Wake Neato up from dead mode

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby grapedrink » December 16th, 2015, 6:28 pm

glnc222 wrote:You should have that part somewhere. This is the grate which fits in a slot behind the dust bin against which the filter will be pressed by suction. It just slides in. You can make a replacement any number of ways I imagine.
Since the filter is also clipped into the bin perhaps it is superfluous, don't know. Perhaps the frame on an old filter could be used, have to check.


Yer agree, it did seem a bit superfluous. I am going to run the Neato a couple of times and see how it collects dust.

So glad the C10 replacement worked! Made my week! Appreciate everyone's knowledge on this forum, total lifesaver.

Edit: Neato seems to be running fine, I think the piece of plastic is more of a precautionary thing than a necessity...
grapedrink
Robot Groupie
 
Posts: 84
Joined: March 5th, 2012, 7:11 am

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby 595 » February 2nd, 2016, 11:36 am

After finding this forum reading the Wake Neato up from dead mode today I just spent the best 80 cents ever. Took about an hour of my time to disassemble and change the cap for a 35V 220uF reassemble and voila a XV21 back in action. So thanks to the diagnostic guru who figured this out because I was seriously looking at buying the mainboard but just couldn't believe the price especially here in Australia I was quoted AUD$185 and from Ebay with international shipping a second hand board and shipping would of been around AUD$100.
:cheers:
595
 
Posts: 2
Joined: November 17th, 2015, 2:01 am

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby grapedrink » February 2nd, 2016, 7:32 pm

So after using my Neato after changing the capacitor, it has developed another issue.
When I get it to clean, after about 2 minutes, it will stop completely and claim it has run out of battery, even though it has been fully charged. I then have to charge it for another 10 minutes, and only then does it get a decent run (about 20 minutes of cleaning). It does this everytime.

So yer, I'm officially done with my Neato after 3 years of headaches and non-stop issues. Its sitting in a corner collecting dust (ironically) and I won't be using it anymore.

I've given up with the Neato. Not to sound disrespectful, but Americans just don't understand quality design/engineering. Every American hardware product I have purchased is always half-way finished, unpolished and doesn't last long.

My Karcher RC3000 has been operating effortlessly for the last 4 years and my new LG is out-performing the Neato by a long shot. My advice is, avoid any American made robots, and stick to German / Chinese / Korean designed and manufactured robots, their engineering is miles ahead, they just "get it".
Last edited by grapedrink on February 3rd, 2016, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
grapedrink
Robot Groupie
 
Posts: 84
Joined: March 5th, 2012, 7:11 am

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby glnc222 » February 3rd, 2016, 12:31 am

Which LG model is that?
The website says Hom Bot discontinued product, and vacuum cleaners are not listed among their appliances.
Perhaps they decided to leave it to Samsung across the street in Korea, like the one I am trying from Australia. There has been a slump in consumer electronics which could affect them, problems at Samsung etc.
Neato's are also made in China, just not by a large consumer electronics company, Nor by an expensive industrial contractor like Avnet.
glnc222
Robot Master
 
Posts: 4074
Joined: January 23rd, 2012, 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina, U.S.

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby grapedrink » February 3rd, 2016, 1:13 am

LG RoboKing's are a solid product. Highly recommended. I find they clean better than Roombas and Neatos. They are also VERY quiet, and I mean VERY quiet (even quieter than the Karcher RC3000).

The American rubbish was too loud and highly inefficient (not a good balance of power and cleaning time). Everyone I showed my Roomba and Neatos to thought they were too loud, and performance was always unreliable. I will never again purchase an American made robot, they are complete and utter rubbish. I literally learned how to solder just to replace the capacitor on my Neato, only to find it hasn't even fully solved the issues with the vac. Neato are an absolute joke.

My Karcher RC3000 will always be my favorite (these are now discontinued), but the LG comes in second.

Things might change once the Dyson 360 Eye comes out though!
grapedrink
Robot Groupie
 
Posts: 84
Joined: March 5th, 2012, 7:11 am

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby Brett » February 3rd, 2016, 7:48 am

grapedrink wrote:LG RoboKing's are a solid product. Highly recommended. I find they clean better than Roombas and Neatos.

No.

grapedrink wrote:They are also VERY quiet, and I mean VERY quiet ...

Yes.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
User avatar
Brett
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 253
Joined: November 2nd, 2009, 8:50 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby grapedrink » February 3rd, 2016, 8:12 am

Brett wrote:
grapedrink wrote:LG RoboKing's are a solid product. Highly recommended. I find they clean better than Roombas and Neatos.

No.

grapedrink wrote:They are also VERY quiet, and I mean VERY quiet ...

Yes.


Care to elaborate on your experience with Robokings and Roomba/Neatos? Or are you just trolling?
I find the Roboking to be smarter and more efficient than both the Roomba and Neato, with more thorough cleaning patterns and smarter AI (also the dual front rotating brushes on the Roboking work very well).

Not only that, the Roboking actually completes its cleaning cycles which is amazing compared to the constant unreliability of the Neato.

I have had experience with all three so am in a position to comment.
grapedrink
Robot Groupie
 
Posts: 84
Joined: March 5th, 2012, 7:11 am

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby Brett » February 3rd, 2016, 8:47 am

I was merely expressing my opinion.

My opinion is however supported by working on Roombas, Neatos, LGs, Samsungs and various random Chinese Loombas (heh!) daily - granted, mainly the first two. This includes diagnostics and testing repairs and servicing.

I also have close contact with my customers and their real world experiences, some of whom I have recommended change camps with their robot choices, and have their feedback as part of my body of opinion-forming stories.

I make no claim to be an expert - quite the contrary - I learn from this place all the time.

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
User avatar
Brett
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 253
Joined: November 2nd, 2009, 8:50 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby grapedrink » February 3rd, 2016, 9:09 am

Brett wrote:I was merely expressing my opinion.

My opinion is however supported by working on Roombas, Neatos, LGs, Samsungs and various random Chinese Loombas (heh!) daily - granted, mainly the first two. This includes diagnostics and testing repairs and servicing.

I also have close contact with my customers and their real world experiences, some of whom I have recommended change camps with their robot choices, and have their feedback as part of my body of opinion-forming stories.

I make no claim to be an expert - quite the contrary - I learn from this place all the time.

(-8


I suggest you run the aforementioned robots in your home for an extended period before coming to conclusions based on others opinions, its the only way you will truly know. I do respect your opinions, but so far my experiences (have been using robotic vacs of different brands in my house for about 7 years non-stop) have proven to me that American engineered robotic vacs are the least reliable and least effective at getting the job done PROPERLY.

Also in future, don't reply to people's posts with one word answers, its disrespectful and wastes peoples time (mostly mine), because I have to seek clarification for something you should have explained in the first place.

Anyway, I won't drag this thread further off-topic. No more Neatos for me, ever.
grapedrink
Robot Groupie
 
Posts: 84
Joined: March 5th, 2012, 7:11 am

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby Brett » February 3rd, 2016, 11:01 am

{@Mods: Maybe move the last few posts in this thread to a new one in the "All other Robots" section?}

I think you misunderstand. I run this little hobby business from home and 'testing' is not poking and prodding on the bench, BiTs etc but running full shifts in my ... talking of wasting time.

If you have read more than a few threads in this forum then you would already know that your stance is not commonplace among members - but that is okay. Maybe you would have been happier if I'd said "Disagree" and "Agreed"?

Your "Tips for good forum practice" should also include thread jacking, excessive quoting. Not to mention the suggestion that unless I have more than blah blah experience on the subject that I should not voice an opinion.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
User avatar
Brett
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 253
Joined: November 2nd, 2009, 8:50 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby psu1 » February 11th, 2016, 2:46 am

Hi all,

I am new to this forum as this is my 1st post. Obviously, our Neato has died. It is about 2 years old and a refurbished model from eBay. It was advertised as an XV-21 but now that I had problems I see the bottom of the unit identified as XV-11. A review of the initial posting however identified that the units could be a mixture of parts but was an XV-21.

The unit has had minimal use. The batteries test fine at 8.3v. Even tried new batteries from a new XV-12 we just purchased. The 1st problem started about 2 months ago where the LCD stopped displaying text. It remained lit though. Then last week the unit stopped performing completely. The green and amber lights work but all the unit does is beep.

Tried the USB connection but no changes. Did internet researches and found the description of the C-10 issues. Watched several dis-assembly/repair videos on youtube and figured that I should be able to do that. To my surprise I found that I have the Cruz Main Board Rev 7, Part# 915-0022 Rev 1 and so no C-10 piece.

It is the same as the board pictured above. The only difference is that the 2 pin connector in the upper left is open.

Now for my questions. Is this board known for specific problems? If so, what would be the repairs? Is the motherboard the likely culprit given the described issues? Would a motherboard replacement likely fix the issue if component repairs can't be made? I'd hate to trash the unit and would probably wait until I find a reasonably priced motherboard online. Thanks in advance!

psu1
psu1
 
Posts: 2
Joined: February 10th, 2016, 9:11 pm

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby glnc222 » February 11th, 2016, 4:54 am

Either or both the LCD and the system board could need replacement. The high cost should be compared to a new unit, selling the old as for parts only. The risk of investing in an old unit is the wear on other parts yet to fail.
The lidar is also expensive separately. Remember the dock for the older units cannot be used with the newer ones, they must be obtained together. You would need the correct system board for the older dock.
glnc222
Robot Master
 
Posts: 4074
Joined: January 23rd, 2012, 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina, U.S.

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby grapedrink » February 11th, 2016, 8:32 am

psu1 wrote:Hi all,

I am new to this forum as this is my 1st post. Obviously, our Neato has died. It is about 2 years old and a refurbished model from eBay. It was advertised as an XV-21 but now that I had problems I see the bottom of the unit identified as XV-11. A review of the initial posting however identified that the units could be a mixture of parts but was an XV-21.

The unit has had minimal use. The batteries test fine at 8.3v. Even tried new batteries from a new XV-12 we just purchased. The 1st problem started about 2 months ago where the LCD stopped displaying text. It remained lit though. Then last week the unit stopped performing completely. The green and amber lights work but all the unit does is beep.

Tried the USB connection but no changes. Did internet researches and found the description of the C-10 issues. Watched several dis-assembly/repair videos on youtube and figured that I should be able to do that. To my surprise I found that I have the Cruz Main Board Rev 7, Part# 915-0022 Rev 1 and so no C-10 piece.

It is the same as the board pictured above. The only difference is that the 2 pin connector in the upper left is open.

Now for my questions. Is this board known for specific problems? If so, what would be the repairs? Is the motherboard the likely culprit given the described issues? Would a motherboard replacement likely fix the issue if component repairs can't be made? I'd hate to trash the unit and would probably wait until I find a reasonably priced motherboard online. Thanks in advance!

psu1


Mate, take some advice from someone who has stuffed around with Neato garbage for the last 2 years. Put the entire thing in the bin and move on with life. It should have never been released to the public and is a design and engineering disaster. My advice, stay away from any American branded electronics. Get an LG Roboking with an extended warranty and you'll be much happier and much more stress free.
grapedrink
Robot Groupie
 
Posts: 84
Joined: March 5th, 2012, 7:11 am

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby psu1 » February 12th, 2016, 12:32 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I hate to give up before I try something more than the USB connection.

This unit really has minimal use. All is clean as new. (yes, appearance means little :cry: )

Again, has anyone found specific issues with the Cruz board which are repairable?

If the LCD remained lit, is it possible that it is not the problem?

What actually determines the text on the LCD? Is it the LCD or the motherboard?

I understand the concerns about the $$$ of the items, but I would obviously look for something used reasonable on-line.

Again, not an electronics "expert" but willing to listen.
psu1
 
Posts: 2
Joined: February 10th, 2016, 9:11 pm

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby grapedrink » February 12th, 2016, 1:19 am

psu1 wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys.

I hate to give up before I try something more than the USB connection.

This unit really has minimal use. All is clean as new. (yes, appearance means little :cry: )

Again, has anyone found specific issues with the Cruz board which are repairable?

If the LCD remained lit, is it possible that it is not the problem?

What actually determines the text on the LCD? Is it the LCD or the motherboard?

I understand the concerns about the $$$ of the items, but I would obviously look for something used reasonable on-line.

Again, not an electronics "expert" but willing to listen.


You've been warned. You will regret going down this path mate. All I'm trying to do is save you time, stress and money.

Good luck
grapedrink
Robot Groupie
 
Posts: 84
Joined: March 5th, 2012, 7:11 am

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby glnc222 » February 12th, 2016, 2:32 am

Again, has anyone found specific issues with the Cruz board which are repairable?

Not for your problem. Also the normal method of repair is replacing the entire component, which is normally constructed only by machines and intended to be serviced by replacement. This is the nature of advanced microelectronic technology, chips etc. These are computer systems like a PC or smartphone, with a cleaning peripheral.

If the LCD remained lit, is it possible that it is not the problem?

No. A number of LCD modules have had to be replaced.

What actually determines the text on the LCD? Is it the LCD or the motherboard?

Both. This is a complex digital electronics function. The particular design is proprietary and not disclosed.
Usually blank LCD's are defects in the LCD but there is no way to tell without first replacing it, then see if the system board needs replacement. And this applies only to the one problem of defective display.

I understand the concerns about the $$$ of the items, but I would obviously look for something used reasonable on-line.

There are a couple of used Samsung Powerbots online in the U.S. if you are there, and they haven't sold already. The product is only a year old and is normally more expensive than Neato. These units employ a more advanced guidance system with solid state cameras instead of lidar with moving parts which wear out. Ten years of progress in electronics since Neato started makes a difference. The latest most expensive Roomba uses this tech as well. Nothing is perfect in this category though, and every brand has its fans. Check how long and hard the powerbots were used as the battery is large and more expensive than others -- but may last longer. The special advantage of this robot is covering large spaces.

It's all a matter of what deal you find and your personal tastes and application. There are many reviews of all these products.

[edit]This topic should be pursued in a separate thread, not being the specific component problem identified in this thread.
glnc222
Robot Master
 
Posts: 4074
Joined: January 23rd, 2012, 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina, U.S.

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby Whoppy_24 » February 13th, 2016, 6:44 pm

Where's the USB port? I took off the rubber seal in the front but it's just an AC/DC plug style?
Whoppy_24
 
Posts: 1
Joined: February 13th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby glnc222 » February 13th, 2016, 7:23 pm

Right next to the power plug, square cover with a pry slit for screw driver. Don't loose it. Mini plug, like for Playstation, some Garmin's etc. Superseded in recent years by micro on cell phones, so on Botvac (under the dust bin).
glnc222
Robot Master
 
Posts: 4074
Joined: January 23rd, 2012, 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina, U.S.

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby Iagt » February 22nd, 2016, 9:14 pm

I replaced the capacitor according to this thread and my Xv-21 worked flawlessly for a few weeks. Now it is repeatedly have (i) battery issues requiring reset per led message and (ii) constantly thinking the on/off switch is in the off position when it is not. I am using aftermarket batteries...thoughts?

TIA
Iagt
 
Posts: 1
Joined: February 22nd, 2016, 9:09 pm

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby vic7767 » February 22nd, 2016, 10:07 pm

Check your solder connections, consider replacing that cap with another, get new batteries.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
User avatar
vic7767
Robot Master
 
Posts: 14142
Joined: January 14th, 2006, 8:31 pm
Location: Haughton Louisiana - USA

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 252 guests