Not Charging - Dock issue?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Not Charging - Dock issue?

Postby Brett » May 4th, 2015, 10:02 pm

XV-21 came in with charging issues, and narrowed it down to the dock.

Power supply inside generates the correct voltage (but I'm still going to try swapping with a known good one to check under load) but I found this on the PCB inside the dock workings:
This looks horribly like those widgets have bled their life juices all over the place? Or is that stuff put there specially to lead electonics dimwits like me astray? Heh!

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Re: Not Charging - Dock issue?

Postby glnc222 » May 5th, 2015, 12:01 am

Probably leaked electrolyte fluid from inside the electrolytic capacitor cans. Not supposed to be there. LIke a leaking battery cell. Not surprising the circuit doesn't work.
Whether cheaper to replace components or the dock depends on individual situation, how obtained etc. There is a question whether the damage to capacitors caused damage to other parts.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby shirgal » May 8th, 2015, 4:59 pm

Brett,
I support glnc222 with my photo from good working charger base.
Attachments
Photo 08-05-15, 23 43 19.jpg
shirgal
Robot Addict

Postby Brett » May 9th, 2015, 11:20 am

Thanks! Yes, I have ordered another dock from Brandon...

(-8
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby Brett » May 10th, 2015, 9:23 pm

Is it worth having a go to repair this? Those components look like they are some sort of surface mount (didn't see any pins sticking through the board). Wouldn't mind having a spare working dock here.

(-8
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » May 11th, 2015, 12:18 pm

If you can identify the value of the caps from markings, which are supposed to be "low ESR type" for switching circuits, they are inexpensive (from the discussion of replacing similar C10 on the main board). There is an issue whether they are glued to the board. There appears to be room to position leads onto solder pads, but not my specialty. Since broken, what's to lose -- if you have the tools... Try Ebay or Digi-Key for parts.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Brett » May 16th, 2015, 12:16 am

Yes!

My capacitors have the following written on them:

and I have been struggling to search on the web what the capacitance and voltage is. And as I came to post here I see shirgal's pic is much more useful with
5S
35V

written on them. Seems like they are 35V 100uF?! Can anybody confirm this for me please? If they are, that will be awesome because wadda ya know - I have a bag full of those!

I also found an good "for-dummies" link for doing this:

(-8
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » May 16th, 2015, 2:08 am

The capacitor in the upper left picture is a 100uF, 6V cap. I have not been following this thread closely but if this is a 5V circuit then using a 6V capacitor is risky.

It is strange your caps are marked 350 instead of 35V. 350 for a capacitor usually implies a capacitance value of 35pF but is not normally used to indicate a voltage value. It is a safe bet your caps are rated for 35V. There is no such thing as a 0.35V or 3.5V capacitor as far as I know.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » May 16th, 2015, 3:35 am

There is a power management IC on those boards and a 6v capacitor suggests a linear voltage regulator to supply low voltage from the 24v charging supply. Maybe some failure feeding 24v into the capacitors rated much lower could cause the damage. Just replacing the capacitors might not fix the circuit. I recall Gordon examined photos of these dock boards at one time but could not identify all the components (possibly not in posts here).
Putting 35v capacitors on could prevent damage but not make the circuit work.
There could be more reasons why capacitors would leak than just defects in their manufacture.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics