neato xv-21 serial port wifi

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: neato xv-21 serial port wifi

Postby arnemauer » June 26th, 2014, 2:27 pm

glnc222 wrote:Wonder what the power requirements of the HAME are? There seem to be a number of these little hot spots for portable PC's and tablets, under different brands.

~300mA @ 3.7V (wifi enabled (regardless of txpower setting))
~220mA @ 3.7V (wifi disabled)

source: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=46339

glnc222 wrote:Since the batteries are replaced every year or so, there is no reason not to cut and tap connector leads.

The battery pack is not protected against under voltage if you connect the router directly to the battery. This it not a problem when you're Neato always charges on his base station. But what if Neato doesn't find the base-station or is cleaning upstairs?

Maybe there is a more efficient way of communication with Neato?
Maybe a RFM12B + atmega328 + MAX3421E in Neato
And a RFM12B + FTDI chip in a wireless router

RFM12B + atmega328 + MAX3421E will consume less then 0.1mA in sleep, 30mA receiving and 41mA sending. I think it is possible to use the power from the system-board with this power consumption.

Something like: http://moderndevice.com/product/jeelink ... assembled/
arnemauer

Postby glnc222 » June 26th, 2014, 2:40 pm

The battery pack is not protected against under voltage if you connect the router directly to the battery.

An important point. The Neato will shut down on insufficient voltage but the router will not, further draining the battery. There might be some way to use the Neato's port shutting down to close the router, something like that relay circuit mentioned with respect to the Hame A15.

300ma is enough load to noticeably reduce the Neato run time. Neato's running load is around 2.5amps. The extra .5 amps difference between an original filter and a Pet filter on the air flow reduces run time already.
These high interface loads come from the high capacity specified for USB and WiFi connections, compared to maybe simpler BlueTooth.

More detail on the Maxim solution would be welcome.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » June 26th, 2014, 4:21 pm

The Maxim IC mentioned with 45ma is a USB host device for a microcontroller, if I understand the datasheet. It does not include a wireless transceiver. So it would seem the power load could be mostly the microcontroller and especially the transceiver. As these are all included in the HAME etc. hot spots 300ma active, so maybe we don't have a full comparison yet?

It might also be possible to turn off the wireless after a clean house command is given, and turn it on again after the Neato docks. You could select what mode to use with the microcontroller program, run normally or wireless. The fan motor power line goes on only when Neato is running (or with TestMode ON over usb). Takes some filtering or hysteresis (takes several seconds to go off, for example, with heavy motor supply filter capacitors). The dock connection 22V can also be used, more easily, just debounced. Probably used as a microcontroller input, with no need to turn off those, having low power modes.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby arnemauer » June 26th, 2014, 5:21 pm

glnc222 wrote:The Maxim IC mentioned with 45ma is a USB host device for a microcontroller, if I understand the datasheet. It does not include a wireless transceiver. So it would seem the power load could be mostly the microcontroller and especially the transceiver. As these are all included in the HAME etc. hot spots 300ma active, so maybe we don't have a full comparison yet?

You're right about the power consumption of de maxim ic. BUT the maxim IC is only consuming power when communicating with Neato. After issuing the clean command it will shutdown and uses 30 µA. The question is how to deal with the peaks? Well, maybe a supercap can do the job...
arnemauer

Postby Pavel.Kab » June 27th, 2014, 3:50 am

undertoe wrote:Mine is operational and fits nicely in the back fan compartment! I just used a tiny solid state relay just cause i am sending minimal commands at it and plus its all i had access to. just so everyone knows my setup is done as referenced above in the picture

you just setup the Hame's WAN and Wifi and give it your networks settings. Once it reboots you can telnet to it and run the following command to initiate the clean command

Code: Select all
gpio l 8 0 4000 1 0 4000 && echo "Clean" > /dev/ttyACM0 && gpio l 8 4000 0 1 0 4000

On my A15 version i did not have gpio in the sys folders so I had to use this method.

So why do you think its all about your A15 version? Maybe its about using OpenWrt in the end?
Pavel.Kab

Postby Pavel.Kab » June 27th, 2014, 3:58 am

About router power consumption - i dont think its realy a problem. Even if ~1h of runtime is not enough, Neato always can, automaticaly, return to its base, charge it self and continue cleaning from last point.
Pavel.Kab

Postby arnemauer » June 27th, 2014, 4:06 am

Pavel.Kab wrote:About router power consumption - i dont think its realy a problem. Even if ~1h of runtime is not enough, Neato always can, automaticaly, return to its base, charge it self and continue cleaning from last point.

My first thought of protecting the battery was a transistor or mosfet connected to the powerline of a sensor. This wont work because Neato shuts power down when charging. So, we have to connect the transistor/mosfet to system 5v.
arnemauer

Postby undertoe » June 27th, 2014, 8:28 am

Pavel.Kab wrote:So why do you think its all about your A15 version? Maybe its about using OpenWrt in the end?

Agreed, but i guess it is a matter of how far do you want to go and time to invest. Sure openwrt can be put on there, with lighthttp running and cgi scripts to send REST commands or URL get requests to send and receive ACM serial data. That way you don't need a terminal client to issue commands. Just open up a web browser. That was always my original goal. That could be done with little effort just more time invested.

Pavel, don't think you answered my question does what you have handle reading and writing to the USB? Are you actually checking the state of the device "GetButtons" "GetCharger" "GetErr" commands? Or are you simply just blindly throwing "Clean" command at it?
undertoe

Postby Pavel.Kab » June 27th, 2014, 1:58 pm

undertoe wrote:Pavel, don't think you answered my question does what you have handle reading and writing to the USB? Are you actually checking the state of the device "GetButtons" "GetCharger" "GetErr" commands? Or are you simply just blindly throwing "Clean" command at it?

I'm confused. Not sure i do understad you question.
Let me explain onece again, its very simple: router is ON and connected to the Neato's USB directly (power suply controled by gpio8 as you know); Wifi is On and connected to my hone WiFi router; I, from my desktop (or any other computer) call telnet directly on 'small' router; and then, as usualy, type in TestMode On and then SetMotor XXXX.
So the last part is to make a script whith keybindings to control the Neato like the RC-car from keyboard or any other input device.
As simple as that. Do i make my self clear?

And of course i can use "GetXXXX" commands, but how can they be useful for us?
Last edited by Pavel.Kab on June 27th, 2014, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel.Kab

Postby undertoe » June 27th, 2014, 2:19 pm

I find it easier to talk to my Neato than to you Pav :)
undertoe

Postby Pavel.Kab » June 27th, 2014, 2:33 pm

:o :(
Pavel.Kab

Postby mfortuna » June 27th, 2014, 7:13 pm

In hacking roombas, the "retrieve status" commands are very important. I would assume useful information could be obtained from the Neato getanalogsensors and getdigitalsensor commands for example.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » July 13th, 2014, 3:26 pm

What am I missing in this procedure? I have the Hame 15 setup, and connected to the Botvac but when I send the GPIO command it's not seeing the ttyACM0.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Telnet conversation after login & password and inside the /bin directory

# gpio l 8 0 4000 1 0 4000 && echo "Clean" > /dev/ttyACM0 && gpio l 8 4000 0 1 0
-sh: can't create /dev/ttyACM0: Invalid argument
# cd ..
# cd dev
# ls
watchdog ttyUSB2 sda9 ram2 mtr0 mtd5ro lcd
video0 ttyUSB10 sda8 ram1 mtdblock7 mtd5 kmem
urandom ttyUSB1 sda7 ram0 mtdblock6 mtd4ro i2s0
ttyp1 ttyUSB0 sda6 ram mtdblock5 mtd4 i2cM0
ttyp0 ttyS1 sda5 ptyp1 mtdblock4 mtd3ro hwnat0
ttyVIA0 ttyS0 sda4 ptyp0 mtdblock3 mtd3 gpio
ttyUSB9 ttyACM4 sda3 pts mtdblock2 mtd2ro fuse
ttyUSB8 ttyACM3 sda2 ptmx mtdblock1 mtd2 flash0
ttyUSB7 ttyACM2 sda1 ppp mtdblock0 mtd1ro console
ttyUSB6 ttyACM1 sda pcm0 mtd7ro mtd1 cls0
ttyUSB5 ttyACM0 rdm0 nvram mtd7 mtd0ro cdc-wdm0
ttyUSB4 swnat0 random null mtd6ro mtd0 acl0
ttyUSB3 sr0 ram3 net mtd6 mem ac0
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Hydra » October 22nd, 2014, 12:59 am

Hi Vic,

did you figure out what your problem was? Is it running now?
Is the power switching still needed on the Botvac series?
Hydra

Postby vic7767 » October 22nd, 2014, 9:37 am

No, the issue is not resolved. Don't understand the power switching question.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Pavel.Kab » October 26th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Hellow to all!
Its been a while!
So, does any one managed to make his own wifi control? Or did repeated my assemble?

And yes, mine is still working and i do use it everyday. Even just send "clean" command easier than raise your ass off the couch and press "Start" button! :)
Pavel.Kab

Postby vic7767 » October 26th, 2014, 12:53 pm

Pavel.Kab wrote:So, does any one managed to make his own wifi control?
No, still have issue with tty controller in the gpio command line.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Pavel.Kab » October 27th, 2014, 12:37 pm

Maybe you should use OpenWrt on the router as i did?
Pavel.Kab

Postby vic7767 » October 27th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Pavel.Kab wrote:Maybe you should use OpenWrt on the router as i did?

Some have more experience using this hardware and tools than others. I'm not sure where OpenWrt is located and how to use it with this Botvac application.

A step by step explanation would be nice.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Pavel.Kab » October 28th, 2014, 3:15 am

OpenWrt is a embedded OS for routers and others. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenWrt
So the goal is to flash it into our Hame A15 device, then configure, then do this: http://xv11hacking.wikispaces.com/Neato+XV+series+WiFi+remote+control. , then connect via wifi, then use telnet (for instance) to be able send commands to Neato vaccuum.
Any questions in this part?
Pavel.Kab

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics