Bumper Lowering Mod

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Bumper Lowering Mod

Postby glnc222 » January 28th, 2015, 12:40 am

The tray part is working perfectly. It just tapes on, removable.
[edit] I have since discovered the wider 1 1/8 in. corner guard material which bends cold, and could be fastened with double sided tape, more like the German commercial robobumper.

Botvac will never fix this, IMHO. They do not seem to recognize the problem or see advantages in climbing more things -- even though they get stuck on them.
Last edited by glnc222 on January 26th, 2017, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby DogHairCleanUp » January 28th, 2015, 1:29 am

I tried to send a PM to you and I don't know if it went through. Thanks
Roomba vs Botvac Review Photos 01/28/15
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18315
DogHairCleanUp
Robot Groupie

Postby mfortuna » January 28th, 2015, 8:39 am

Go to messages and look in your outbox. If the message is there it has not been read.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 1st, 2015, 12:38 am

If not using the Tilt Reduction Mod to prevent pushing up the extension, there may be a way to help with the plastic tray or a cardboard version. On the sides, tape looped over the top of the extension and around the bottom of the bumper would hold that side piece down and may prevent the front from moving as well. Another piece of tape up the side and onto the bumper completes the fitting. The back edge of the extension is also taped around the back of the bumper. Lots of tape but no bailing wire...
bumpercut3.jpg
bumpercut3.jpg (5.37 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » August 20th, 2015, 12:39 pm

commercial version
An extension part for the VR200 or Botvac is now sold in Germany on ebay by some enterprising supplier.
Simple plastic strip with bent sides and attached mounting adhesive. http://www.ebay.de/itm/-/151786903017?
Expensive at 19 Euros. It appears to be in two parts perhaps for collapsed more compact and cheaper shipping.

[edit] treatment of the Vorwerk VR200 bumper in the German forum http://www.roboter-forum.com/showthread ... ischwinger
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » March 12th, 2016, 5:44 pm

Commercial Version Available
The German Robobumper commercial version, possible 3D print. For VR100,200 but adaptable to Neato Robotics I expect. Also on Ebay.de. For bar stools, tubular chair legs.
http://robobumper.jimdo.com/produkte/
Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8zSogulFCY
[edit] Maker confirmed they supply for Neato Robotics as well as Vorwerk.
Last edited by glnc222 on March 26th, 2016, 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby JEfromCanada » March 12th, 2016, 10:15 pm

What is the clearance with this mod? Does it adversely affect the robot's ability to navigate "typical" room transitions that are currently handled with no issues? Does it adversely affect the maximum angle the robot can attain when lifting its hind quarters?
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » March 12th, 2016, 10:36 pm

What I did was align the bottom edge of the bumper with the flat bottom of the brush guard, about 1/2 inch (1.3cm) off the floor. Beveled parts of the guard extend below that and lift the front over suitably curved obstacles and thresholds which do not trap the bot. The bots can otherwise climb onto heights which trap them. Letting them start such climbs is not effective as they cannot be completed. If you want them to climb 3/4 inch or 1 inch thresholds -- moldings that high are in lumber catalogs -- a ramp shape is needed, as by adding wedge shaped window and door framing moldings, perhaps in temporary fittings, whatever.
The stiff part of carpet edges can fit under the bumper even when the plush rises higher, as it is soft and compresses.
Too thick a carpet cannot be navigated across because of bogging down in it with the small wheels.
There is no perfect solution for every possible house. This is just one step which solves problems in some houses. A lot more experiments by users in different houses would be needed to know everything.

While people keep raising this question about the lowered edge, there are just no reports from users trying it on various floors, no problem reports yet. So if you need it, you can try a temporary cardboard piece on the front and see what problems there are in your house. With the bot turning right starting Spot Clean, it is pretty easy to point it at a problem height transition, see if it goes.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby grantb5 » September 20th, 2016, 3:04 pm

"SUCCESS!" I put that in quotes like "knock wood". In other words, so far, so good.

What I did was lower the bumper to about 1/2" (will verify actual # later) by adding a full wooden paint stirring stick from Home Depot along the front and also cut two shorter ones, about 3" long, on each side.

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fd3nLrTj8Zg/UcrkFP6kwZI/AAAAAAAAHd4/wzUe_WpfQy8/s1600/2013-06-20+131.jpg
[/img]

These are held on with 4-40 bolts and hardware ... about 3/8" long I guess. This required drilling into the bumper as well as the stir stick. Then I added some blue painters tape around the edge so that the wood does not damage any furniture. Ugly? Yes, for now. I can paint it later if it pans out over the long term.

So far the Botvac D85 has done the whole house twice. This includes several Ikea furniture pieces that caused issues before and there are also 2 rooms with wall-to-wall carpet as well as a few rugs here and there.

I have not done anything regarding the rear butt rising but will consider looking into that if it becomes an issue.
grantb5

Postby glnc222 » September 20th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Home Depot also carries plastic right angle corner guards (wider 1 1/8in) which can make thinner additions fastened with the same screws. Cuts with scissors. Leave a little right angle on the underside of straight portions, bends into shape around corners. Plastic doesn't paint as easily as wood (needs a binder, or Krylon Fusion spray), best cover with duck tape for color, or paint the inside surface.

(to show your pic here apparently you need to copy it into your computer and then upload it to this system; the external reference does not always work; it was just the paint stirring stick)
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby grantb5 » September 20th, 2016, 6:06 pm

"plastic right angle corner guards" are what exactly? Where would I find those (what department)?
grantb5

Postby glnc222 » September 20th, 2016, 7:01 pm

Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-1-1-8-in-x-1-1-8-in-x-4-ft-Plastic-Corner-Guard-Commercial-01184G/100118843
clear right angle protectors for outside corners of painted walls, against banging traffic, carts etc.
Usually in a basket on the floor in the paint dept. standing upright, but you can ask the clerks for directions.
I used the 3/4 in. for the XV models. See what fit you need. I think could also be attached with stronger automotive 3M double sided tape, given the German self-stick commercial accessory offered Robobumper.de.
The Trimaco and some others are vinyl, which bends. Not sure about any Lexan harder plastic. Fiddle with it in store.
Unlike ABS plastic sheet does not require heat to bend permanently.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby grantb5 » September 21st, 2016, 12:38 pm

Photos of my project so far:

P1050181.JPG

P1050180.JPG

P1050179.JPG

P1050182.JPG
grantb5

Postby glnc222 » September 21st, 2016, 1:23 pm

Thanks for photos.
Limiting the tilt (possible with duct tape -- stronger Gorrilla brand preferred -- on Botvac) is more relevant with carpet against walls, where backing into walls pushes down the front while flipping up the back under reverse motor torque. On carpet the lower front can dig into the plush with disrupting drag. Less a problem on smooth hard floors. Also with screw fastening, there is less a problem of pressure put on adhesive attachment. Of course the screws would seem to void any warranty. Replacement bumpers though, have become available I think.
If using wood, it would need to be painted when using tape instead of screws, as the glue does not work well on unsealed wood.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby grantb5 » September 21st, 2016, 2:24 pm

I did in fact use a replacement bumper. Not too worried about warranty though as I got a good deal on it from Bed,Bath & Beyond for <$350.
grantb5

Postby BrianD » January 26th, 2017, 10:49 am

Cheap and cheerful Botvac solution using piece of wood drilled and tapped then fixed from inside using three M3 nylon screws. It is only an undercoat as I have not yet found a matching top coat colour.
DSCN1316.JPG
BrianD

Postby glnc222 » January 26th, 2017, 1:05 pm

You may find the sides must also be treated because the Botvac can swivel sideways onto things when it is bumped in the front, very persistent. It depends on the particular furniture problem addressed.

To match the color I mixed Dark Grey and Dolphin Grey small 2 oz paint bottles from craft stores, Apple brand I think. It has a slight green tinge? Dab onto a small polyethylene or wax paper cup to which paint does not stick, or lid as palette, adjusting by eye. Close enough for government work. Photo prior post page 2.

Makes Botvac's great again.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby grantb5 » January 26th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Yeah I found that I needed to do the sides as well.

My unit is the one above ^^^ that has the blue painters tape on it. I did need to use screws (4-40 bolts & nuts actually). I just added the tape because the bumper also needs to be quite smooth. Otherwise it can catch on carpets when the rear tilts up.

Ideally the new lower bumper would have the same curvature and smooth finish as the original bumper does.
grantb5

Postby BrianD » January 26th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Thank you for the colour tip glnc222.

I thought about lowering the side bumpers but they will need to be very thin to avoid moving the side brush away from the wall.

So far lowering only the front has fixed my problem but we shall see.
BrianD

Postby glnc222 » January 26th, 2017, 2:33 pm

See the blue version just above yours, prior post. The bumper edge needs to be only as low as the bottom surface of the brush guard, just above the side brush. I should have addressed this earlier because I never used my side brush.
Things lower than this position are likely to be easily climbed and traversed by the Botvac. The design is off by only about a quarter inch.
I only recently noticed that wider 1 1/8 in. plastic corner guard can be cut to a wide strip. This plastic can be bent cold to match the corners. Similar to the commercial German Robobumper with double sided foam tape. The width is needed to supply a gluing area high up so leverage reduces the force from contact at the bottom. Screws make irrelevant; just a matter of warranty.
glnc222
Robot Master

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics