GUIDE: How to update Neato XV Series using Vorwek Updater

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: GUIDE: How to update Neato XV Series using Vorwek Update

Postby thomas » January 14th, 2017, 1:05 pm

thanks for your work.

updated an xv11 from 2.4 to 3.2 with the vorwerk tool
But needed an old lenovo laptop with intel chipset to made the usb connection work.

let the testint begin.. :D
thomas

Postby cdma » January 28th, 2017, 4:05 pm

So I assume that If I have this version that I cannot upgrade?

SW 3.1.17844
LDS V2.6.15295
Board Rev 64
Board SW 17624
cdma

Postby glnc222 » January 28th, 2017, 4:30 pm

There are separate software versions for the old Rev113 Cruz system board and the newer Rev64 Binky board which you have (cpu hardware revision). Files for the Rev64 are in thread http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=134696#p134696
There is not much additional beyond v3.1 which added the "corner clever" maneuver for better cleaning in corners.
v3.4 is the last update for XV models; no updates have been made to Botvac's without WiFi. Like driver software in PC's, there is little need to update unless there is a specific problem to address. Flashing the firmware entails risks of errors damaging the system irrevocably. Flashing is performed by the robot itself, which has to be intact to perform any such operation -- catch 22 so to speak.
The WiFi models can use more frequent updates just for the complications of WiFi itself, tying the robot to a separate technology with changes over time in standards and methods, not to mention incomplete software to begin with.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby cdma » January 28th, 2017, 8:25 pm

So what you are saying is that there is no need to update. I am not having any problems but I really dont see what the difference is between 3.1 and 3.4. Is there something that shows me the improvements?
cdma

Postby glnc222 » January 31st, 2017, 8:21 pm

Neato Robotics makes some comments on the website when firmware is released but I forget where. Anyway their remarks are vague and mention "improved power management" for "better battery life" and such things without specifics. New features like the "corner clever" behavior get more coverage. I recall one thing with v3.4 was possibly addressing a peculiar behavior where the robot would stop just in front of the charger without docking. This could be due to requiring a reserve to withdraw from the dock in case of a bad connection, with inconsistent standards for measuring the reserve. It was thought they increased the reserve and slightly reduced the run time to fix this. Some revisions can just be for tweaks no one notices.
Before discontinuing internet updates the company advised updates should not be performed without a specific repair issue to address. There were a lot of problems with their internet update procedure compared to Vorwerk's, and in contrast to products such as printers. Their purpose is not clear given how it is also common not to supply free software additions to products indefinitely, and selling new hardware to cover its cost.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Geppo » May 21st, 2017, 9:16 am

Hello,
I'm going to upgrade my XV-11 Board Rev. 113 (SW 2.6.15840 LDS v2.615295) to a newer firmware release using the Djos procedure. Before upgrading I would like to know if the VR100 updater allows also to downgrade to a previuous firmware release, in the eventuality something does not work as desired in the new firmware. Reading this thread I understood that upgrading has no effect on battery charging alghorithm. I just replaced the dead original batteries with a lithium power batteries for the XV Series, so I would like to receive a confirmation before proceeding. Thank you in advance.
Geppo
Robot Addict

Postby famewolf » July 27th, 2017, 11:53 am

Really appreciate these instructions. Got my old XV-11 updated to 3.2. I also have an XV-21 which is REV 64/Binky. Can anyone point to where I can direct download the latest for it? Neato apparently "lost" all my info at some point and now wants me to re-register my device before I'm allowed to download the firmware updates.

@geppo If it helps I also had the lithium batteries in my XV-11 and the upgrade went smoothly.

*update* Please disregard my question about links for REV 64. I see the link above in the thread that I missed previously.
famewolf

Previous

Return to Neato Robotics