Wake Neato up from dead mode

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby dsstrainer » April 14th, 2016, 10:34 am

I just performed a successful C10-ectomy on my XV-21 and we are back in business :)
It was about a 2 hour process... and yes I have 2 extra screws left over because I couldn't remember where they went... but there were a LOT of unnecessary screws in that pig to begin with so I think it's ok. The patient is in recovery but I gave it a run late last night for about 2 mins and it seems to be working fine.
:cheers:
dsstrainer

Postby Brett » April 15th, 2016, 8:31 am

dsstrainer wrote:... and yes I have 2 extra screws left over ...

Those two under the dust bin?

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby grapedrink » April 21st, 2016, 10:17 pm

dsstrainer wrote:I just performed a successful C10-ectomy on my XV-21 and we are back in business :)
It was about a 2 hour process... and yes I have 2 extra screws left over because I couldn't remember where they went... but there were a LOT of unnecessary screws in that pig to begin with so I think it's ok. The patient is in recovery but I gave it a run late last night for about 2 mins and it seems to be working fine.
:cheers:

Don't hold your breath. It will begin developing issues soon.

Like you, I thought the C10 replacement would solve issues with the Vac completely but it doesn't.
What happens with mine is every time I run, I start the cleaning run, and after 5 minutes, the vac reports low battery. Then I have to carry it and put it back the charging dock, after it charges for about 10 minutes only then does it run for about 15-30 minutes.
grapedrink
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » April 21st, 2016, 11:00 pm

grapedrink wrote:Don't hold your breath. It will begin developing issues soon.
How old are the packs in your Neato?
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » April 21st, 2016, 11:10 pm

Short charging time and short run time are symptoms of defective batteries which do not hold a charge, have lost capacity. The small capacity is quickly filled and drained. The charger detects normal end of charging condition, battery filled, but not much charge has been added.

The end of charging is signaled by heating in NiMh batteries.
Defective or worn batteries will show voltages similar to good ones and just exhibit low capacity.

Of course, the charging process can also be at fault. Over USB there is a Fuel Gauge per cent which should show close to 100 when finished charging, but I am not sure how affected by worn batteries. The charging current can be observed over USB etc. There have been cases of defective docks.
It is also possible the sensor circuits for monitoring the battery are not working properly, in which case the system board would need replacement.

Besides C10 some users have replaced all the electrolytic capacitors. C10 was involved in power supply to the cpu and memory, not starting up properly. A unique situation occurred where the processor saw an empty memory starting too slow, and went into firmware update mode.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Siggy169 » April 28th, 2016, 6:33 am

I can not believe that Neato havent yet fixed this issue.

I had an XV21 that eventually died 1 week after the warranty expired, and by died I mean it would no longer charge, just sit on the dock flashing its green light at me and doing nothing. New batteries extended its life by a few months and the USB trick by a few weeks, after that nothing.

I read others had issues but I thought I just had a lemon - as when it worked it was absolutely fantastic and my wife loved it.

3 months after it dies I decided to get another one - I know I am stupid - a Botvac 85 - I seriously thought they would have solved this issue by now.

BUT NO - if it doesnt make it back to base for any reason, it shuts down and dies. This is only 4 months old. I have been doing the power off and leave off the base for 15 mins and then power on and oput back on base, and that has been working for the last 2 months.
Now - nothing - red flashing led, and then green solid LED and then stays green but doesnt charge or turn on again.

They seriously need to look at their software and pit some tolerance into it so that the robot doesnt just die if it cant get back to base /end rant

Does anyone know how to revive a botvac 85 please?
Siggy169

Postby JEfromCanada » April 28th, 2016, 8:35 am

If your unit is only a few months old, you should get it replaced under warranty rather than trying to fix it.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby Siggy169 » April 29th, 2016, 4:42 am

Thanks,
That's my next step - but it is a hassle!
Siggy169

Postby shirgal » May 9th, 2016, 6:07 am

Siggy169
To revive your D85 try holding the start for 15sec or more until no light is visible,
Than click start again and watch if it revives to life.
Let me know how it went.
shirgal
Robot Addict

Postby korna » January 22nd, 2017, 7:38 am

On my XV-25 I had the constant green led and no display problem. So I replaced the C10 capacitor and all others of the same type. The XV-25 starts up however, I now get error "battery issue 0002".

Any suggestions on how to diagnose the problem?
korna

Postby glnc222 » January 22nd, 2017, 1:46 pm

Power it on the dock if necessary and read battery conditions over USB (with Neato Control Program etc.).
We do not have definitions of the different battery error numbers, but a search of the forum shows a lot of them are due to depressed pins in the battery Molex connector. Press on the pins (both battery and Neato sides) with a screw driver to see if firmly fastened. Depressed ones can sometimes be fixed just pulling up with pliers.
Neato measures battery voltage, current, and temperature shown over USB, and responds to anomalies preventing normal operation with error messages. The battery switch on some units can also be faulty.
One user reported an interesting procedure of booting the computer on the dock with the battery disconnected and then connecting the battery after the cpu is running.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 3rd, 2017, 11:53 pm

Repair Videos
Several Youtube videos show this repair, some with dubious soldering technique:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw4JVeu5pxs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHdOYKNjcV0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR7yx-E1Y14

The electrolytic capacitor is polarized, observe the orientation and markings + and -. To remove the capacitor apply iron to the back side on one pin while inserting a knife blade under and prying up. Alternate between pins to lift out pins a little at a time. User sucking tool to remove solder from hole, applying iron to back and sucker to the front.
Also once lifted slightly the pins can be clipped and the remainder pulled with pliers while heating.
glnc222
Robot Master

Previous

Return to Neato Robotics