Firmware 3.4

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Firmware 3.4

Postby Lewiy » November 24th, 2014, 7:40 am

glnc222 wrote:...it did not initiate a charging cycle...

When shutdown, the unit stores the battery level in the memory. If you do a restart after a few days, it will show the previous level of charge. Thus the charging will not start if the level was high before shutdown.
Lewiy
Robot Master

Postby Marsh » March 12th, 2015, 10:45 pm

Ok, I have been silly as it seems... Excited by the prospect of upgrading to firmware 3.4 and improving cornering performance of my XV-11, I started looking to upgrade. On the neato website this wasn't allowed (could only upgrade to 3.1). Then I found the post with the offline links to the files and downloaded them. I upgraded my xv-11 to fw 3.4 using the offline updater tool and the firmware file provided. During the update process the led light of my neato turned red and no matter what I do it stays red. Looks like I fried it. The only explanation I could find for the red light is that the batteries have run down critically low and that the unit itself would not charge them anymore for that reason. So, I took them out and charged them from 7.35V as they were to 7.5V and put them back in without any change, still a red light. I think my unit probably was a rev113 rather than the 64. Any idea's to get the robot back to life again? .... A disillusioned, defeated and frustrated otherwise very happy user of the neato line.
Last edited by Marsh on March 12th, 2015, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marsh

Postby vic7767 » March 12th, 2015, 11:15 pm

In that same link for offline upgrading a rev 64 Neato there was either a link or procedure to recover the Neato back to a previous release. The procedure will only work if the Neato User Interface can receive the button presses and restart on the earlier firmware version. Pumping rev 64 code into a rev 113 MCU may have caused permanent damage. This may require installing a new main board in your Neato.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Marsh » March 12th, 2015, 11:37 pm

I was indeed afraid of that. My neato doesn't react to any button presses. The lcd doesn't Fire on. The red light stays on no matter what until I take the batteries out.
Marsh

Postby Lewiy » March 15th, 2015, 3:46 am

Marsh wrote:I was indeed afraid of that. My neato doesn't react to any button presses. The lcd doesn't Fire on. The red light stays on no matter what until I take the batteries out.

If your unit is rev113 you would try to revive it by long pressing BACK and START buttons contemporaneously (for 10-15 seconds) till the unit will reboot. This trick will restart the robot by loading the reserved firmware (there is still hope that it is not corrupted). If success then check the firmware version. Later it will be needed for online upgrade.
Keep in mind that in rev64 you should press the left bumper corner to the center direction (both micro switches -- front and side -- should be pressed) instead of BACK button. It might take 30 seconds for reboot.
Lewiy
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » March 16th, 2015, 10:43 pm

There was a report the Back button procedure did not work in v3.4 software. Is this is the same issue as board rev differences?

[edit] This is getting nuts. Next thing we'll have to do the sword dance over the Neato with the lidar turning.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby aliby » May 27th, 2015, 10:03 pm

I just had the same problem happen... 3.4 upgrade failed and now the dreaded red ring around the start button... I tried all different combinations of the reset procedures listed (start+back, Start+left bumpers, etc.) and could not get it to reboot.

Guess now it's REALLY hosed. :-(
aliby

Postby aliby » May 31st, 2015, 8:53 am

Just noticed something strange. If I plug my batteries in and hit the START button, I get nothing but a red LED ring around the start button.

If I plug my batteries in and hold START + BACK, I get a flash of a green LED ring around the START button for about a second, then it goes red.

Any idea why this might be? Holding the START + BACK doesn't actually reboot the XV21 and revert to previous firmware, nor does START + Left Bumper. I just figured the green LED might be a clue/step in the right direction.

Also, even with the red LED ring active around the start button, the Neato COM devices shows up on my Windows Machine, and /dev/cu.usbmodem### shows up on my Mac. However, on both systems it does not appear to take any commands/do anything when I type in TeraTerm/HyperTerminal (Windows) nor Terminal (Mac).

Thoughts?

Edit: Knowing my board is probably toast, I went ahead and searched eBay for a replacement. When I searched for Neato Board, the cheapest Cruz rev board I could find was $75+.

However, this seller does not have "board" in their auction title/description, so they didn't come up in my search. Wanted to pass it along in case anyone, like Marsh, needs a new one to fix their bad flash like I do.

The following auction has Cruz boards for $32.50 + $4 shipping = $36.50 here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEATO-VACUUM-XV ... 3f4c803adc.
aliby

Postby glnc222 » May 31st, 2015, 5:14 pm

Flash of Green (not the John D. McDonald novel) -- previously observed here. This could be when the cpu starts up first showing green, and after contemplating the situation decides to show a red light instead. That light is a power system indicator, that the battery is in a "critical" condition -- like disconnected; low battery is orange. The cpu can still run off the dock. Sometimes there is a "critical battery" msg on LCD or USB. But a messed up cpu could get into any sort of code for unrelated reasons. There could be components to repair on the system board but that sort of thing is a hobby in itself, expensive if not equipped already. Board prices have fallen over the years with new models.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby gundam212 » June 1st, 2015, 1:58 pm

I have a newly purchased XV Essential (Rev 64) but when I go to the update website it says 3.1 is the highest update I can go. Oddly the bot itself out of the box had 3.2 installed so I'm a little baffled. After reading this thread it seems I should be eligible for the 3.4 update but I have no idea to get it if the website doesn't give me the option.

Any suggestions?
gundam212

Postby vic7767 » June 1st, 2015, 3:12 pm

What revision does the LCD display ?
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby gundam212 » June 1st, 2015, 3:49 pm

Shows as Board Rev 64 via LCD.
gundam212

Postby glnc222 » June 2nd, 2015, 5:06 pm

One possibility is the unit was originally produced with the older system board and is recorded that way in the website database. The board might have been replaced at some point with a newer board, but that information is not in their database. It might be possible to access the download page directly from its URL but regret I do not have that off hand. There is not that much additional in 3.4 anyway. There are files posted here to update the unit offline, but this is risky and can damage the system if everything is not in perfect order. Best left to experts.
Customer service does not recommend software updates unless there is some severe malfunction.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Umpa » July 1st, 2015, 2:32 pm

Thats the part I don't understand. Firmware upgrades have never been about fixing a severe malfunction, and always about bug fixes and new features.

For me the very last thing I would do is attempt to fix a faulty system with a firmware upgrade. Its more likely to be a hardware issue, and thats not a good standing for a successful upgrade.

Sounds to me like they have had more than their fair share of bad flashes and don't want anymore.
Umpa

Postby grover0 » December 14th, 2015, 1:21 am

Hey all, does anyone have a copy of the 'updatetooffline30.zip' that was previously posted? The link is now dead, and I was hoping to do an offline firmware update of my old XV-11 as I can no longer do it from the Neato website.

Cheers!
grover0

Postby glnc222 » December 14th, 2015, 2:53 am

No mention of that link in forum. Are you referring to these files above http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=127302#p127302?
Are you referring to the Neato USB drivers used for updating?
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby grover0 » December 15th, 2015, 7:54 am

Thanks for the reply qlnc222! I was referring to the hexor's offline updater: https://bitbucket.org/heXor/share/downl ... neTo30.zip

I bought an secondhand XV-11 (rev 64) that has firmware 3.0. I was hoping to be able to update to 3.4 but the Neato Robotics website doesn't seem to offer updates anymore (plus its serial may be already registered to the original owner). I have been able to get the USB drivers to work in windows and was playing around with "neatoupgrader.exe", but no success. I thought perhaps the hexor's offline updater could help me.
grover0

Postby grover0 » December 15th, 2015, 8:41 am

Oops I see your point - you were right, it was in viewtopic.php?p=127302#p127302. The firmware links still work, but the offline updater link is now dead.
grover0

Postby glnc222 » December 15th, 2015, 1:22 pm

You are correct the last link supplied by Lewiy for v3.0 you already have is incorrect or discontinued. v3.1 introduced the "corner cleaver" improved behavior for corners. Not much of importance subsequently. So you would not be able to re-install v3.0.
[edit] oops, there are two v3.0 files listed, with the missing one in a separate reference at the bottom of Lewiy's post.

Beware of risks involved in flashing firmware where this machine appears to lack robust hardware in the case of errors. Everything must be perfect or the unit can be irreparably damaged. It is not clear the cpu is set up with a separate OS in ROM or untouched flash memory to recover from errors. If the USB interface code is flashed, for example, an error could prevent any further flashing.

It helps to know details of the microcontroller with which I am not familiar. Flashing is done by a command in the USB programming manual (main forum page) which was likely used by the online procedure as well. The files from Russia were likely obtained with network management tools to capture internet traffic.

There is supposed to be two complete copies in the Neato with odd button press procedures to temporarily revert to a backup copy when errors are encountered. A message is issued "firmware updates available" when the system detects itself something wrong and reverts automatically. There was one report of a machine getting "bricked" (irreparable) however. Full details of Neato's software are not disclosed.
I do not read the Russian forums which might have more information.

[edit] In my experience the Neato website was not thorough in recording serial numbers and ownership, mixing up the warranty info with updating. I am not sure it rejects duplicate registrations. Customer service cannot cancel a registration except by closing the entire account with multiple units registered. The warranties are all confirmed separately when claims are made. For all we know, the update site was discontinued just because the programmer quit and they have the new Connected model requiring maintenance revisions.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby boril » December 15th, 2015, 9:17 pm

Hello,

I just got a old XV-21 with rev.64 board running firmware 3.0 so I was wondering if I can upgrade it up to 3.4, but I couldn't find this offline update tool.
Thanks.
Pets: Profimaster md 13202
Roomba 555
boril

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics