Neato XV-14 - "Please put my Dirt Bin back in"

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato XV-14 - "Please put my Dirt Bin back in"

Postby Lupa13 » July 23rd, 2013, 11:40 am

I bought my Neato on Costco last July 2012. I´ve been a happy owner and very "grateful" for its help...;-) Since two weeks ago though, it began telling me the Dirt Bin wasn´t there (although obviously it was, and also well attached or I would not be here writing this! ) and I tried to clean the better I could the dust bin sensor and saw that, only when I pull it with some "force applied" it worked. I´m using some folded piece of paper to force it down when closing the dirt bin and its working again, although I can foretell this isn´t the best thing to do. My question is: someone have had this problem before ? Is it just dust inside the sensor or will I need to replace it ??? Is there a "decent" fix to try ??

Thanks for any advice ;-)
Lupa13

Re: Neato XV-14 - "Please put my Dirt Bin back in"

Postby bodya » July 24th, 2013, 6:01 am

Where is dust bin sensor? I want to experiment with my XV-14.
bodya

Postby vic7767 » July 24th, 2013, 10:29 am

When you remove the bin there is a small black button located between two phillips head screws.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby bodya » July 24th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Topic viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16475

"Dust Bin Switch Fix
When the rubber button pressed by the dust bin ceases to indicate properly, the wires on the contact board can be shorted with a 2.2Kohm resistor to permanently close the switch. (Industry has odd favorite component values 22, 47, etc. instead of even numbers.) Remember not to run without the bin and filter."
bodya

Postby vic7767 » July 24th, 2013, 12:34 pm

Or, if not handy with a soldering iron, you can just order a replacement sensor assembly.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » July 24th, 2013, 12:55 pm

A small felt bumper stick-on dot on the edge of the bin can add pressure on the button.

Unfortunately the two screws around the button are the last two besides several on the bottom holding the top and bottom halves the case together, including the warranty seal screws.

For handling this switch, the cover need be only slid back a bit, without unplugging the fragile LCD cable etc. The wheel springs must be unhooked from the top of the case before separating the halves.

The top two screws are shorter because they butt against the top of the brush channel. They should not be over-tightened so as not to strip the soft plastic, and these shorter ones seem more vulnerable.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » July 25th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Problem With Resistor Jumper -- Neato Software

After running some times with the bin switch wired closed with a resistor, Neato suddenly decided to demand that the Dirt Bin be cleaned in case it was full. It will not clean without a switch open then closed sequence. Then with the jumper removed, it demands the bin be put in, which it won't detect. So some sort of switch will be required. Worse case a manual switch can be positioned somewhere to fool it, but there are also thin tact switches which might be jury rigged into the hole, have to see; there is some clearance from the rubber fitting thickness. The rubber to be replaced by the stem on the tact switch. Silly machine is too smart for its own good. Will also try cleaning the contact area with alcohol. It's just a simple switch.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » July 25th, 2013, 11:56 pm

Dust Bin Switch Servicing
DustBinSwitch.jpg
Neato Dust Bin Switch Assembly and Tact Switch

The problem here turned out to be some slight smudges visible on the switch contact area, presumably from the rubber button (not shown), as well as possibly insulating oil on the rubber from handling with fingers. Cleaning with alcohol (which dissolves oil, leaves no residue etc.) both rubber and board appears to have restored it as far as USB readout is concerned. Time will tell. The picture shows nice shiny contacts after cleaning. Note apparent gold plating. It should be durable, so the problem is contamination or wear on the rubber contact piece. This tech is used on TV remotes which get a lot of button presses. The rubber seems pretty tough.

When opening the case for this I do not unplug the wheels etc., just tape them down, and put the vacuum cover on to hold the fan in place.

For replacement of the switch board in a worst case, a small tact switch from Radio Shack is shown next to the switch board; the size is similar to the Neato switch contact area. The rubber plunger holding pins are on standard 1/10" perfboard spacing and the board is the same thickness. A round hole in a bit of perfboard filed out square would countersink the whole tact switch with the button just above the flat, with the rubber plunger used as a flexible stem for it. Longer stem switches are available, which can be cut down as needed, with just a round hole for the stem and the switch body underneath the flat. The 2.2K ohm resistor in line with the tact switch will reproduce properties of the original switch. Widen holes out for the rubber plunger feet. Even cardboard, with filler underneath, would suffice; or fill the whole cavity with epoxy paste. The original switch board and cable was seen listed on Ebay for $30 -- and you still have to open the case.

Epoxy fill is shown around the case screw hole on the left. The thin receptacle broke after many openings, is a bit too thin. I think it broke from trying epoxy inside the cylinder without filling outside, to correct a thread stripping problem; pressure might have been created self-threading into it.

courtesy of the Institute for Neatological Studies
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby johnnyoo » February 29th, 2016, 11:00 am

Thanks for the tips everyone! I fixed this item issue last night by cleaning the contacts with some nail polish remover. Gave it a test run and it "kinda" worked - so I don't get the "put the dust bin back in" message anymore, but the Neato was running in circles. Turns out one of the side sensors wasn't getting unchecked after push (I noticed that the one side wouldn't make an unclick sound after it was pushed). So I took the whole thing apart again at 11PM, thinking the side click paddles weren't aligned, now I fixed the side that was broken before, but the working side was giving me issues!

Here's what I learned - if you put this back together again, do NOT over tighten the screws along the bottom of the bumper sensor (I can't recall but I think there's like 8 of them) along the front in the shape of a big C. If you over tighten, the bumper can't move around freely. So if it gets bumped, it might stay in a "clicked" positioning. Also, the screwed are really weak. I had 2 of them break off! Will try to post a pic of what I'm talking about after on when I get home.

Also, make sure the wire that goes to the laser on the top doesn't get caught between the top and bottom casing. There's a clip inside the top casing, but you can also just use some tape - mine got caught twice and I had to remove everything again. Good news is I can take the whole thing apart and back together again in 30 mins now!

Thanks again for all your help.
johnnyoo

Postby glnc222 » February 29th, 2016, 2:59 pm

Nail polish remover is Acetone and can dissolve some plastics, removes paint. Alcohol for cleaning contacts.
In supermarkets etc.
For more precautions handling assembly see Mods&Repairs List top of main forum page.
Especially care not to rip the delicate surface mount cable off the LCD on older machines, and protect the levers on the wheel arm microswitches with a screw driver when attaching suspension springs.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Arele » August 24th, 2016, 7:46 pm

Just wanted to thank this forum for solving my perpetual "please put my dirt bin back in" problem. Kudos to the Doc for describing where the little black button between the two Phillips screws is. Depressing that button has solved my problem, at least for now anyway.

I even contacted the Neato company and they pretty much told me I'd have to send it to some repair place, which I can't imagine would be cheap, convenient or quick. So I turned to this forum and your advice worked!

Again, thanks so much!
Arele

Postby Kikketer » October 23rd, 2016, 11:46 pm

Thank you so much for suggesting to spray some contact cleaner. My initial idea was to put a whole new switch in place and turn my Neato into a Fraken-neato. After trying to make the button mash harder with tape and the like, I decided to just tear it down and spray some contact cleaner on it. IT WORKED!

For those of you who may get stuck trying to tear the neato down, there are a couple of "warranty voiding" screws that are hidden under some white tape once you remove the bottom panel. This video helped me realize it:

https://youtu.be/5F_Q6SBn0RU

Yes the video is for the 15 model, but it's the closest one I could find and it's almost right on.
Good luck to anyone else that has this issue.
Kikketer

Postby glnc222 » October 24th, 2016, 12:12 am

Cleaning with alcohol usually works. Links in Mods & Repairs list top of main forum page. It is not a switch as such, but the same type of button used on device keyboards, with a conductive rubber plunger. It is also open to some gradual dirt contamination. Durable gold contact traces good if cleaned.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Justlucky » February 11th, 2017, 7:15 pm

I had been having the "dirt bin" message for awhile, and had built up multiple layers of tape on the bin to help depress the button. This stopped working. I got a small spray can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner from local auto parts store, then without dismantling anything, gave a tiny spray to each side of the bin switch. It's working! I've removed all the tape, removed and replaced the bin a few times, gotten the appropriate msgs. Good to go. For now.
Justlucky

Postby NetToshi » March 22nd, 2017, 2:11 pm

I hope this helps. I've had the problem where the dirt bin would pop out slightly over my tiled floors for several weeks so I took an electrical tape and super glue and cut the tape to size of where it makes contact to the front end of the robot and glued it. I repeated the same steps to the receiving end on the robot and now the bin securely fits into place without ever coming out with the message.
NetToshi

Postby mfortuna » June 15th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Our dog is shedding and after about 20 minutes I checked the dust bin on my XV-11. The opening in the chassis as well as the opening in the dust bin were clogged. After I unclogged and emptied everything the dust bin kept popping loose and the robot kept telling my to put the dust bin back in. Turns out a small amount of debris got between between the chassis and dustbin and kept the bin from seating properly. There must be no clearance between the chassis and dustbin. Once I removed the debris the robot worked fine.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby surf » August 28th, 2017, 3:27 pm

NetToshi wrote:I hope this helps. I've had the problem where the dirt bin would pop out slightly over my tiled floors for several weeks so I took an electrical tape and super glue and cut the tape to size of where it makes contact to the front end of the robot and glued it. I repeated the same steps to the receiving end on the robot and now the bin securely fits into place without ever coming out with the message.

Can you send a pic of where you put the electrical tape. This drives me nuts on my tile floor.
Also does anyone else have the issue of the robot going for metal stools constantly, hence getting stuck under them? It's like they are a magnet to the metal legs. Thank you
surf

Postby surf » August 28th, 2017, 3:31 pm

Any one have issues with your Neato being attracted to metal bar stool legs? They navigate under them and get stuck every time and get stuck. I am constantly moving the stools but it seems to find them wherever I put them. It seems there is a magnetic field that attracts the Neato.
surf

Postby Brett » August 28th, 2017, 10:34 pm

The whole idea of a navigating robot is that it goes everywhere, so unless you put them up on the table or something, it will find them!

surf wrote:... Can you send a pic of where you put the electrical tape ...

There is a much better, more permanent fix - see the last post in this thread.

{EDIT: Pics from that thread included here.}

(-8
Last edited by Brett on August 30th, 2017, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby NetToshi » August 29th, 2017, 11:06 pm

I've super-glued the electrical tape to the location of the picture I've attached. I've also glued tape to the surface that the dirt bin's tape will come in contact with to make a snug fit. I've found that once the two rubber surfaces meet, they will stay intact. Hope it helps.
Attachments
NeatoTape.PNG
Taping Location
NeatoTape.PNG (278.94 KiB) Viewed 5420 times
NetToshi

Return to Neato Robotics