NeatoControl - program for diagnostic neato robots

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: NeatoControl - program for diagnostic neato robots

Postby glnc222 » June 25th, 2017, 4:46 pm

All the data shown on the LCD is delivered over USB to Neato Control.
Neato's do not work with the LCD disconnected, so how much the LCD can be defective and the system still work is not clear. Some units have been run with the LCD blank. Other threads detail LCD replacement.
The small buttons on the LCD panel are coupled together with resistors to combine signals on one wire with different voltages for each button, so disconnecting will probably deliver an out of range voltage rejected by the software.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby filipemonte » July 8th, 2017, 7:56 pm

It worked for more than 6 months with the blanck LCD.
How can i see what it should say in my pc?
filipemonte

Postby glnc222 » July 8th, 2017, 10:37 pm

See the Neato Programming manual link top of main forum page, and in Mods & Repairs list. Neato supports a text command language over USB usable with a terminal emulator such as Tera term, hyperterminal etc., with a driver from the Neato website. All user set parameters covered. Look through the commands. The Neato Control Program here supplies a graphical interface to the text commands, fancy features, some parameters displayed automatically. Text commands can also be issued within Neato Control.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby robotvv » October 29th, 2017, 12:50 am

New user here and am trying to install this program on my PC but my anti virus scanner warned that this program contains an Adware. I downloaded this from the link in the first post. Did that latest version got contaminated somehow?
robotvv

Postby glnc222 » October 31st, 2017, 1:00 pm

Look for links in this thread to older versions of the program and see if they also get flagged for adware. Also see what specific adware security software identifies. Try the free Spybot program on it. This has never happend to this program before.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby vunt » January 26th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Hi, I tried version 3.3 on Windows 10.
The app crashes as soon as I connect to the robot (Vorwerk VR100).
I tried to set the Compatibility mode to Windows 7, but it still crashes.

Any suggestion? I'd like to use the app to turn on and off the side brush, after I replaced its belt.
Thanks.
vunt

Postby vic7767 » January 26th, 2018, 3:51 pm

You can download a zip file of an earlier version of NeatoControl by scrolling down to the bottom of this page.

https://www.vic7767.com/neato-all-models/
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » January 26th, 2018, 7:11 pm

The Neato USB driver for Windows can be tested with a terminal emulator -- hyperterminal, Putty, Tera Term etc. -- to tell if the problem is in the communication or in the application. I recently noticed there is a different driver structure in Windows Vista and Windows 8, while Windows 10 reverted to the structure in Windows 7. Perhaps the driver works in all versions, as the low level parts are actually part of Windows, a generic configurable driver, and the "driver" just configures use of the built in part and identifies the device, with tables. Certain old AMD - Nvidia PC's had a driver fault affecting only Neato's use so never fixed -- years ago now.
The Neato USB command language manual is linked at top of this forum. Neato Control just supplies a graphical interface to usage of the text commands, using those commands in all com with the robot.
Some things done with Neato Control can just as easily be done with the terminal emulator and text. The program supplies an auto repeat of commands with data logging for some more complex use, in its Command option.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby vionemc » February 22nd, 2018, 7:53 pm

Do you plan to add factory reset to the Control Program?
vionemc

Postby glnc222 » February 22nd, 2018, 11:38 pm

The Neato Control program does not operate Neato firmware internals; it just provides a graphical interface to the text command language supplied in Neato software. Since there is no factory reset command in Neato's language, no such feature can be added to the Neato Control program.

Other threads describe the offline firmware updating process. Re-installing firmware might include the original parameter settings.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby gillspie » February 23rd, 2018, 6:13 pm

I have two XV-11's and I am using windows 10 x64

the usb driver seems to work but I get a communication error 22when I connect to NeatoControl. It even looks like it understands several initial commands but then it doesn't recognize a command and the neatocontrol program shuts down and the robot seems to restart.

Has anyone seen this and how can I make this work?
gillspie

Postby vic7767 » February 23rd, 2018, 8:43 pm

What options are you using for the COM port?
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby olev64 » March 6th, 2018, 3:59 am

Hi,

I have the same RDS problem, what I did :
- change the LIDAR motor after first "my vision was blacked error 4000"
- purchase new NEATO batteries and follow the new batteries procedure
- completly empty my battery to 0% and recharge it during one night
- have completly dust off the base and the turret with a can of air dust

the problem is still the same :cry: :cry: the LDS is not working more than 5 sec (please find attached the screenshot of what I can take during that 5 sec - lots of red zone ...).

So today my bot is not working more than 5 sec and I don't what to do more, I would like to know where is the problem and solve it and I don't want to buy a new Bot sure that I'm not so far to solve it :D

It is in version and the neato control version is 3.3 :

GetVersion
Component,Major,Minor,Build
ModelID,-1,XV18,
ConfigID,1,,
Serial Number,KSH23615HH,0322443,P
Software,3,4,24079
BatteryType,1,NIMH_12CELL,
BlowerType,1,BLOWER_ORIG,
BrushSpeed,1200,,
BrushMotorType,1,BRUSH_MOTOR_ORIG,
SideBrushType,1,SIDE_BRUSH_NONE,
WheelPodType,1,WHEEL_POD_ORIG,
DropSensorType,1,DROP_SENSOR_ORIG,
MagSensorType,1,MAG_SENSOR_ORIG,
WallSensorType,1,WALL_SENSOR_ORIG,
Locale,1,LOCALE_USA,
LDS Software,V2.6.15295,0000000000,
LDS Serial,KSH22515AA-0380393,,
LDS CPU,F2802x/c001,,
MainBoard Vendor ID,505,,
MainBoard Serial Number,312655,,
BootLoader Software,18119,P,p
MainBoard Software,23179,1,
MainBoard Boot,16219,
MainBoard Version,4,0,
ChassisRev,2,,
UIPanelRev,1,,

Best regards team :)
Olivier
Attachments
Neato GetLDS 1.txt
GetLDS
(5.12 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Neato GetLDS 1.jpg
LDS Map
olev64

Postby olev64 » March 7th, 2018, 8:06 pm

Hi
So I know more about my problem which is with the laser of the LIDAR, first I ask you how to calibrate the sensor to have the maximum of bllue point on the scan map ?
And other main question why the laser is stoping working after 5 to 10 Sec ? I can see the red light and after this time no more laser and then the scan is out then message on the robot "my vision is blocked error 4000"

anyone could help me please ?

Olivier
olev64

Postby glnc222 » March 8th, 2018, 12:34 am

While I am not an engineer, this sounds to me like defects in the components driving the laser or the laser itself. In the German Roboter-Forum there are discussions of replacing laser led's in other brand robots. Expertise in electronics and equipment for analysis would be needed, something for engineers. These devices are designed to be replaced in their entirety when failing. There are many possible points of failure.
Defects in the robot power supply circuits could shut things off by failing to deliver power, but this would usually affect more than just the laser. There is a voltage regulator to supply the laser, and the power line could be monitored with some instruments.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby olev64 » March 8th, 2018, 8:50 am

Hi glnc22 for your first reply.
Hoxw is it possible throught the neato control program to be sure that the laser is out of order ?
other question could you tell how to calibrate the laser also ? even if it is woirking 5-10sec I can see if there are more blue or red points on the scan map.
regards
olivier
olev64

Postby glnc222 » March 10th, 2018, 1:17 am

There is no calibration adjustment of the lidar -- except focus of the lenses on the barrels, not usually relevant.
There is an optical sensor on the spinning drum to mark beginning of a turn, with direction then determined by timing assuming a precise spin rate. Neato Control presents a graphic display of text data from the scan command in the Neato control language (manual posted top of forum, or in the Mods & Repairs list). The scan returns 360 degree lines with amplitude and distance (measured by parallax with a camera sensor -- not light speed timing like radar). Error messages are also issued. I think Neato Control shows errors in red color. Example of error message is "sun blind", obviously saturating the camera sensor measuring angles, from excess ambient lighting like sunlight through a window. Neato Robotics does not publish details of all its error codes.
The most common repair is replacing the spin motor which wears out and spins too slow or does not start. Other mechanical parts also wear, the belt and the slip ring connector. There are no reports of repairing the driving electronics or laser leds.

This long refurbishing demo by expert engineer may show some fiddling with the lidar lenses, I forget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSLGBzEumAM&list=UUllFkMo5A0V5UKYNltNEt4Q&index=9
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Medtech » March 12th, 2018, 5:40 pm

loss of laser emission, it is worth replacing the laser module - a brass rod with a connector. But after the replacement it will have to be calibrated, and this patience, experience and patience again, if you do not earn a living by repairing lidars, I think that this experience will cost you more than buying a working LDS on eBay.
2017-11-10_21-23-57.jpg

2017-10-11_16-00-34.jpg
Thank you GOOGLE translator for the freedom of communication.
Medtech
Robot Addict

Postby TechGuy » March 12th, 2018, 9:47 pm

Thanks for the info. Now, we need a tutorial on how to adjust the IR laser module.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » March 18th, 2018, 1:24 am

The lidar construction is a separate topic from the Neato Control software subject of this thread, and ought to be pursued in its own thread. The Mods & Repairs list, top of forum, includes links to other threads and a number of technical references on the lidar where experts have repaired the circuit boards etc. Quite a lot of it has been hacked apparently, maybe as many of them were removed from the vacuums for other robotics uses.
glnc222
Robot Master

Previous

Return to Neato Robotics