Neato PC USB Driver Unavailable

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato PC USB Driver Unavailable

Postby glnc222 » November 16th, 2014, 6:06 pm

The PC driver software used for both updating and servicing Neato's is unavailable on the company website when registering a new Botvac in Nov. 2014, when there are no firmware updates available. It is posted there for updating, but used to be available for servicing as well, with a posted USB programming manual (now posted on this website as well).

The web page for downloading the "updater tool", including the USB driver for telnet communication with the Neato, cannot be reached without first entering a firmware version older than available updates; there are no older ones for Botvac. i was able to get the driver by registering an XV and entering an old version number. You have to have an XV serial number to do that.

[edit] Neato's driver is listed at those all-drivers sites like Driver Scape http://www.driverscape.com/download/nea ... s-usb-port

Is it now the policy of Neato corporation that customers should not diagnose problems with their system using the USB communication? There are a lot of very qualified engineers and tech folk who buy these things. If they are going to sell a sort of experimental product which seems to require a lot of care and treat it like a care-not Dyson, I'll just buy the Dyson and forget about it.

[edit] In the meantime, anyone having problems obtaining this driver might try the URL used, labeled for 64 bit windows (I may get the 32 bit later if separate, or this contains both and is just labeled to indicate coverage of 64 bit) http://www.neatoroboticsupdates.com/NeatoInstaller/NeatoUpdaterToolInstaller_x64.exe

Now, I believe there are other drivers which can communicate with the Neato using the same virtual com port feature in Windows. Some of the hacking sites for accessing the lidar used their own drivers instead of Neato company software, as the virtual com port is a standard feature of Windows system programming. It will confuse the updating system, however, if any of these are installed. Strictly a last resort. Unless you are one of those systems experts knowing all the tricks of the Windows trade.
Last edited by glnc222 on November 16th, 2014, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Re: Neato PC USB Driver Unavailable

Postby mfortuna » November 16th, 2014, 8:24 pm

It is pretty easy to edit the .inf file of an existing driver that uses the same chip as the Neato. Of course you would have to find the driver. All USB devices have a Vendor ID and Product ID. You can find these for the Neato by using device manager. By entering the Neato's IDs in the .inf file you get get the driver to load.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Re: Neato PC USB Driver Unavailable

Postby glnc222 » November 16th, 2014, 10:46 pm

Windows includes a sort of generic driver which is highly configurable by a scripting language, instead of compiling entire programs, duplicative. Many so-called driver files are scripts to configure this built-in feature instead of compiled programs (for which I suppose there are also Microsoft libraries to use). The scripts are a complex system with books on it. This is how the hackers made drivers for the Neato. (The randomworkshop blog has been removed, however.)
I may have a copy somewhere.

Neato's driver is listed at those all-drivers sites like Driver Scape http://www.driverscape.com/download/neato-robotics-usb-port
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics