XV on-off switch mod, discussion

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

XV on-off switch mod, discussion

Postby Marvin » October 12th, 2013, 4:05 am

Hi,

Was thinking about installing an on-off switch on my Neato XV-21 to prevent it from self discharging. But few days ago I saw a photo of the new XV-21 battery compartment and noticed the aforementioned switch there.
So questions:
1. Did someone do this kind of mod and if yes what is the best place to put the switch into original wiring?
2. May someone with new XV-21 check what line(s) their switch disconnects/connects and how many poles does it have?

Photo of the new XV-21 dust bin compartment with on-off switch inside attached.

Regards,

Andrey
Attachments
neato on-off switch 440636015.jpg
new XV 21 hard on-off switch
Marvin

Re: XV on-off switch mod, discussion

Postby mfortuna » October 12th, 2013, 7:16 am

You could put the switch in line with one of the battery wires. You may need to extend the wires to find a suitable mounting spot. The easiest way to do this would be to make a small notch in a battery cover to allow the extension wires a place to come out and tape them down to the underside of the robot. You could then bring them up the side of the robot to a slide switch that is just attached top the top with double sided tape. Other than the notch and split battery wire you have not done anything too extreme with the bot.

This mod won't look so great. To do it nicer you would have to take the robot apart. If you get a new battery you would have to splice the switch into it.

Personally, I would just remove a battery cover and unplug a battery.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » October 13th, 2013, 1:29 pm

If you have the Rev-113 board, the power leads from both packs are wired up to a single connector where the (+ Red) lead could be cut and a single throw switch could be installed and then the case above the connector location could be cut to fit the switch. Make sure the switch is flush with the case so it does not interfere with the Lidar beam.
Attachments
Neato_Pwr.jpg
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Marvin » October 16th, 2013, 5:49 am

vic7767 wrote:Make sure the switch is flush with the case so it does not interfere with the Lidar beam.

Many thanks to pointing to this as the switch I bought is about 3-4 mm up from the plane. It will definitely interfere with lidar if placed on top. What about placing it on side or bottom of the unit? Another option is to place it inside the bin compartment but I doubt it is good idea to pull the bin in-out each time I need to turn off the robot. Also swithc in the bin compartment shall be completely recessed as I see no gaps there.

links which could be useful
http://hbrobotics.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tapping_the_XV-11_Battery,_Part_I
http://hbrobotics.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tapping_the_XV-11_Battery,_Part_II
http://hbrobotics.org/wiki/index.php?title=Disassembling_the_XV-11
Marvin

Postby glnc222 » October 16th, 2013, 1:05 pm

I doubt it is good idea to pull the bin in-out each time I need to turn off the robot

This should be questioned. The bin is frequently removed as part of regular use. It is the most easily accessed place to secure a switch from being accidentally actuated by external contact when operating. I think the system board must be removed to access the part of the case where it is installed, right next to the battery connectors -- which minimizes wiring run to the switch as well.
A more easily accessed place is behind the rear exhaust grill, actuating with a small screwdriver inserted through the grill. Any exposure of a switch on the surface can allow it to be touched by the unit scraping against surfaces when running. Wires can reach this area through spaces around connectors in the rear including the USB connector.
24 gauge wire may be needed for the 3 amp current load -- check tables. Insure the switch is rated for that, too.
The plastic arm on slide switches can be cut shorter with a thin hack saw, knife, cutting wheel etc.

Another place is into the inside of the wheel well.

[edit] anyone who has not opened the Neato case before might consult thread "Disassembly Precautions" for some fragile aspects requiring care http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16021&p=107467&hilit=disassembly+precautions#p107467
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » October 19th, 2013, 8:59 pm

battery wiring detail

batteryswitch.jpg
XV-11 battery wiring

A channel around the lidar under the system board runs wires between the batteries and the cable to the system board at the upper right. The battery on the left is the low side with brown wire from the plus terminal to the ground terminal on the other battery at the right, with black wire to the system ground. A switch in the dust bin could interupt the ground wire on that low side. The space on the high side at right is occupied by a ferrite collar noise filter on data lines. However, the system connector runs right by the opening to the connector in the wheel well for the hot ventilated resistor behind the exhaust grate, on the opposite side with wires around the grate top. Wires can fit around this connector into the wheel well and over a notch present into the side of the exhaust space. A switch can be mounted there with screws through the grate.

I have mounted Radio Shack sub-mini 3amp switches, about 1/4 x 3/4", there before with 1/4" inch square dowel spacers, using the switch screws into one side and #50 machine screws (also Radio Shack) through the grate (the switch comes with some thinner screw, like #1, unavailable separately). A screw could be put into the end of the switch tab to move from outside the grate, or a small probe can be inserted to reach it, with the tab up against the back of the grate.
The switch screw holes could be drilled out for the larger machine screws as well.

The system board does not need to be removed to access the battery connector on the left side or the system board connector on the right. Red wire is the 16v line to be switched there.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 18th, 2014, 4:03 am

Simple Switch Addition

It did not occur to me before, but having recently cut a substitute battery compartment cover out of sheet thermoplastic for auto use, an interesting way to add this switch appears to me to be a slide switch under the battery cover fastened flat, with the tab moved by inserting a pen tip or something into a slot in the cover. The recess should prevent accidental switching. Either the black ground wire in the low side pack or the red wire in the high side pack can be switched to disconnect the battery.

Almost anything can be used to make a substitute cover, and they are even available as parts if I recall correctly, would have to check. Drill 1/8" holes for the screws.

Now that the battery connector is identified as Molex 03-06-2042 (thanks to member Gordon) a couple dollars complete at Digi-Key (skip the expensive tools and solder it), might be possible to fit a jumper breakout plug in the space to avoid having to modify every battery pack connected.

The space would have to be checked for all to fit and a 3amp rated switch used. Radio Shack has a 3amp rated sub-mini slide switch quite small, but get from Digi-Key along with the Molex, higher rated if available. I think the wiring is 22 gauge, must carry the current, but not thicker. All other wiring inside much thinner.

This method also avoids opening the case any way voiding warranties.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics