Neato Botvac

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato Botvac

Postby mfortuna » March 14th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Re: Neato Botvac

Postby mfortuna » March 14th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Here is a technical related release as well:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/neato-bot ... 00491.html
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby overdose » March 14th, 2014, 1:12 pm

fu,

since 2010 I'm saying, "I'll wait for a new release", and 3 weeks after buying the xv-12, they announce a new one.
I'm almost willing to exchange it...
Let see first if it really better.
overdose

Postby vic7767 » March 14th, 2014, 1:18 pm

Now that's some cool news Mike, very interesting new OS is now running the image and maneuver systems.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby JEfromCanada » March 14th, 2014, 1:36 pm

QNX is a remarkable operating system. The microkernel NEVER crashes. You know how, when you buy software, there's always that warning NOT to use it in a life-or-death environment? QNX was invented to be used in just such environments. A company I worked for used QNX back in the '80s to create laser-based quality control equipment for car assembly lines. Those scanners NEVER stopped working, except when we purposely took them offline. I can't wait to see how this software will help improve Neato's operation.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby johnnyh » March 14th, 2014, 1:42 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the turret assy looks like it is a bumper, meaning it might now be able to detect when the turret hangs up on an overhead obstruction - which is what I've been waiting for for a long time!
johnnyh
Robot Groupie

Postby neato » March 14th, 2014, 1:50 pm

The BotVac does not have a bumper on the turret cover.
neato
Neato Special Guest

Postby JEfromCanada » March 14th, 2014, 1:53 pm

It looks like www.neatorobotics.com website is under heavy load. With a WordPress-based website, I hope they have heavy duty hosting to handle the pressure. Right now, it's near impossible to read anything!
Current robots:
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » March 14th, 2014, 1:56 pm

Nice to see they are still in business, and meeting the competition. This could lead to more discounting of older models if it follows the pattern seen in other consumer electronics. It is hard to claim one model is an advance and charge the same for an older less capable model. The announcement does not seem to attach any significant price premium to the new model, which would imply lower prices for the old ones.
This could put pressure on Vorwerk to lower its price given how they have become more similar.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » March 14th, 2014, 2:01 pm

The BotVac does not have a bumper on the turret cover.

Of more interest is whether the bottom edge of the bumper is closer to the floor, for those Danish style furniture pieces which trapped the old models (fixed by an easy mod).
The turret bumper fix is even more trivial. Still something for the enterprising customer to do if needed.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby JEfromCanada » March 14th, 2014, 2:06 pm

The videos I watched on Vimeo led me to believe the bumper is slightly lower. It also appeared the centre of gravity might be slightly improved. I'll be eager to hear what people say who purchase early versions.
Current robots:
Roomba 560 (retired)
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » March 14th, 2014, 2:08 pm

I finally got to the website and noticed the Botvac appears to use a single 10 cell battery and not two 6 cells.
Mike
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby frenchie » March 14th, 2014, 2:15 pm

2 easy access buttons : one for spot cleaning, one for whole house.
Different turret shape. Maybe the software can detect a pinch from the top : keep the wheel springs under tension and if the tension changes (ie the robot is being pushed down), there is a pinch. Could be coupled with a tilt sensor : no tilt and tension change = pinch. Just a tension change = going over a transition....

The software part is going to be interesting.

THEY HAVE A SIDE BRUSH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit : And the suction head is 0.4 inches away from the side of the bot ! the underside is asymetric (spelling...) !
frenchie

Postby glnc222 » March 14th, 2014, 2:50 pm

keep the wheel springs under tension and if the tension changes (ie the robot is being pushed down), there is a pinch.

Interesting creative idea, but it has difficulties implementing, so I doubt they did that. The wheels extend when it tilts to move over obstacles, with a see-saw arrangement, and the wheels are normally fully depressed, with weight on a hard block. Maybe a pressure sensor could measure the effective weight then, and detect excess pressure from the top, but it bounces around a bit moving around, and it could be hard to filter out all the irrelevant shifts. By the time enough force is distinguished, it could be trapped and unable to respond to the detection.

Since all it takes is an upward extension to the bumper in the front, they don't seem interested in the problem anyway. Not enough customers have that difficulty to matter, and the aesthetics can pose a marketing problem.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby poorredman » March 14th, 2014, 3:19 pm

Pleased to see the side brush. But the battery setup is odd considering all the issues, why stick with NiMh? And only a 6mo warranty? Only consolation is that it appears the dimensions of the new battery compartment might make it easier to convert to LiPo or LiFePo.
poorredman

Postby shirgal » March 14th, 2014, 3:40 pm

I wonder why the wall sensor moved back quiet few inches from the bumper corner is it related to side brush space?
Also interesting on Exhaust do they change the outlet to blow air upwards we'll have to wait for that.
shirgal
Robot Addict

Postby robotreviews » March 14th, 2014, 3:48 pm

poorredman wrote:Pleased to see the side brush. But the battery setup is odd considering all the issues, why stick with NiMh? And only a 6mo warranty?

Honestly, I wouldn't consider one of these pricier models without an extended warranty. Fortunately, there are a lot of really good free options.

First, always buy expensive electronics with a credit card that automatically doubles the warranty. Most people don't even realize they have this benefit, but if you buy something with an American Express card you automatically get your warranty doubled through American Express for free. Most people are unaware of this benefit. Use it. It's free, and it doubles almost any warranty of 5 years or less on purchases of up to $10,000! Several other credit cards offer this protection as well, so if you use a different type of card check with the card issuer to see if it qualifies as well. If your using a Gold card, or some other premium credit card there is a very good chance it has this benefit.

If Hammacher or Costco carry this model, buy it from them if the price is competitive. Robotic Vacuums are still eligible for extended returns at Costco, and Hammacher famously offers a free lifetime warranty on everything that they sell.

If all else fails, there is always SquareTrade. In general, I prefer the free options, but if you absolutely must buy an extended warranty, Squaretrade is almost always the best value.
robotreviews
Chief Robot

Postby glnc222 » March 14th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Also interesting on Exhaust do they change the outlet to blow air upwards we'll have to wait for that.

That's supposed to be already on newer existing models, just an upward curved bottom to the rear compartment deflecting air up through the grill, so probably continued, so simple.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » March 14th, 2014, 4:27 pm

Hammacher

As posted long ago, Hammacher reneged on the lifetime warranty by supplying Roomba replacements for Neato's after they dropped the Neato line. Lifetime warranties are all a bit dubious. You'd pay a lot more for them you would think; something has to cover the inevitable cost.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » March 14th, 2014, 4:32 pm

THEY HAVE A SIDE BRUSH

Those don't clean carpets, but of more interest is the claim they've gotten the edge of the main brush closer to the wall, the real way to do it. That is a very attractive improvement, and clever work if they've managed it, there being inherent problems with the bumper structure and what not to overcome.
glnc222
Robot Master

Next

Return to Neato Robotics