Wake Neato up from dead mode

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Wake Neato up from dead mode

Postby mmm2000 » March 28th, 2015, 9:07 pm

UPDATE:

After the C10 replacement my neato still works great. No more dim green issue.
The method works !
mmm2000

Postby kafer1964 » March 29th, 2015, 12:26 am

I just got a XV-11 today that is dead as a door nail. No green light, no glow anything. Apparently somewhat new batteries too. SO if I remove the batteries and connect it to the docking station, it should get power. If not, I will be ordering a C10 from Vic and trying to replace it this week. Which is great, I have a Roomba I have a replacement for also. My soldering stinks BTW.
Present - XV-11(Robot B-9), XV-12(UniBlab), XV-14 (BeatNik), Scooba 380(Scrappy), Roomba 595(Robby), Mint 4200, Mint 5200
Past - Roomba 530(Alpha), Scooba 5800 (Scooby), 5900
kafer1964
Robot Addict

Postby kafer1964 » March 31st, 2015, 3:48 pm

kafer1964 wrote:I just got a XV-11 today that is dead as a door nail. No green light, no glow anything. Apparently somewhat new batteries too. SO if I remove the batteries and connect it to the docking station, it should get power. If not, I will be ordering a C10 from Vic and trying to replace it this week. Which is great, I have a Roomba I have a replacement for also. My soldering stinks BTW.

C10 ordered from Vic. Soon to be opened up and replaced. Hope my soldering is good enough.
Present - XV-11(Robot B-9), XV-12(UniBlab), XV-14 (BeatNik), Scooba 380(Scrappy), Roomba 595(Robby), Mint 4200, Mint 5200
Past - Roomba 530(Alpha), Scooba 5800 (Scooby), 5900
kafer1964
Robot Addict

Postby Tertium » April 6th, 2015, 10:57 am

Hi everybody!
I have a long suffering history with my neato XV-21. 4 battery packs have passed, now I have 5th (never used). Batteries become bad too fast. I even repaired them with imax b6 charger, most of them was ok, but neato refused to use them after several, or even one cycle. Works 5 minutes and go to charging, shows 0002 error, don't turn on and so on.
Have to say Neato sometimes went crazy, it could try to go through to the walls and furniture for a long time and then said "I'm stuck".
After I replced bumber triggers it returned to sanity and I was happy. So I've came to conclusion that maybe it damaged batteries with engine high load (when trying to "go throw" obstacles).
So I've purchased 5the almost non-extended 3500mAh pack to try again. (Now I think there is something wrong in charging system of neato)

Recently I've received bateries but... here comes "pale green coma"!
Ok, I've found info about cap C10 and have replaced it with 220 microF 35V. Also I've found that C127 was not properly soldered so I've fixed it as well.
In the first time I've reversed polarity of C10 and C127 died (become swollen), so I've replaced them again (C127 - 100microF 25V, C10 - 220microF 35V).

Yes, green coma disappeared. When I start neato, and then say to him that it's a new battery it says thanks and starting to charge. It looks like. Dimming with red lights.
But after that lights turn off and he don't response to main red button!
Ok, I turn it off and on (switch under the bin) and neato starts at once! However the same behaviour - red button does not wake up neato.
I've pluged it to PC and checked sensors and buttons with NeatoControl (https://bitbucket.org/heXor/neatocontro ... ontrol.zip).
Main button don't work. Arrrrggg! Well, I'll replace it, but later. Now here is problem #2:
being turned on Neato constantly complains that its battery is low!

I've told it several times "New battery" and it shows dimming light, but still (couple of days) it has not charged the battery.
Using NeatoControl I can set battery level to 89% (instead of 19% that it shows) and make it to make a spot clean, but it doesn't help. "My battery is low"

Batteries level 7,8V each (as they are not charged), base gives 23,5V (not sure, I have cheap chinese multimeter).

So I have several questions.
1. Is there chances to damage mainboard while soldering caps so that it boots but can't charge batteries?
2. Maybe I should replace all the rest capacitors and maybe anything else? (Yes, I know that I have broken main red button - which worked ok about 3 weeks earlier - but I suppose it can't affect battery charging process. I just too lazy to disassembly little broken animal only to replace the button while it isn't working at all.
3. can broken capacitors damage batteries while charging or make neato think they are broken?

So many moves, I should buy a new neato a year a go, I know :) But when your dog gets sick you don't shoot it and buy a new one, right?

Thanks!
Tertium

Postby deandob » April 7th, 2015, 4:34 pm

I have very similar symptoms, Neato not charging (although the batteries get hot like they are being charged) even after swapping batteries (although possibly all my batteries are bad). Instead of spending time to try to fix or buy new batteries I'm going to put the $$ into the new botvac.
deandob

Postby Medtech » April 10th, 2015, 2:58 pm

Tertium
While pressing the red button the robot will not work.
1. Repair the red button.
2. You could spoil during soldering fee, it happens.
3. Buy a new card.
Thank you GOOGLE translator for the freedom of communication.
Medtech
Robot Addict

Postby yonkoc » April 19th, 2015, 5:31 pm

Hello all,

I am also suffering from the Dim Green LED mode of death. I'd like to replace the C10 capacitor with the best possible, read that polymer ones might be best so which one should I go with. Mouser.com or a local radioshack is where I'll be buying. So can someone please recommend either a confirmed working model of a C10 or the best option of the polymer type.

Thank you!
yonkoc

Postby glnc222 » April 19th, 2015, 6:52 pm

I think polymer vs aluminum is just the casing. Digi-Key does not list many polymer.
Vic7767 has the needed capacitors at Vic7767.com, Robot-Doc.com.

At this Digi-Key catalog page
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv13=79&FV=fff40002%2Cfff80009%2Cfc0173%2C1140050&k=electrolytic+capacitor&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25
you see variation in the lifetime listed, with large variation. Going to 220uf there is one even 8000hrs.
Users report just obtaining these on ebay, whatever. Digi-Key offers single parts, minimal 1st class mail shipping for personal orders (but everything in a box, about $3.50).
Radio Shack is closing stores, and might not have this size anyway. Not likely to carry the highest quality more expensive.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » April 19th, 2015, 7:41 pm

Replacement capacitors also available from Vic7767.com, Robot-Doc.com. Forgot to include above. Vic will know what kind is a good choice.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Tertium » April 27th, 2015, 7:34 am

I was almost ready to give up but when have found that if red button is broken and you have to turn off-on neato to wake it up it ALWAYS thinks that battery is not charged - just in case I suppose.
As an experient I set clock to 12:00 and added schedule task at 12:30. After 30 minutes on base it realized that battery is full and worked more than an hour in usual way. Voila!

So I've purchased small triggers in local store and replaced red button trigger. Unfortunately PCB tracks on button board are very fragile and while I replaced the trigger I broke one track. So I had to replace it with a wire - luckily I've found that trigger is directly connected with pin 1 of main connector.

Also I've found that because of plastic bumber when neato contact the wall frontally bumper triggers are not pressed. Manipulations with springs did not help, so I've glued wood batten to bumper as stiffening plate. It looks a little bit ugly yet works much better. Neato feels wals now.

Currently neato works as new. Replaced: bumper trigers, red button trigger, 2 capacitors (132 and 10). It is 3 years old, mechanical part (excluding brush) looks almost new. So it seemed to me very wrong to buy a new one although several months I was experiencing very strange neato navigation (because of broken bumper triggers), battery issues (because of c132) and finally coma (because of c10). So it looks I have happy end for now. Time will tell, but it works perfectly more than a week.

When I was struggling with neato I needed photos (as I'm not an engeneer), so I have made several, maybe it will help somebody.
Attachments
20150427_141947.jpg
bumper
20150417_144506.jpg
wire to red button
20150417_145200.jpg
c10 replaced
20150417_145219.jpg
c132 replaced
20150417_144524.jpg
red button pins
20150417_144428.jpg
button board fix
20150405_115434.jpg
before
Tertium

Postby ag43 » May 2nd, 2015, 2:36 pm

ag43 wrote:UPDATE: 12 days since i've replaced the c10 capacitor with 35V 220uf and the dim green issue is solved completely. i've reinstalled firmware, unplugged the base charger from ac and did more scenerios that used to make the robot "go dim" before and now it's working fine.

BUT:
the run time between charges is now only 20-25 minutes when before it was around 45.
not sure if this is because the different capacitor spec, the other changes i've did (below) or if i've damaged some other part of the board while soldering (i don't think so).
the other changes i've did:
1. reinstalled firmware.
2. used the "new battery" option.
3. switched from silicon brush to pet and allergy brush.

i'll keep trying to find what's causing this problem and update here.

finally replaced the batteries with lithium batteries (from lithiumpowerinc.com). it did the entire house (around 70 minutes), return to starting point and then alerted "low battery".
ag43

Postby bj0rn » May 4th, 2015, 3:26 am

My XV-15 was suffering from the dim green death. Having previously bought replacement batteries (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4T5H6I?psc=1) to no avail, I replaced C10 capacitor with a new one at 35V 220uF. Expectations where high as i turned on the robot. As the robot boots up I get the error "Barrery issue 00009", "press ok to reboot". The robot reboots showing the same error message :help: . I have chacked the molex connector cables and they seem fine.

Any hints to what may be wrong?

Do i need to replace C132 too?
bj0rn

Postby bj0rn » May 11th, 2015, 12:06 pm

bj0rn wrote:My XV-15 was suffering from the dim green death. Having previously bought replacement batteries (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4T5H6I?psc=1) to no avail, I replaced C10 capacitor with a new one at 35V 220uF. Expectations where high as i turned on the robot. As the robot boots up I get the error "Barrery issue 00009", "press ok to reboot". The robot reboots showing the same error message :help: . I have chacked the molex connector cables and they seem fine.

Any hints to what may be wrong?

Do i need to replace C132 too?

Nevermind. I tore it down one more time and realised I had a loose connector in there! doh!

I wish putting stuff back together was as much fun as pulling stuff apart. :whistle:

Let's see how it runs after a little charging!
bj0rn

Postby glnc222 » May 11th, 2015, 1:09 pm

Maybe not Bjorn's loose connection, but nice photo of battery connector problem at french kelrobot.fr,http://www.kelrobot.fr/forum/probleme-sav-avec-neato-signature-xvpro-botvac-t3123.html#p15596
The middle pins are for the thermistor, so might show as wrong temperature readings over USB.
Press on the pins to insure they hold when the plug is inserted.
The Botvac has switched to a better connector Amp Micro Mate'N'Lok with spring action.
Disconnected thermistors produce an error message.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » May 16th, 2015, 12:40 am

Replacing Surface Mount Electrolytic Capacitor Cans
C10 might be through-hole but just in case:
A common problem so how-to guide for using caps with leads to replace surface mount
-- preserve the base of the existing capacitor
http://console5.com/wiki/Converting_from_Surface_to_Leaded_Capacitors
(discovered by member Brett, for dock circuit repair)
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby bobbylaw » June 15th, 2015, 9:42 pm

Thanks to whoever discovered the c10 capacitor fix, worked a treat.

I bought a bag of 5x 25v 220uf capacitors for $1 so it was a 20cent part in the end and it seems to have done the trick.

I will say that the screws used in the neato are pretty soft so careful not to round the tops or snap them off.
bobbylaw

Postby Donkey » June 21st, 2015, 1:54 am

FYI, I had the same issue. I replaced my standard 25v 100uF capacitor with a 25v 320uF capacitor for no other reason than it was the only one I had in the garage.

Seems to have fixed the problem...Neato is back to life.

I found this video very helpful. https://youtu.be/WR7yx-E1Y14. He used a 1000uF capacitor
Donkey

Postby kyllman » June 21st, 2015, 6:03 pm

Hello everyone,
I send you a thank you live in the south of France because thanks to you I was able to wake my neato for good.

Thank you also GLNC222 I meet regularly on french forums and showed me the way to follow.

Good luck to all
kyllman

Postby howe216u » July 30th, 2015, 11:19 pm

Just tried the USB trick - plugged it into my Laptop with the USB cable, and waited a couple of seconds and it came back to life. Its now charging. We will see how long this lasts. I have new batteries, 1st set did not have this condition.
howe216u

Postby rommit2001 » July 31st, 2015, 7:36 am

Hi there, we've only had our Neato for a couple of months and it has worked flawlessly until recently when it will
run then not dock itself to recharge. It has stopped a couple of feet short. I can move it back to the charging station and press the big red button and it does charge. It did say it had a battery issue on the LCD at one time, do I need to look into getting a new set of batteries already? Thanks for any insight!
rommit2001

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics