NeatoControl - program for diagnostic neato robots

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: NeatoControl - program for diagnostic neato robots

Postby vic7767 » April 30th, 2017, 10:56 pm

You may be using a USB cable that does not have the Tx, Rx leads wired. some USB cables are just for charging and don't use the Comm leads.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » April 30th, 2017, 11:11 pm

Firmware flashing was not a function of Neato Control as I recall, but have not used it recently. Both Vorwerk and Neato supply special communications programs, script driven terminal emulators in themselves, like Neato Updater installed along with the USB driver. You would not be in Neato Control when executing those programs I would think. They take scripts performing the update referencing firmware code files to load. There are different files for the different system boards, which changed processors. The older Rev113 Cruz system boards cannot be updated beyond v3.0 I think (loading the wrong firmware can "brick" these systems) -- no more versions created for the older processor. I may have seen a reference to a bit more, you would have look. Files for that board were posted at http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19005

Using the Neato updater for Rev64 Binky system boards is at http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=134696#p134696, where the script and its steps are explained.

Neato employs a text command language over USB which Neato Control uses to render a graphical interface. The command manual is listed main forum page, and in Mods & Repairs list same. The com can be tested with a terminal emulator program such as hyperterminal, teraterm, realterm etc. Neato echos characters, using single character USB packets, and performs line editing backspace etc. A firmware flashing command is included in the Neato language but the updating scripts perform several steps besides.

Also the Neato updating used to require the robot be on battery power not the dock, maybe because the power management software would be updated.
I had noticed that Neato's could time out the USB connection and shut down. Press the start button to revive the processor.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby deepfriarmedia » May 1st, 2017, 10:56 am

Thanks for the reply,
I am certain that the cord I am using has the data transfer lines because when I click connect on neato control I get the specs of the robot back right before it crashes and my robot clicks off. From what I have read I need to use neato control to change the model from a neato to a kobold so I can upgrade using kobold's update program. I have the correct drivers installed. I don't think it is timing out because the moment I try to connect to it using software it just blacks out and resets its clock.
deepfriarmedia

Postby vic7767 » May 1st, 2017, 11:55 am

Try using another terminal emulator program like Putty or Tera Term to see if you can establish a comm link.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » May 1st, 2017, 12:24 pm

If you are using the unpublished "SetConfig" command to change configuration to Kobold, I thought other posts showed this command did not work on old Rev113 system boards, at least for the BatteryType. Used on Rev64.
[edit] I think with batterytype the command goes through but the system ignores that setting.
Beware NeatoControl can put the Neato into Test Mode which might not be good for updating operations. Also it is continually issuing commands to poll sensors which you don't want while doing updates. Use the terminal emulator.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » May 1st, 2017, 1:36 pm

Neato Control issues commands continuously to poll sensors for dynamic observation. I would think that would interfere with any updating operation. So use the terminal emulator.
The comm has to be good if the sensor data and version display appears in Neato Control, from many text commands completed. In the terminal emulator give GetVersion for a simple test command, returning system settings.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby deepfriarmedia » May 1st, 2017, 1:45 pm

So I tried using putty to establish a connection with the neato. This was not successful. As soon as the link establishes the neato shuts off and disconnects. If I can't get the "setconfig" to work I was going to try
https://www.noahjaehnert.com/2016/01/up ... e-offline/
But every time my computer connects to the neato it turns off.
deepfriarmedia

Postby glnc222 » May 1st, 2017, 2:14 pm

When you got a Neato Control display before the shut down was not immediately as the connection is made, since Neato Control issued many text commands to make its display.
There could be a hardware issue with Neato's power supply, the capacitor C10 problem disrupting the cpu. The problem with USB here has not been reported before so no particular fix is known.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » May 1st, 2017, 2:15 pm

Caution without a properly working system updating can "brick" the system. Everything must be perfect for flashing firmware correctly.
Technically flashing is performed by the Neato cpu and software, just getting the data over USB. So it has to be working well.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » May 1st, 2017, 2:21 pm

Are you using a USB cable without a UART serial device? i.e., straight through cable and the Neato 32 or 64 bit driver?
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » May 1st, 2017, 2:31 pm

Old AMD-Nvidea PC's have a system board driver defect preventing Neato's odd single character packer protocol, working on other PC's, Intel and newer. So maybe no USB hubs as Vic mentioned. I don't think those old PC's would get even one character echo from Neato.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » May 1st, 2017, 2:51 pm

In the "Mods & Repairs" list main page there is reference to a procedure to revert to the backup firmware version in the Neato, certain button presses. Using this might correct any defect in the running version preventing proper USB operation.
Those old Rev113 boards were updated over the internet with the same updater program used off line, so it works on a good system.
It is also possible the PC is cutting off the USB connection, not the Neato. Only some fancy diagnostic software could determine this I suppose.

