Neato Dust Bin Fix (brute force method)

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato Dust Bin Fix (brute force method)

Postby natty » March 4th, 2015, 8:01 pm

This is for a loose dustbin that keeps popping up. The sensor button is still good, the bin just won't stay closed.

I have two X11 units. Both refurb. Both had a problem with the dustbin constantly popping up when the unit went over a bump or transition. Both out of warranty. I couldn't find anything with a search besides 'buy a new bin' or 'return for warranty'. I fixed mine two different ways.

Fix 1: I took a soldering iron and slightly changed the little tabs on the dustbin. I tried to make the lip a little bigger so it would catch the tabs on the vacuum. Seems to work so far but imprecise and...(see next item)

Fix 2: I screwed up the tabs on the second unit and now it wouldn't stay in at all. So I went nuclear and got a couple of screws. Without much regard for what was underneath, I plunged them into the top of my Neato. Now it's fixed.
1. You need two small sheet metal screws - 1/2 - 1/4 inch long, small diameter. I used 1/2" X ?
2. Also, two washers with a large enough inside diameter that they can slide around a little bit on the screw shaft.
3. Drive the screw so that the washer will barely let the dust bin past when in the 'unlock' position. Once the bin is inserted, you can slide the washer to the 'lock' position. Tighten the screw such that you can still slide the washer around but not too loose.
4. You'll probably need to take the screw out once and trim flush the plastic that pushes up around the screw when you drive it in, as this will keep the washer from sliding around.

Here's the screw I used and both washers in the lock position.

This is the unlocked position:

Here the bottom one is locked and the top unlocked:

Note: There is something below that causes the screw to go a little crooked. Probably the vertical edge of the housing or something. Everything still works fine though.

I could have used a bigger washer but that's what I had on hand. The sheet metal screw is good because it has larger threads that will grip better in the plastic.
natty

Re: Neato Dust Bin Fix (brute force method)

Postby mfortuna » March 5th, 2015, 12:39 am

The expression in New England is this is a farm boy fix. That is a complement for using what you have at hand to fix something. Good work!
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby pbleile » May 30th, 2015, 1:01 am

I have a relatively new XV-21 that has the dust bin pop-up problem. The fix I figured out is much easier. It won't void your warranty, and you can still easily open the bin with hassles or tools. In other words, it makes it work like it was supposed to.

DustBinFix.JPG

You can use any kind of tape you have handy. Duct tape would be classic, but would leave a sticky residue.

This works because it puts some pressure on the hold down tabs at the front. Just add enough tape until you get a nice "snap in" feel.
pbleile

Postby johnnyh » June 1st, 2015, 10:04 pm

I've had this issue on several units (Botvacs). My fix was to cut a tiny square (about 1/4" a side) of felt with a peel off adhesive on one side (this is the stuff from Home Depot) and place it on the end of the post on the dustbin the contacts the bin out sensor switch. It's worked for several units. Simple and very little effort, doesn't void any warranty, and is "invisible".

John Hanzl
Author, action/adventure
Out Of Hell's Kitchen
www.johnhanzl.com
johnnyh
Robot Groupie

Postby Blur1221 » October 9th, 2015, 9:07 am

Thanks for the painters tape idea it worked on mine like a charm and you can't see it!
Blur1221

Postby Dadooze » February 3rd, 2016, 3:29 pm

Try elastic bands.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Dadooze

Postby Jeremysm1 » April 20th, 2016, 12:38 am

The rubber band solution worked like a charm. This is a Neato design flaw and they should recall the parts and fix them.
Jeremysm1

Postby Brett » May 25th, 2017, 3:29 am

So I had a customer machine with the same issue. I solved it at first by applying a bit of heat-shrink tube to those tangs (where the rubber bands are above). This worked fine and the machine went back to the customer. But wasn't long before she called back saying it was happening again, (the heat-shrink tube widgets were gone). So I got the machine back and thought about a more permanent solution...

Cut some thin metal shim material. I have some brass shim-stock material somewhere I wanted to use, but I'm buggered if I could find it, so I cut up a large tin (this one was the base part of a 4lt Methylated spirits tin). Cut a strip, and shaped it to fit and glued them in:

Presto!

I'll update this if there are any further developments, but I'm pretty confident this is a permanent fix...

q-B
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby surf » August 29th, 2017, 11:46 am

Thanks for all the help. I will try the painters tape now that I see where you all are applying a bit of pressure to the bin to keep it snug.
surf

Return to Neato Robotics