Neato reveals new Botvac D series of robot vacuums

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato reveals new Botvac D series of robot vacuums

Postby Loshki » May 27th, 2015, 6:33 pm

Is this actually anything new?

http://www.slashgear.com/neato-reveals- ... -27385380/

The highlights, if you can call them that, appear to be:

1) "slick new black and white design scheme"

2) "brush system has been updated for the D75 and D85"

(Bah, humbug)

Loshki
Loshki

Re: Neato reveals new Botvac D series of robot vacuums

Postby glnc222 » May 27th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Difference appears to be introduction of a "spiral blade brush" presumably helical like the combo but all blade, no bristles, contrasting with the flat vane previous blade brush. http://www.neatorobotics.com/robot-vacuum/botvac-d-series/
Along with the usual color scheme changes to distinguish models and bundles, and to mark the passage of years (how else to tell your unit is new?).
They always start a series with dull colors and get more exciting over time, with a new color every year. Like car makers changing the palette of available paints for current production.
I doubt the XV series is still manufactured though inventory remains to sell, only in some places. Some warranty replacements have been made with Botvac's.

I wonder if they will ever fix the bumper height which needs to be lowered. It did not look like they would ever fix the problem of the turret getting squeezed over head, but then Vorwerk added bumper sensing to the turret. So there is no telling what the future holds.
Last edited by glnc222 on May 27th, 2015, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » May 27th, 2015, 7:54 pm

I don't see a big change in the Botvac D series. The Dustbin is now black as well as the Lidar top cover. Possibly there are internal changes that are not visible. The NeatoControl program may help discover additional changes. Also the firmware may have new tweaks.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » May 28th, 2015, 1:24 am

It will be interesting to see if this new spiral blade brush continues use of the ball bearing mount which has proved vulnerable to debris damage. Or whether they have gone back to the bushing mount. Unlikely, as they seem to have taken the advice given in the classic film "The Graduate": plastics...

In time this new brush will be available separately.
[edit] Looks like they did address the mounting, though as reported below, it came out incompatible with the original Botvac housing or brush guard. A closer inspection is needed when a unit becomes available. Getting the brush end as close as possible to the outer edge of the vacuum imposes requirements on designs, so not surprising. Looks like fixing the mount is one of those cases of "be careful what you wish for".

spiralblade.jpg
Botvac-D brush incompatible older Botvac's
spiralblade.jpg (7.96 KiB) Viewed 9907 times

Recall the XV-21 model was also defined by introducing a new brush, the combo or "pet" brush. They seem to be emphasizing pets again in ad copy. Ironic just that application presses on durability of the bearing mount.
Last edited by glnc222 on May 28th, 2015, 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby ninjapanda » May 28th, 2015, 6:57 am

The bearing mount looks different to what is currently used on the Botvac brushes. It's confirmed the new series D brushes are not compatible with the old Botvacs either

Picture of the new brush:
http://www.neatorobotics.com/accessorie ... ade-brush/

According to Neatos Facebook social media team:
"the D series is quieter and has a newly-designed spiral blade brush that is quieter on hard floors. It also reduces hair buildup in the brush assembly so it is easier to keep clean. There have also been a few changes to the brush guard and squeegee that give better movement on some synthetic carpet and rugs. Plus a new cleaning tool that helps keep the brush and filters clean and debris-free."
ninjapanda

Postby voicegy » May 28th, 2015, 11:13 am

Wow, it comes with a cleaning tool. Of which I can't find a picture of.

I use my regular vacuum to clean my Botvac filter, bin, and combo brush - so, other than the (yet another yawn) color scheme, there's nothing in the "D" series (funny, aren't they ALL "D" series when it comes to shape?) that would compel me to upgrade from my current Botvac, especially since the battery type is still the same, as well as the tiny screen annoying interface.
voicegy
Robot Groupie

Postby djos » May 28th, 2015, 5:51 pm

glnc222 wrote:It will be interesting to see if this new spiral blade brush continues use of the ball bearing mount which has proved vulnerable to debris damage. Or whether they have gone back to the bushing mount. Unlikely, as they seem to have taken the advice given in the classic film "The Graduate": plastics...

In time this new brush will be available separately.
[edit] Looks like they did address the mounting, though as reported below, it came out incompatible with the original Botvac housing or brush guard. A closer inspection is needed when a unit becomes available. Getting the brush end as close as possible to the outer edge of the vacuum imposes requirements on designs, so not surprising. Looks like fixing the mount is one of those cases of "be careful what you wish for".

spiralblade.jpg

Recall the XV-21 model was also defined by introducing a new brush, the combo or "pet" brush. They seem to be emphasizing pets again in ad copy. Ironic just that application presses on durability of the bearing mount.

Not sure why they call it a "spiral blade brush", it's just the same old flat bladed flapper bar with a fix for the bearing debris issue.
Current Robot's:
Neato BotVac 80 w/ Li-NMC Battery , 2x XV11 w/ Li-NMC Battery
iRobot Roomba 561 w/ NiMh Battery & Aerovac Bin, Scooba 380 w/ Li-NMC Battery

Previous Robots:
iRobot Roomba 562PE w/ Aerovac Bin & Sealed-bearing CHM
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » May 29th, 2015, 4:40 pm

I heard the new brush is from the Vorwerk VR200. The combo brush was also first supplied on Vorwerk. A little quicker release than before.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby ninjapanda » May 31st, 2015, 10:07 am

djos wrote:Not sure why they call it a "spiral blade brush", it's just the same old flat bladed flapper bar with a fix for the bearing debris issue.

Because the plastic blades are laid in a spiral "helical" formation in a twist rather than straight bars. Similar to the current combo brush in formation but without the hair brush in between.

This way when the left side of the beater brush is lifting up the right side is just touching down instead of both the left and right sides hitting the floor at the same time. This should decrease noise.
ninjapanda

Postby Wing Nut » May 31st, 2015, 3:52 pm

[double post]
Last edited by Wing Nut on May 31st, 2015, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1 Neato XV-11 SW 2.0 Board Rev 113 / 3500mAh battery pack installed May 2013 / Pet & Allergy pack installed Sept 2013. In July 2014, received and repaired a faulty #2 Neato XV-11, running Lithium Power 4400mAh battery since July 2015
Wing Nut
Robot Addict

Postby Wing Nut » May 31st, 2015, 3:52 pm

ninjapanda wrote:Because the plastic blades are laid in a spiral "helical" formation in a twist rather than straight bars.

From the image in the post above, and on other D model review sites, it would appear that the D model comes with a straight blade drum.

http://9to5toys.com/2015/05/27/neato-next-gen-robotic-vacuums/neato-botvac-d-series-05/
#1 Neato XV-11 SW 2.0 Board Rev 113 / 3500mAh battery pack installed May 2013 / Pet & Allergy pack installed Sept 2013. In July 2014, received and repaired a faulty #2 Neato XV-11, running Lithium Power 4400mAh battery since July 2015
Wing Nut
Robot Addict

Postby djos » May 31st, 2015, 5:34 pm

Wing Nut wrote:
ninjapanda wrote:Because the plastic blades are laid in a spiral "helical" formation in a twist rather than straight bars.

From the image in the post above, and on other D model review sites, it would appear that the D model comes with a straight blade drum.

http://9to5toys.com/2015/05/27/neato-next-gen-robotic-vacuums/neato-botvac-d-series-05/

Exactly, the blades on the standard "brush" are flat just like they have always been.
Current Robot's:

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » May 31st, 2015, 6:52 pm

The Vorwerk VR200 brush (likely the new Botvac brush) is shown in YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9U2mypXvmw
I like the drive belt side shaft. A thin shaft through the shield instead of a wide opening for a broad plastic fitting. I have long thought those are a source of fiber contamination. Less chance through a narrow hole.
Looks like the bearing side has a bushing instead of ball bearing, though they do come very small and hard to see.
Thanks to Shirgal for link.

[edit] I can imagine the debate going on in the company when the Botvac was first developed. The German side goes for highest quality for more expensive products automatically, whatever the needs, while the Neato side seeks the cheapest production costs, and just does not realize the finer details of bearings (the benign interpretation). In the end the bearing problem is serious enough to threaten sales and the higher cost option is necessary. Similar to original spring mounts breaking and rear grates melting from heat in bad contacts. Now if they would only address the problems of navigating furniture instead of only things in the unit construction. But then, how would we have mods to publish?
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Wing Nut » June 1st, 2015, 4:31 am

glnc222 wrote: But then, how would we have mods to publish?

Quite right! Even while both my Neatos are running perfectly, I find it a slightly puzzling as to why I'm reading everything anyone cares to post about these clever little time-savers. However, toaster, clothes drier and refrigerator forums have yet to capture even my slightest interest :think:
Wing Nut
Robot Addict

Postby ninjapanda » June 1st, 2015, 9:45 am

djos wrote:
Wing Nut wrote:

Exactly, the blades on the standard "brush" are flat just like they have always been.

I don't understand why other people can't see the spiral. I can clearly see the spiral in the embedded photo in this thread and in the link to the photo I gave earlier. Just follow the lines carefully! It's quite visible to me that there is a twist.

Admittedly there is no spiral formation in that 9to5 link but perhaps that was a prototype?

Comment from Neato:
"Visually the brushes are quite similar. The new blade brush has gentle 60 degree twist to the blades along the length of the barrel. Instead of the full length of a flat blade slapping the floor as it rotates, the spiral blade touches in only one place at a time. When the left end of one blade is about to lift off the floor, the right end of the next blade touches down, creating a constant force applied to the floor. And the minimal twist still maintains important sealing within the brush well, something steeper spirals cannot achieve. "
ninjapanda

Postby robocleaner » June 1st, 2015, 10:59 am

ninjapanda wrote:I don't understand why other people can't see the spiral... It's quite visible to me that there is a twist...

Comment from Neato:
"Instead of the full length of a flat blade slapping the floor as it rotates, the spiral blade touches in only one place at a time..."

Oh whoopee do! What makes me laugh is that this is EXACTLY that same blade design that Electrolux introduced with their Trilobite in 1997! How thick are Neato that it takes them 17 years to copy Electrolux's "twisted" blade design to stop that ridiculous and unnecessary loud slapping noise!
2 x Karcher RC3000 (2005 & 2012), Trilobite ZA1 (2005), Navibot 8855 (2010)
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby djos » June 1st, 2015, 5:34 pm

ninjapanda wrote:I don't understand why other people can't see the spiral. I can clearly see the spiral in the embedded photo in this thread and in the link to the photo I gave earlier. Just follow the lines carefully! It's quite visible to me that there is a twist.

Admittedly there is no spiral formation in that 9to5 link but perhaps that was a prototype?

Comment from Neato:
"Visually the brushes are quite similar. The new blade brush has gentle 60 degree twist to the blades along the length of the barrel. Instead of the full length of a flat blade slapping the floor as it rotates, the spiral blade touches in only one place at a time. When the left end of one blade is about to lift off the floor, the right end of the next blade touches down, creating a constant force applied to the floor. And the minimal twist still maintains important sealing within the brush well, something steeper spirals cannot achieve. "

Twist, what twist?

Current Robot's:

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby robocleaner » June 1st, 2015, 7:55 pm

It probably doesn't help that the original/first image posted above of the whole brush assembly is at an angle; if you rotate your screen so that the brush appears horizontal, you can see the fins clearly do incrementally twist along the full length of the aluminium shaft.
2 x Karcher RC3000 (2005 & 2012), Trilobite ZA1 (2005), Navibot 8855 (2010)
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby djos » June 1st, 2015, 8:14 pm

That pic above shows the blades completely parallel to the brush guard and no twist at all.
Current Robot's:

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby ninjapanda » June 1st, 2015, 11:43 pm

djos wrote:
ninjapanda wrote:I don't understand why other people can't see the spiral. I can clearly see the spiral in the embedded photo in this thread and in the link to the photo I gave earlier. Just follow the lines carefully! It's quite visible to me that there is a twist.

Comment from Neato:

Twist, what twist?

Thanks for enlargening up that picture for the vision impaired ... I shall now bold the relevant text for those same vision impaired folk.
ninjapanda

Next

Return to Neato Robotics