Bumper Lowering Mod

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Bumper Lowering Mod

Postby glnc222 » January 27th, 2017, 3:56 am

Forgot to mention: if you want to use ABS plastic sheet available ebay etc., say 1/16 in., it can be bent and formed using a clothes iron on medium setting (hottest will be harder to control). Never thought of because don't iron much anymore. Don't get any Neato plastic hot though, as it is the same melting stuff. I would bend it around a wooden dowel or pipe for a rounded corner. For sharp right angles around a wood bar. Tricky not to warp the side bent. Flatten with the iron after if needed. Easier to use the vinyl plastic in wall corner guard fittings which forms cold.
It is not necessary to make the entire strip in one piece; two halves meeting in the center of the front will do. This allows adjusting lengths after bending. With the vinyl it is easy to make a single piece bending on the Neato bumper itself without melting concerns.
I once tried to dry out a washed Roomba dust bin in a low temp oven; produces interesting modern abstract sculpture. I would not leave robots in a hot car in summer sunlight.

Laytex paint does not stick well to plastic. On cars they add a glue-like binder chemical to spray paint. In spray cans there is Krylon Fusion brand. Binders also sold separately. Advantage to wood bumper. Clear packaging tape can be used besides colored tape (and fancy patterns in duct tape now). Maybe stick on paper mailing label material and paint that (though might soak through ruining the glue, haven't tried).
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby robobumpersam » September 13th, 2017, 9:06 pm

For those looking for a good quality product that fixes the problem: https://robobumper.jimdo.com/english/how-does-it-work/
Attachments
image (1).jpg
image (1).jpg (5.19 KiB) Viewed 248 times
robobumpersam

Postby grantb5 » September 13th, 2017, 11:04 pm

Anyone bought one in North America? Wondering about the total cost and delivery time. Also the "full eBay return" comment makes me wonder if they also sell them on eBay?
grantb5

Postby glnc222 » September 13th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Yes, as previously posted. Robobumper. I think they are indeed on ebay, easy enough to check -- but made and shipped in Germany. A German enterprise at least three years old now, should be reliable. Mail to the U.S., for such specialty items, will add to cost. Welcome offering for the consumer who is not a hobbyist with DIY interest. Too bad Neato Robotics does not supply it as an accessory. I guess they have a problem with anything suggesting their design is not perfect. The complexity of dwelling spaces presents a challenge to making such automatic machines. They work some places and can be improved in others.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » September 13th, 2017, 11:20 pm

I do not see it on ebay U.S., probably because the fees are not worth it for such a specialty item. They do ship internationally. Lot of Chinese merchants on ebay for the U.S., but not German. I think China subsidizes its international mail.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » September 13th, 2017, 11:25 pm

This is a very small enterprise, and with the cost of overseas mail, it is not practical to return items with such low value, except within the origin country I expect.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby grantb5 » September 14th, 2017, 11:06 am

I don't care about returning, but I would like to buy. I was just trying to follow the dots to this mysterious enterprise.
grantb5

Previous

Return to Neato Robotics