NeatoControl - program for diagnostic neato robots

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: NeatoControl - program for diagnostic neato robots

Postby HiTec » October 17th, 2018, 10:01 am

Does neatocontrol support newer robots like Botvac D5?
HiTec
Robot Groupie

Postby glnc222 » October 17th, 2018, 2:13 pm

Please report whether the model has a USB jack. They might be superseded by WiFi. There might also be a serial port edge connector on the system board used in some other threads on adding WiFi to older models.
Neato Robotics may have some support site for WiFi application programming I would have to look up -- for Alexa support and what not. I might be confusing this with Amazon Alexa support.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » October 17th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Old reference found from when WiFi was added; precedes Vorwerk ownership. No idea what's there. Maybe Neato Control could be modified to work over WiFi. Source code is in the Neato Control download. Something was added about going through the PC's I/O system generally. What's in the robot is the question.
Neato Developers Network. Roberto Ostinelli, Neato Robotics' Director of Cloud Services. https://developers.neatorobotics.com/
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby HiTec » October 17th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Yes, D5 has a USB port, even though Neato is only supporting OTA-updates. D5 also has a pin header beneath the bumper, opposite side where the "Neato Scheduler" ESP chip would be installed.
HiTec
Robot Groupie

Postby glnc222 » October 17th, 2018, 10:36 pm

With the USB port the command language probably works; Neato Control just uses this text command language in the firmware, manual links top of this forum. There may be a different device ID than older models and have to manually enter the port number in Neato Control (port number available in Windows; the id can be found in advanced device info in Windows; the programmer might add this if you report it and I send to him, or use the bug reporting form at the Russian website -- XV and Botvac have different ones). The command language can be tested with any terminal emulator besides the Neato Control Program. Neato Control renders the text info in more useful graphical interface, especially for the lidar scan, and adds other features like data logging.

You do need the Neato Robotics USB driver which used to be at their website. If not it can be emailed, you need to supply an address.
Neato discontinued online USB firmware updates, maybe for security or risky procedure, a few years ago, then added this new method on the Botvac, probably more secure and reliable. Firmware flashing a separate matter from the diagnostic software for USB. Since flashing is actually performed by the robot itself, with data over USB, there is a risk of damaging the USB software in the robot if anything goes wrong, so a tricky business they have to do right.

(edit) WiFi robots moved to WiFi updates instead of USB, so they can be done automatically etc. like some PC updates.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Mattb83 » February 12th, 2019, 3:46 pm

hi everyone, im really struggling installing the neato control software.... well the software is fine but when i go to run it its saing i need a driver? but i cant find it anywhere? im new too all this but im really trying to fix my d3 and i think this could really help me.
Mattb83

Postby TechGuy » February 12th, 2019, 11:41 pm

Try the driver from the XV updater in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19005&hilit=firmware+update
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,.H-Bridge Repair How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » February 20th, 2019, 10:07 pm

February 2019: the USB driver installation files are now posted here in attachments as apparently no longer accessible at the Neato Robotics Website; see post top of thread http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=127716#p127716

[edit]This driver has probably been discontinued at NeatoRobotics.com because the code is not being maintained for changes required by future operating system changes, and could waste time of Customer Service with inquiries. Typical of old, obsolete electronic equipment no longer supported. The newer Neato models use WiFi.
glnc222
Robot Master

What to look at to determine if LIDAR is damaged?

Postby daniel3ub » March 2nd, 2019, 9:19 pm

Hi everyone!

I've got a defective XV-21. The LCD is not working (I'm ok with it) and it seems the LIDAR unit is also defective.

I've got NeatoControl to work on my Mac, and I can see the sensors and everything. Neat ;)

However, I cannot be sure about the LIDAR thing.

At the Sensors tab, what should I be looking for to test the LIDAR?

I try turning on the "Scan LSD" in the "Motors" tab, but nothing happens (I was expecting that because I can see the motor is not spinning when the XV-21 is put to work).

On the Scanner tab, I only see a small icon of the robot and what looks like a radar grid. Nothing else.

What would be the proper way to check the lasers here?

Thanks a lot for your input!
daniel3ub

Postby glnc222 » March 3rd, 2019, 12:47 am

Neato Control employs a text command language supported by the firmware, manual on it listed top of forum here. The Lidar scan command requires first issuing a Lidar spin command separately. The RPM is sensed and the scan probably does not proceed if the lidar is not spinning. The problem is likely in the motor not the laser; lot of motor replacements discussed here. They do wear out, the brushes etc., not a durable type. Made for CD players. Other parts related to spinning can also be at fault, the belt, the slip ring etc. but most often it appears to be worn out motors.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby daniel3ub » March 3rd, 2019, 2:05 am

Awesome, thanks.

I've opened the robot and everything seems fine, so I'm guessing I'll try these commands.

Good to know it may be the motor only!
daniel3ub

Postby glnc222 » March 3rd, 2019, 8:46 pm

Neato Control has a feature for entering the text commands, though they can also be used with a terminal emulator program such as terraterm, whatever. Neato Control continuously polls the sensors by repeating the GetSensor commands, for greater convenience. It also displays somewhere the Lidar spin RPM, and a symptom of bad motors is unstable and too low rpm, besides not spinning at all (which might raise power supply issues).
glnc222
Robot Master

Previous

Return to Neato Robotics