Making Botvac magnet feel better

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Making Botvac magnet feel better

Postby Vink » May 16th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Hi friends,
It is known that Botvac has somewhat worse magnet feel then Neato XV series. It often doesnt sense a magnet strip under the carpet in situations where XV does.
One way I think to solve a problem is a new firmware with fixes to this issue, but who knows when Neato engeneers do this.
The other way I've found i to make Botvac more responsitive to low magnet band signal is to place magnet sensor closer to the floor by 3-4 mm. It can be easily done by eliminating air gap between magnet sensor chip and bottom cover of a botvac.

See a handmade picture I provide here. It selfexplanatory I think :)

After this mod my botvac always detects magnet strip under the acrilic carpet and never fail, as it did before.

Botvac mgnt sensor.png
Botvac magnet sensor mod
Vink

Re: Making Botvac magnet feel better

Postby glnc222 » May 19th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Mag sensor pics "How to Disassemble a Neato Botvac" http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=128176#p128176

[edit] More at http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=131834#p131834
mag sensor IC identified and another user's fix.

[edit] Given one user damaging the IC when filing down the board end, it might be advisable to cover the face of the IC with duck tape when filing, especially with any power tool.
glnc222
Robot Master

Re: Making Botvac magnet feel better

Postby Peter101 » April 30th, 2016, 6:19 pm

I did this mod and measured my height improvement at about 0.1 inch. This measurement was assisted by using the usb Neato control software and noticing when the magnetic sensor value changed. The magnetic sensor had 3 values: 0 with no magnet strip close, 1 if close, and 2 if the magnetic strip is flipped over and close. My botvac had slightly better distance sensitivity when the magnetic strip was flipped over.

The botvac firmware behaves the same when encountering a flipped over magnetic strip.

-Peter
Peter101

Return to Neato Robotics