the solution is to ship it back then?
ottoangel

Postby vic7767 » May 14th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Ship it back to Who ? If your Neato was purchased with a warranty then the seller should repair or replace it.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby ottoangel » May 14th, 2013, 3:50 pm

As stated before " I have bought an XV-21 from Aimtofind but lives in Europe so it will be expensive to ship it back I guess."

When my battery died before Neato wouldn't send out new ones so I had to buy them my self.
ottoangel

Postby Kinga » July 21st, 2013, 10:59 pm

I have the same problem Ottoangel. Just started happening a few weeks ago after I installed new batteries and upgraded the firmware to 3.1

Did you ever get a solution or any explanation from Neato?

My warranty is voided so I have to try and fix it myself if I can.

Does anybody have a clue on how I should test whether the Neato LIDAR motor is burnt out? If I measure the resistance across the motor terminials should I get a certain value?
Kinga

Postby glnc222 » July 22nd, 2013, 1:27 am

Connect the Neato to a PC using USB and a terminal program such as hyperterminal or putty in Windows, and the driver installed for updating Neato firmware. Commands listed at Neato's website will test the Lidar and return all the scan data. In a quiet room you can hear the drum spinning or view it through the turret openings. You must first spin the drum with command SetLDSrotation. GetLDS returns scan, 360 lines of degrees direction, distance and intensity, ready to fire torpedos. Testmode must be set -- remember to turn off when done, not automatic. Testmode leaves motor power voltages engaged and should always be terminated.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby ottoangel » July 22nd, 2013, 5:58 am

I wrote on their Facebook page and they contacted me. They agreed to exchange the unit. But after two weeks of failed pick ups I got tired.

After I complained on their Facebook page again they finally took action. I was contacted by a normal person higher up in the company. He explained that my US unit was not valid for European warranty but he would exchange it anyway. He wanted the email conversation with Neato support so that he could sort things out. He was on vacation so I will have to wait a while I guess.

Kinga wrote:I have the same problem Ottoangel. Just started happening a few weeks ago after I installed new batteries and upgraded the firmware to 3.1

Did you ever get a solution or any explanation from Neato?

My warranty is voided so I have to try and fix it myself if I can.

Does anybody have a clue on how I should test whether the Neato LIDAR motor is burnt out? If I measure the resistance across the motor terminials should I get a certain value?
ottoangel

Postby Kinga » July 23rd, 2013, 12:39 am

glnc222 wrote:Connect the Neato to a PC using USB and a terminal program such as hyperterminal or putty in Windows, and the driver installed for updating Neato firmware. Commands listed at Neato's website will test the Lidar and return all the scan data. In a quiet room you can hear the drum spinning or view it through the turret openings. You must first spin the drum with command SetLDSrotation. GetLDS returns scan, 360 lines of degrees direction, distance and intensity, ready to fire torpedos. Testmode must be set -- remember to turn off when done, not automatic. Testmode leaves motor power voltages engaged and should always be terminated.

Sounds like fun :) Looking forward to this.

Neato gave me the website of the place that supplies them their spare parts but a LIDAR unit was around $250 plus delivery so I hope that doesn't become my only option. We are travelling to the States soon so will be able to pick up a brand new XV-21 for around $330 so not worth buying the LIDAR on the chance it might fix it.

EDIT Just realised I've done this Terminal thingy before when I had a different problem with the Neato. My memory is getting BAAADDD!!
Kinga

Postby Kinga » July 23rd, 2013, 6:17 am

No luck with Hyperterminal I'm afraid. I tried three different laptops/pcs, different USB cables and different USB ports.

Only on one laptop could even get one character echoed back from the Neato before it would disconnect. If I check the Detect Carrier Loss checkbox it will disconnect immediately so I don't think I have communications between the robot and the terminal.

The laptop that at least connected with one character is correctly identifying the Neato when it connects and giving me a Com Port number but Hyperterminal can't stay connected.

Perhaps another terminal program might work.

Any other suggestions?
Kinga

Postby Kinga » July 23rd, 2013, 7:35 pm

Got HyperTerminal communicating with the Neato ok on a Vista laptop no problems.

Just running through the programming guide looking at what commands I can give that might give a clue. The command to SetLDSRotation did nothing in TestMode (no movement from the turret. no error message). There were some beeps after a while and when I terminated TestMode the LCD screen displayed the Vision Blocked (3000) error message.

GetLDS did return data so I think the lazer and it's electronics are probably ok. Maybe just the motor. Perhaps I can give the SetLDSRotation and then do a GetMotors and perhaps the voltage reading of the motor might give me a clue.

The LIDAR motor appears to be identical to the wheel drive motors. I may be able to pick one of those up more cheaply than a LIDAR unit by the looks and see if I can swap it in.

Not sure how easy it is to remove the belt drivewheel to remove the motor. I hope it's not glued on.
Kinga

Postby vic7767 » July 23rd, 2013, 7:59 pm

The motor used to spin the Lidar turret is powered by 5vdc and is about half as high as the wheel drive motor. It requires a PWM signal to maintain the proper rpm. You can test the motor by connecting 5 volts or a little less (I used a 3.7 vdc LI-ion cell phone battery) and observe the polarity by connecting positive to the red wire and negative to the black.
Attachments
001.JPG

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » July 23rd, 2013, 8:11 pm

I should have mentioned many AMD laptops won't connect with the obsolete USB mode used by Neato; Intel machines do. Matter of system board I/O drivers for Nvidia, ATI chipsets incomplete. Nothing else seems to use that mode, single character packets. Normally Neato echos each character, like an old teletype, RS232 interfaces. There was such a serial interface header on the original system boards later removed, so they may have tacked usb onto it instead of using proper burst modes.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Kinga » July 23rd, 2013, 9:57 pm

Thanks glnc222, I knew about the AMD problem. I tried it on two Intel laptops and an AMD PC before finally getting it to work on the Vista machine (probably Intel as well).

Vic I did try a simple voltage application which produced no movment . 1.3v and then 2.6v but I'm not sure when I did it that I made good connection or that 2.6v would be enough.

After playing around with more test commands I'll try closer to 5v tonight.
Kinga

Postby vic7767 » July 23rd, 2013, 10:14 pm

Kinga, it seems that the motor should have run with 2.6 volts. There is a seller on ebay that has the complete Lidar unit for $125 but charges $25 shipping so you do have some options for replacement if the motor is in fact defective.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » July 24th, 2013, 1:06 am

Don't you have to supply a PWM input to get these motors to spin? Or max it on, an extra wire?
glnc222
Robot Master

Next

Return to Neato Robotics