Neato often does not return to base.

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Neato often does not return to base.

Postby Wing Nut » April 16th, 2017, 7:51 pm

glnc222 wrote:The load on the battery varies with flooring, carpet vs hard floor, and the path taken to return to base may not be estimated accurately. It would take a lot of computing with the map to do this precisely, keeping track of loads in different areas etc.

I guess that'd be why my downstairs XV-11 (still on a NiMH) occasionally stops about 2 'bot lengths shy of the dock. It initially deals with a big carpeted room, then typically finishes off on two hardwood and tile rooms before rolling back to base. I guess the trip home across the 'forgotten' carpet chews up more ergs than it sometimes accounts for and it decides not to risk a docking attempt (fire risk).

My upstairs XV-11 runs Li-ion packs, deals with a much larger area of carpet, hardwood and tile, and very very rarely fails to dock. Better battery endurance aside, however, its return journey is down a long hardwood hallway so its reserve power for docking should be adequate.
#1 Neato XV-11 SW 2.0 Board Rev 113 / 4400mAh Lithium Power battery installed Jan 2018 / Pet & Allergy pack installed Sept 2013. In July 2014, received and repaired a faulty #2 Neato XV-11, running Lithium Power 4400mAh battery since July 2015
Wing Nut
Robot Addict

Postby Tris » April 16th, 2017, 8:23 pm

It sounds much more plausible that the Neato just hasn't "seen" the dock. It is merely returning to its starting position, which is just in front of where the dock is.

Just starting from the dock isn't enough, it has to see it to get a proper fix on it. Bright sunlight can "dazzle" the Neato with IR, is the dock in a brightly lit area?
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby glnc222 » April 16th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Sunlight definitely another factor. "Sunblind" is one of the lidar error messages listed in the USB programming manual. In The XV models, a system log exists which could reveal this over the USB connection, but dropped in the Botvac. The Neato Control program could also be used to test the lidar in the vicinity of the dock. There have been some defective docks without proper reflective pattern foil behind the smoke plastic.
Too bad the software does not supply more useful info on the LCD on what it is doing, say under an option on the LCD to preserve convenience.

Sansung uses an IR emitter in the dock coded similar to virtual walls and TV remotes, not visible as far away as Neato reflectors. Often their bots make an initial incorrect approach and swing around for second attempts. Dyson has been observed to not always recognize their patterned docks right away either.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Wing Nut » April 18th, 2017, 3:27 am

Tris wrote:Bright sunlight can "dazzle" the Neato with IR, is the dock in a brightly lit area?

Both my docks are in well shaded locations, and no bright lights or reflective surfaces nearby either.
#1 Neato XV-11 SW 2.0 Board Rev 113 / 4400mAh Lithium Power battery installed Jan 2018 / Pet & Allergy pack installed Sept 2013. In July 2014, received and repaired a faulty #2 Neato XV-11, running Lithium Power 4400mAh battery since July 2015
Wing Nut
Robot Addict

Postby tunnsie » April 26th, 2018, 3:56 pm

I'm having the same issue with my D3.

When it is time to go back to base, it will wander the entire house. Sometimes going complete bonkers, twirling and insisting on trying to go through an wall.

Not a location issue. I have tried several locations.
Very frustrating.
tunnsie

Postby mfortuna » May 1st, 2018, 7:05 am

If you have an open concept style house the Neato will get confused if it enters a room that it left via a different exit. I have to use a magnetic strip to split my downstairs in two.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Previous

Return to Neato Robotics