USB also works with Neato on the dock, though apparently not for updating. Still a way to test power issues affecting USB.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby johnnyoc3 » May 28th, 2017, 11:12 pm

*double post*
Last edited by johnnyoc3 on May 28th, 2017, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyoc3

Postby johnnyoc3 » May 28th, 2017, 11:22 pm

Hello im trying to debug a potential LIDAR issue with my XV21. For the past few weeks it's occasionally saying "my vision is blocked" along with various 4 digit error codes. If i tell it to continue it chugs along as if nothing happened. I've read the info from user "goonie0" asking a similar question in this thread. Im hoping someone could help me out debugging this issue as his question was never resolved.

see attached "log.txt" for output from GetLDSScan

also see my "scan" images. http://imgur.com/a/3nuZq

let me know if i should provide additional info!

any help or guidance is appreciated

thank you
Attachments
log.txt
log
(5.27 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
johnnyoc3

Postby glnc222 » May 29th, 2017, 2:02 am

Lidar repairs are discussed in threads http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19263&p=143381&hilit=vision+blocked#p143381
and http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19936&p=143773&hilit=vision+blocked#p143773
This thread is just for features, releases, and usage of the Neato Control Program itself, which assists in various repairs with data access.
Intermittant lidar failures are often due to wear on mechanical parts, motor, belt, slip ring and bearing discussed at above links.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby filipemonte » June 18th, 2017, 8:27 am

Hi!
I need some help with my neato XV21. A few months ago the LCD screen stopped working, but the robot was still working properly. Last week he stopped working, and wont turn on. When I try to turn it on the light goes red and I can't see what is the problem because of the broken LCD.

I'm using the Neato Control to try to detect what is wrong, but I'm very lost. I have tried to run the commang GetERR to see what is the problem but all I get as result is this:

GetTime
Sunday 0:00:00
================================================

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my main goal is to discover what is blocking the robot to turn it on, if you guys have any tips I will be very happy.

(I live in Brazil, neato has no support here :( )
filipemonte

Postby Medtech » June 18th, 2017, 2:53 pm

filipemonte
You should publish answers to the GetVersion request and copy the Sensor page. The robot does not give direct answers about the malfunction, it is worth checking all the robot systems separately in the program.
Thank you GOOGLE translator for the freedom of communication.
Medtech
Robot Addict

Postby filipemonte » June 21st, 2017, 8:34 pm

Mettech, thank you for the reply.

This is the result of running GetVersion command:

Software,3,2,18755
BatteryType,1,NIMH_12CELL,
BlowerType,1,BLOWER_ORIG,
BrushSpeed,1200,,
BrushMotorType,1,BRUSH_MOTOR_ORIG,
SideBrushType,1,SIDE_BRUSH_NONE,
WheelPodType,1,WHEEL_POD_ORIG,
DropSensorType,1,DROP_SENSOR_ORIG,
MagSensorType,1,MAG_SENSOR_ORIG,
WallSensorType,1,WALL_SENSOR_ORIG,
Locale,1,LOCALE_USA,
LDS Software,V2.6.15295,0000000000,
LDS Serial,KSH10714AA-0240619,,
LDS CPU,F2802x/c001,,
MainBoard Vendor ID,505,,
MainBoard Serial Number,184461,,
BootLoader Software,18119,P,p
MainBoard Software,18077,1,
MainBoard Boot,16219,
MainBoard Version,4,0,
ChassisRev,2,,
UIPanelRev,1,,
================================================

And here are the sensors page:

____ Discrete: ____=
SNSR_DC_JACK_CONNECT=False
SNSR_DUSTBIN_IS_IN=False
SNSR_LEFT_WHEEL_EXTENDED=False
SNSR_RIGHT_WHEEL_EXTENDED=False
LSIDEBIT=False
LFRONTBIT=False
RSIDEBIT=False
RFRONTBIT=False
____ Analog: ____=
WallSensorInMM=40
BatteryVoltageInmV=16120
LeftDropInMM=60
RightDropInMM=60
LeftMagSensor=-2
RightMagSensor=-1
UIButtonInmV=3316
VacuumCurrentInmA=0
ChargeVoltInmV=304
BatteryTemp0InC=35
BatteryTemp1InC=34
CurrentInmA=464
SideBrushCurrentInmA=0
VoltageReferenceInmV=1224
AccelXInmG=16
AccelYInmG=-16
AccelZInmG=1008
____ Buttons: ____=
BTN_SOFT_KEY=False
BTN_SCROLL_UP=False
BTN_START=False
BTN_BACK=False
BTN_SCROLL_DOWN=False
____ Charger: ____=
FuelPercent=97
BatteryOverTemp=0
ChargingActive=OFF: 0
ChargingEnabled=OFF: 0
ConfidentOnFuel=0
OnReservedFuel=0
EmptyFuel=0
BatteryFailure=0
ExtPwrPresent=0
ThermistorPresent[0]=1
ThermistorPresent[1]=1
BattTempCAvg[0]=35
BattTempCAvg[1]=34
VBattV=16.08
VExtV=0.31
Charger_mAH=0

I know the sensors says that the bin is open (i got a problem in this sensor), but if I press the bin button/sensor harder it show that the bin is closed and the robot won't turn on.
filipemonte

Postby Medtech » June 23rd, 2017, 4:14 am

At first glance, you are all right, it is worth shooting a video of the launch attempt.
Thank you GOOGLE translator for the freedom of communication.
Medtech
Robot Addict

Postby filipemonte » June 25th, 2017, 4:27 pm

Thank you again, here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NONpO0_weCg

Is there any way to see in the PC what the LCD should show?
filipemonte

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics