My vision was blocked. Please press OKAY (3000)

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: My vision was blocked. Please press OKAY (3000)

Postby vic7767 » September 2nd, 2013, 1:35 pm

The RPM control of the Lidar motor is controlled by the speed indicator hex data contained in the Lidar output. It is PWM controlled. Here is a URL to the info: http://xv11hacking.wikispaces.com/Inter ... er+Devices
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » September 2nd, 2013, 8:14 pm

5v is lower than 6v specified supply by the same difference as 3700 rpm to 5 rps, and the rated speed could be unloaded. So still a chance it's slow, at least in ignorance of performance curves. PWM can slow but not speed up past max. You can actually get an accurate measure on film by analyzing a few hundred frames and time for a couple dozen revs. Still maybe in the readout already. My LDS dumps are so filled with error msgs would be hard put to say when the thing fails; the vacuum still runs.
[edit] Since the motor only draws 100ma a fairly simple transistor circuit might be able to drive it from Neato's 15v motor supply modulated by the existing lidar motor supply. Your time or your money.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Kinga » September 2nd, 2013, 9:53 pm

Of course me dropping the entire LIDAR from a metre height onto a tiled floor probably didn't help either...sigh

It MAY be mechanical. It may be sticking a bit as it spins around thus causing it to run slow for some cycles. Or the jarring when I dropped it might have knocked the laser and mirrors out of alignment or something.

Thanks for the link Ed. I figured it would be using the data from the LIDAR output to work out the speed.

With the new motor it is running about as well as it did with the repaired original motor. I haven't hooked it back up to Terminal but I will. I also plan to try this little hack and get a pictorial view of what it is seeing:

http://labviewhacker.com/doku.php?id=pr ... _interface

Will be heading to the States in a few weeks so I will pick up a cheap XV-21 from Walmart while I'm there. So this XV-11 has pretty much become the experimental, "get it to work if you can but don't stress if you can't" machine.

It's disapointing that the new motor didn't work straight out of the box but considering the errant behaviour is about the same as with my "repaired" original motor, I'm not sure that that the cheap motor is not a viable replacement. Something else may be going on
Kinga

Postby Kinga » September 2nd, 2013, 9:59 pm

BTW check my maths here: 5 RPS is 300 rpm so a motor capable of 3700 rpm at 6V unloaded should be able to run at 300rpm at 5v spinning that LIDAR wouldn't it? Or have I missed something?
Kinga

Postby glnc222 » September 2nd, 2013, 10:21 pm

such excess revs lost my decimal point. seems over specified. 300 usually geared? Not my specialty.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby ademox » December 22nd, 2013, 3:17 pm

I had the same error message with my Neato Signature. I press start button, Neato leaves charging station, vacuum motor speeds up, brush speeds up, lidar spins, then everything stops. Then motors start working again and then stop again. This happens three times and after that the error message displays. First it happened only occasionally, but today it was fatal. I tried to shut down and restart, pulled the on/off trigger inside dustbin, removed and reinstalled batteries, nothing helped. Then I connected it with my computer and "hacked" in with termal emulator app. Then I had some "fun" with almost every command I found from help. Neato responded well but since I did not understand exactly what I was doing, all of that basically did not help me. So I got tired, unplugged and tried to put Neato to cleanmode once more. And voila! The cleaning started :) Happy end, but what the hell this was all about? And what I did to fix it? Still confused...
ademox

Postby vic7767 » December 22nd, 2013, 3:39 pm

Guess you got lucky and managed to get the Lidar to spin up and operate and the laser openings cleared.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » December 22nd, 2013, 3:44 pm

The USB manual is at Neato's website. There is a log display which might show excessive errors from the Lidar scan, problem in the lidar module. Someone mentioned flicking the drum with a finger to loosen up.
[edit] turns out fingers don't fit through those slots -- maybe he used a Q-tip?
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby ademox » December 23rd, 2013, 4:33 am

LIDAR spins just fine on my Neato.

Anyway, the problem returned after two successful cleanings. Now what?
ademox

Postby ademox » December 23rd, 2013, 6:14 am

ademox wrote:LIDAR spins just fine on my Neato.

Anyway, the problem returned after two successful cleanings. Now what?

Ok, I connected with my robot once again and it seems that it is some sort of lidar problem indeed. I tested SetLDSrotation command and lidar starts spinning with variable speed - accelerates and slows down again. Does it have to do that? After a while it may start spinning at constant speed. Or it may not. Additionally, GetLDSscan command returnes zero results. I mean, yeah, I get the 360 degree output, but every line looks like this:

<degree>, 0, 0, 0

Last line:

ROTATION_SPEED,0.00

So it seems that LIDAR is completely blind. Lens look clear though. A faulty module?
ademox

Postby vic7767 » December 23rd, 2013, 11:07 am

The Lidar should attempt to reach 300 rpm and then begin its distance readings. You can suspect that the unit is defective.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby redpoint5 » December 23rd, 2013, 9:15 pm

The new firmware is garbage. I upgraded to verstion 3.1 from version 3.0, and it gave a "My vision is blocked. Plrease press OKAY 4000" error. I had worked just minutes before, I handled the robot very carefully, and no "dirt" got on the lidar. All I can assume is the new firmware sucks, and a Google search of the various (4xxx) error I'm getting seems to confirm this.

I smell a class action coming on...
redpoint5

Postby Doomsday » December 24th, 2013, 1:35 pm

glnc222 wrote:The USB manual is at Neato's website. There is a log display which might show excessive errors from the Lidar scan, problem in the lidar module. Someone mentioned flicking the drum with a finger to loosen up.
[edit] turns out fingers don't fit through those slots -- maybe he used a Q-tip?

I mentioned that in another thread but I used a small screwdriver (on the solid sides of the lidar, not the lens). When mine gets the error and wont restart, If you power it up and watch the lidar, its stuck and wont move. If you use something to give it a nudge to get it past its stuck spot, then it spins up freely and works. I havent gotten that error in a while though. Maybe that last nudge i gave it dislodged whatever was causing it to get stuck in the first place.
Doomsday
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » December 24th, 2013, 1:55 pm

That whole Lidar component is mounted on a plastic assembly that is then attached to a large ball bearing.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Marvin » February 18th, 2014, 3:49 am

Went into exactly same situation as Kinga. After battery replacement my Neato runs got longer and just on third or second run it stopped with 'my vision blocked 3000' error. Lidar motor was dead with break in motor leads. Took off plastics assembly from the motor and noticed that one of the brushes-springs was partially burnt out. Tried to fix it without success. Now ordered 6vdc 3700rpm motor from Ebay. Question is how to replace motor itself (assume it is glued to the plastic base) and wheel on the shaft to not break anything? Another option is to get whole lidar unit from ebay for around $100 but that's comparable to the price of new xv11 - which is going to sale for $120-150 from time to time.
So anyone with experience of the lidar motor replacement procedure will be of help. Seems that replacement motor has slotted shaft and the original has round shape - suppose I will need some glue and one or two toothpicks here...
Marvin

Postby pawel2m » February 18th, 2014, 6:17 am

Hello, got the same problem with customers XV11. Although lidar rotates - "my vision blocked 3000" appears on LCD display. Since this Neato is still on warranty, will be replaced to new one, but it seems to be a very common problem.

I was trying to update FW to 3.1, but with no luck. Strange...
pawel2m

Postby Kinga » March 3rd, 2014, 12:16 am

Hi Marvin,

You may have already found this out but removing the motor is really easy, it's just held with two screws under the belt pulley wheel. The belt wheel slides right off the shaft with a bit of force.

Marvin wrote:...So anyone with experience of the lidar motor replacement procedure will be of help. Seems that replacement motor has slotted shaft and the original has round shape - suppose I will need some glue and one or two toothpicks here...
Kinga

Postby Kinga » March 3rd, 2014, 12:21 am

My XV-11 is still in pieces. The experimental LabView hack thing didn't work for me so I never did get to see what the lidar was seeing represented graphically. I still have the option of graphing it myself by copying and pasting the data into excel as someone else has done but I wanted it live and dynamic. Perhaps someone else has developed an easy to use lidar visualiser since I tried the LabView one.

But while I was in the States I bought two Signatures and they are working flawlessly at the moment upstairs and downstairs so the XV-11 is very low priority.
Kinga

Postby Dugger » March 17th, 2014, 1:11 pm

I bought a refurbished Neato from Amazon. From the beginning I received the "Vision Blocked" error message most of the time. The Lidar was not rotating, unless I gave it a spin with small screwdriver. After disassembling the unit I found a mass of human hair in the Lidar unit. It was in the rotating portion and wrapped around the pulley and belt that drives the laser unit. Removing the pulley (just pop it off) another twirl of hair was found. All this hair was preventing rotation and causing the error. I can't imagine this hair was vacuumed. There is no vacuum path through the Lidar. My guess is the original owner was a barber or beauty shop where hair cuttings were falling down on the unit while it was charging or running around the room and got sucked into the Lidar tower.

After reassembly it now spins by itself, however, now I have a stuck bumper error. Oh well back at it :o)
Dugger

Postby vic7767 » March 17th, 2014, 1:57 pm

That stuck bumper error is most likely from one of the four black plastic tabs that mount onto each of the 4 micro-switch bumper springs that is cocked out of its normal position.

vic7767
Robot Master

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics