Reversing in circles/Please clear my path

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Reversing in circles/Please clear my path

Postby noomba » October 24th, 2015, 6:12 am

Getting these behaviours every now and then, often at startup. Cleaning wall sensor with compressed air but a reboot seems more effective. Wall sensor reported distance maxes out at 75 where the cliff sensors reach 150. Lidar capture shows no phantom obstacles. Disparity in mag sensor readings. Anything else I can check?

Edit: xv 14 rev 64 0S 3.1
noomba

Re: Reversing in circles/Please clear my path

Postby noomba » October 24th, 2015, 7:18 am

Testing it today and I've just attempted a large area (requires a recharge mid clean) twice - both times it has come off the mid clean recharge with 'please clear my path' and if okay is hit it reverses up the base station. If I power off/on it's okay but of course has no memory of the terrain. Seems okay once underway and can return to base without incident but straight off a charge it acts like it's seen a ghost...
noomba

Postby glnc222 » October 24th, 2015, 4:32 pm

"clear my path" comes from the laser. Maybe also from the wheels when trapped (though "wheel stuck" more likely then). Intermittent failures will not show up in testing. There are cases of wear on the lidar spin motor, the belt, and debris in the bearing. The Botvac lidar from Vorwerk is a bit improved over the XV. This sort of thing is likely to build up slowly so reach a borderline state with intermittent effects. Age of the robot, intensity of use, and environment cleaned would be a factor.
The plastic windows for the sensors, and lenses on the lidar, may need cleaning with screen cleaner more than air dusting. Tell by looking closely at them.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby noomba » October 25th, 2015, 5:52 am

It's strange it seems to get stuck 'in state' rather than be actively responding to input ie once it 'senses' something it won't 'accept' it has gone until reset (on/off usb connect). Which may be how it's programmed. Anyway will get the windolene out and triple check everything... Thanks.
noomba

Postby elfamosorafo » December 12th, 2015, 6:57 pm

Just throwing it out there, but are we sure that "maybe" in the process of dismantling and reassembly , a wire might have gotten pinched?? For example>>>>>>> Upon reassembling my XV-11, I pinched the left bumper wires under the motor bracket which caused me to have the very same error and symptoms.Stuck in reverse and error message were both present at random. More so than not and it wouldn't finish the job.
Forget TALK, Show Me PROOF...
elfamosorafo

Postby glnc222 » December 13th, 2015, 7:44 pm

Halogen Room Lights?
From the Saumsung robot manual there is a warning that Halogen lights emit a lot of IR which can interfere with the IR proximity detectors on their robots anyway, and I have to wonder if that might affect Neato's and Roombas. The closer range of the Neato Wall Sensor though might make its reflections stronger and less sensitive. The Lidar, though, could be at issue with its dim reflections. There is a lidar error message for "sun blind".
Halogen bulbs run at high temperatures and are sometimes shielded against possible shatter. I used to use the original torchiere lamps with these and one exploded, but have long had fluorescent replacements, soon moving to LED flood lamps.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby elfamosorafo » January 25th, 2016, 6:47 pm

There was no clear culprit (mechanical/physical)for whatever reason my robot would reverse in circles from time to time. I would shut it down and restart it and it would temporarily fix the issue. I was convinced that it was a bug in the "programming" . Just did the Kobold Vorwerk Update and Voila!!!! Problem resolved.
Forget TALK, Show Me PROOF...
elfamosorafo

Postby glnc222 » January 25th, 2016, 7:27 pm

There is no way to reflash Botvac because no updates were ever released when online updating supported.
If corruption of the flash memory occurs there will be no way to repair them. It would take heavy duty hacking of hardware to get the code. The problem here may be the only case reported of a problem with the code memory.
Of course, very old XV's are likely to get updated.

There are two XV system boards, one very old rev113 "Cruz" with a side connector for charging. The newer system boards rev64 "Binky" will also work except the connector for the LCD was changed from a simple clamp to a more robust pin header. The LCD would have to be replaced along with the system board. Be careful with the old LCD cables, which can get ripped off the surface mount attachment to the LCD. Best to apply epoxy over that end as a strain relief at any opportunity, given how the cable must be unplugged when opening the case. Machines are normally needed to reattach that sort of connection on the LCD end.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics