Neato Programming Guide

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato Programming Guide

Postby mfortuna » June 25th, 2014, 9:00 am

Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Re: Neato Programming Guide

Postby black6spdZ » May 19th, 2015, 4:37 pm

any information on the undocumented serial commands such as SetConfig? I ask because my XV-15 doesn't seem to run the vacuum motor as fast as my XV-21 did and as far as I know they have the same motors. System boards are both 64s with firmware 3.4. Wondering if the model setting changes the characteristics "brush speed, vacuum pwm, etc"
black6spdZ

Postby glnc222 » May 19th, 2015, 10:29 pm

Limited SetConfig info for batteries reported in "Lithium Ion Battery Revisited" http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=130347#p130347
A firmware installation log file is mentioned which might show more parameter settings. Hacker stuff.
Not for the ordinary user; mishandling could damage the vacuum.

Troubleshooting the fan should be posted in a new thread, not being USB language as such.

Sensor Readings and Test Mode
Lewiy http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18596#p131179
Without TestMode 'GetAnalogSensors ' gets static sensors values, the dimension of which is unknown... In TestMode the same command gets the sensors values in the proper dimension (e.g. for WallSensor -- mm) and with proper reaction to obstacle. Finally, 'GetAnalogSensors raw' in TestMode gets the sensors values in mV.
Last edited by glnc222 on June 5th, 2015, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby black6spdZ » May 20th, 2015, 9:55 am

That's where I saw it posted, eventually I will upgrade to some Li-ion packs with that bit of info. I don't have the XV-21 anymore and I wish I would have wrote down some of the power stats with the vacuum motor running in NeatoControl to compare. The consensus says that ALL XV models are the same besides different colored housings but if that was true why the option to change it in flash? Just for ID purposes or are there slight programming differences? Maybe the XV-21 being marketed as the pet model spins the vacuum motor higher. Anyone want to post vacuum motor mA draw from different models both unrestricted and restricted? I may also do back to back testing after changing model on mine with SetConfig.
black6spdZ

Postby glnc222 » May 20th, 2015, 12:47 pm

There could be some difference between XV model software involving older Rev113 and newer Rev64 system boards with incompatibilities, different cpu and other IC's. Older boards cannot run firmware higher than V3.1. The charging system was changed eliminating the side plug for the charger on the vacuum and the power brick in the dock and the dock circuit board.

Some fan measurements are in "electronic filter monitoring" http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15981&p=127482&hilit=electronic+filter#p127482
Over USB the fan defaults to "speed 90 per cent" which might be the duty cycle in the rpm control pulse code modulation signal, unknown. The fan is "smart" with feedback control on a board inside the fan maintaining selected rpm in response to different mechanical loads. Higher speeds substantially increase current load which would reduce vacuum run time noticeably.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby black6spdZ » May 20th, 2015, 5:27 pm

thanks for the read, interesting info! Not sure how 90% pwm equals ~16 watts from a motor that's good for ~46 watts full tilt though. and do all those measurements apply to all model settings? I may try to do a little testing tonight
black6spdZ

Postby black6spdZ » May 21st, 2015, 2:03 pm

so I set the ModelId to both 21 and 25, didn't seem to make any difference an maximum current used by the vacuum motor in TestMode.. I can't speak for the actual cleaning routine though. I did modify the BrushSpeed value.. works from 100-2000 rpm, below 500 RPM setpoint it fluctuates speed presumably because its difficult to maintain the low current level. I have some quick and dirty brush motor mA values / watts vs different speed settings unloaded, on hard floor and medium carpet that I'll post up if anyone's really interested. Question is how does different brush speeds help/hurt cleaning and/or motor wear at higher RPMs?
black6spdZ

Postby Apollon » November 22nd, 2015, 5:40 pm

any updated programming guide for the botvac connected?
Apollon

Postby glnc222 » November 22nd, 2015, 5:51 pm

I do not think settings for motor speeds over USB affects cleaning, only Test Mode. Test Mode must be terminated manually in order to clean, not automatic on disconnects of USB.
It was reported Vorwerk used 1600rpm brush vs 1200rpm Neato.
There is no newer guide for Botvac and lucky the guide was published long ago before Neato expanded out of the hobbyist support style (and now firmware updates discontinued except at Vorwerk).
Some commands like GetLifeStatLog are not in the Botvac. Maybe due to new QNX operating system.
Russians have reported unpublished commands "setconfig" used to distinguish Vorwerk from Neato, allowing lithium batteries etc., battery thread. Maybe one of these can set the cleaning brush speed, unknown.

All XV models are pretty much the same mechanically so I doubt setting model numbers has any affect. Feature may be there just in case they did make a change. Those model numbers just refer to different bundles of accessories.
Botvac is the different system.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Lewiy » November 22nd, 2015, 11:44 pm

glnc222 wrote: Maybe one of these can set the cleaning brush speed, unknown.

Yes, this command `setconfig BrushSpeed 1450` sets the brush speed to 1450 rpm as it is in VR100. Actual for combo brush.
In addition, nothing prevents rename the device as Kobold - `SetConfig ModelID VR100`.
The configuration changes made by the setconfig command then are displayed by getversion command.
Lewiy
Robot Master

Postby Apollon » November 23rd, 2015, 3:07 am

would that maybe make the vr200 work with the neato app? I mean by changing the modelid

I own a VR200 which has wifi which is not used by the firmware but can be activated through console commands. That is why I am looking for the commands of the neato connected, so i can try to control the vr200 via wifi.
Apollon

Postby glnc222 » November 23rd, 2015, 3:12 am

Botvac runs the brush 1200rpm same as XV, measuring with an optical sensor rig and frequency meter.
The wider brush takes more power than the shorter XV. No VR200's in the U.S. Try roboter-forum Germany.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics