GUIDE: How to update Neato XV Series using Vorwek Updater

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: GUIDE: How to update Neato XV Series using Vorwek Update

Postby humanoid » February 6th, 2016, 11:33 pm

TechGuy wrote:It had problem at the front of a bathroom opening. The door was open, it inches forward and backward a few times. It gave up giving me clear my path message. It was completely lost and cannot even went back to dock.

My Rev 113 running 3.2 had a similar problem around a corner, it kept going back and forth indefinitely. I let it do that for a few minutes before I moved it. If I left it there I might have gotten the clear my path message, so I am not sure it's the same problem, but it sounds similar.

I actually might try to go down to 3.1 to see if it goes around obstacles better. I think the old 2.4 was better around corners as it tracked the obstacles closer and did not come back to the path in a sloping angle leaving a triangle uncleaned behind the obstacle.

At the same time the risk of bricking keeps me from doing it, I bricked hardware before.

Have you tried cleaning the sensors? I was surprise that they didn't read correctly on the NeatoControl program after a few runs and needed another cleanup. Side sensor should read 70mm or more uncovered and drop sensors 150 uncovered 60 covered.
humanoid
Robot Groupie

Postby TechGuy » February 6th, 2016, 11:54 pm

humanoid wrote:My Rev 113 running 3.2 had a similar problem around a corner, it kept going back and forth indefinitely. I let it do that for a few minutes before I moved it. If I left it there I might have gotten the clear my path message, so I am not sure it's the same problem, but it sounds similar.

Exactly. It was hesitating at the right edge of the door opening and 45 deg to the opening. If it moved forward at that angle, nothing was on it path. Would it be nice to have a menu selection to tell Neato to go ahead and move forward!
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
For Sale: Black CHM 2 Ball Bearings set
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby humanoid » February 7th, 2016, 3:33 am

TechGuy wrote:Exactly. It was hesitating at the right edge of the door opening and 45 deg to the opening. If it moved forward at that angle, nothing was on it path. Would it be nice to have a menu selection to tell Neato to go ahead and move forward!

Same, it was 45 degrees around the corner. My guess is that it sensed something that told it to go backwards, then when it moved back it sensed something that told it to go forward, and so on. Either a sensor problem or a bug.

If that's your problem I can tell you that in v3.2 it's not fixed. Maybe v3.1 is better.

Did you try cleaning the sensors? Especially the side sensor. Verify that they are clean using NeatoControl.
humanoid
Robot Groupie

Postby glnc222 » February 7th, 2016, 4:07 am

The handy Neato Control program from Russia makes more investigations of such problems possible now than when Neato robots were first used. Problems are not solved by speculating. Data needs to be collected. The simple thing to do is place the robot in the position where it becomes confused, hook up a laptop (I used a small netbook) and view the lidar scan and other sensors. You can manually push the Neato through its motions in approaching. It may not reveal anything, because there could be some hardware or software fault. You cannot tell until tried.

Since a bathroom is mentioned, I would look for possible reflective surface problems. Neato's lidar has its limitations reported by various users here and there. Polished stone surfaces, and thus possibly ceramic tile, have caused problems. There is also a behavior where Neato does not go into every room the first time encountered. It could be waiting to come back to that room later. Another factor is navigation in hallways. These sometimes lack the features needed for the lidar to perform location from landmarks, even mentioned in the manual, especially corridors too long for lidar's fifteen foot range.

Just starting the robot inside the problem room could be interesting. Are there other doorways it will not pass, as though Gandalf were raising his staff to ward off the demon?

There have been a few reports of Neato failing to enter various rooms, but the data needed to analyze such situations is not available. There are many variables.

Unfortunately the company does not supply diagnostic software and remote telemetry software which could analyze what is happening. Some hobbyists have added wireless devices to the Neato and found ways around some of the software's demands to shut the USB interface when cleaning and so on. Fun and games. Other threads, see the mods & repairs list.

This subject is outside the software updating technology topic of this thread and should be pursued as yet another navigation problem thread, or added to the existing ones (before our moderator is awakened from slumber yet again).

[edit] Forgot to mention Spot Clean can test some problems with an access. Neato turns right when starting Spot Clean. Is there any sort of phantom barrier detected?
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 18th, 2016, 2:54 pm

Have the code files, apart from SetConfig's, from Vorwerk and Neato been compared in content, identical?
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby gregm12 » April 4th, 2016, 11:14 pm

Just wanted to post success on my Rev 64 board from Windows 10. Was very simple once I got everything together from the couple posts around here:

Reminder - Windows 10 (X64) and Rev 64 board.
1. Install NeatoUpgrader.exe (supposedly 64 bit) as administrator
http://www.neatoroboticsupdates.com/Nea ... er_x64.exe

1b. - I rebooted at this step. I don't know if it was necessary.

2. Download the 3.4 software, save a file.enc in C:\Program Files (x86)\Neato Robotics
http://www.neatoroboticsupdates.com/Com ... .24079.enc

3. Open notepad as administrator and save a file called my.txt in C:\Program Files (x86)\Neato Robotics containing the following:
Code: Select all
send SetLanguage None
getlocal file.enc
wait 5000
send testmode on
send-nowait setsystemmode PowerCycleCDC
wait 22000
upload code reboot
wait 22000
send getversion
send SetLanguage None

4. Connect your fully charged Neato XV-11 via USB.

5. Open a command prompt as administrator, and launch NeatoUpgrader as follows:
NeatoUpgrader.exe /NoServer my.txt

Just wait a minute or 2. My Neato was in limbo for a minute. I could hear Windows detecting and losing a device a couple of times. Within 2 minutes the Neato powered up and was running 3.4.
gregm12

Postby alejoromero » April 27th, 2016, 10:00 am

thanks djos for this post. I have upgraded my Neato VX21 following your simple instructions and now it shows software version 3.2.

I now only have the problem of the "Left Wheel Stuck" that has been happening for the last month. Lets see if I can find another thread as useful like this one.
alejoromero

Postby glnc222 » April 29th, 2016, 1:00 pm

glnc222
Robot Master

Postby TechGuy » June 20th, 2016, 7:43 pm

I finally decided to update my XV-11 with hardware rev 112 using the procedures detailed in OP of this thread.
My XV-11 details
Firmware 1.0.12959
Board rev 112

I have a few questions before updating:
1. I am using a good set of batteries from my Neato Signature which run about 45 minutes before seeking dock. Can I plug in the charger directly from the side jack as an extra measure during the update?
2. I don't have to manually download the firmware file from the Vorwerk site and let the VR100 Updater to do the work. Am I correct?
3. How long will the update process take?
4. Any one had try this procedure on rev 112 board? I have a feeling that I am the first one to try this on rev 112 board. Wish me luck!
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby TechGuy » June 20th, 2016, 10:24 pm

My attempt to update my XV11 was not successful.
It failed to change the Model ID to VR100 with the following error.

SetConfig ModelID VR100
Unknown Cmd: 'SetConfig'

Therefore, I cannot use the VR100 updater without changing the Model ID.

I will call Neato tomorrow to ask for help. If Neato will not help, it will be a parts donor as it got lost quit often in front of my bathroom entrance with the door open.

Update 1:
The following lists the commands available. SetConfig command is not supported.
Help - Without any argument, this prints a list of all possible cmds.
With a command name, it prints the help for that particular command
Clean - Starts a cleaning by simulating press of start button.
GetAccel - Get the Acceleromter readings.
GetAnalogSensors - Get the A2D readings for the analog sensors.
GetButtons - Get the state of the UI Buttons.
GetCalInfo - Prints out the cal info from the System Control Block.
GetCharger - Get the diagnostic data for the charging system.
GetDigitalSensors - Get the state of the digital sensors.
GetErr - Get Error Message.
GetLDSScan - Get scan packet from LDS.
GetLifeStatLog - Get All Life Stat Logs.
GetMotors - Get the diagnostic data for the motors.
GetSchedule - Get the Cleaning Schedule. (24 hour clock format)
GetSysLog - Get System Log data.
GetTime - Get Current Scheduler Time.
GetVersion - Get the version information for the system software and hardware.
GetWarranty - Get the warranty validation codes.
PlaySound - Play the specified sound in the robot.
RestoreDefaults - Restore user settings to default.
SetDistanceCal - Set distance sensor calibration values for min and max distances.
SetFuelGauge - Set Fuel Gauge Level.
SetMotor - Sets the specified motor to run in a direction at a requested speed. (TestMode Only)
SetTime - Sets the current day, hour, and minute for the scheduler clock.
SetLED - Sets the specified LED to on,off,blink, or dim. (TestMode Only)
SetLCD - Sets the LCD to the specified display. (TestMode Only)
SetLDSRotation - Sets LDS rotation on or off. Can only be run in TestMode.
SetSchedule - Modify Cleaning Schedule.
SetSystemMode - Set the operation mode of the robot. (TestMode Only)
SetStreamFormat - Sets format of IO stream for terminal or packet
SetWallFollower - Enables/Disables wall follower
TestMode - Sets TestMode on or off. Some commands can only be run in TestMode.
Upload - Uploads new program to the robot.
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby zhangckid » July 14th, 2016, 11:02 pm

djos wrote:Hi All, while restoring an old XV-11 I discovered the removal of Neato's clumsy upgrade process and while there is a new manual method, it's no good for the older rev113 "Cruz" XV's and it's prolly got a high risk of bricking if you stuff it up.

So based on a couple of clues glnc222 left lying around, I figured out a better way.

Part 1 - Getting the Software
* Download the NeatoControl.exe program
* Download and install the Neato Update Software glnc222 has found the links for (you need the drivers)
* Download and install the Vorwerk VR100 Update Software

Part 2 - Updating Your XV Bot
* Run the NeatoControl.exe software, press "Connect"
* On the "Commands" Tab, enter and run the command "SetConfig ModelID VR100"
* Back on the main tab, select "disconnect", then "connect" - your model should show as a VR100 now.
* Before you exit NeatoControl, use the "disconnect" button to put your Neato back into normal mode.
* Run the Vorwerk VR100 update software, just accept all the defaults and let it do it's thing automatically.
* Once you have updated your Bot, use the NeatoControl.exe program (as described above) to send the command "SetConfig ModelID XV11" and you have a Neato VX11 (or 14/15/21 etc) again.
* Before you exit NeatoControl, use the "disconnect" button to put your Neato back into normal mode.

Enjoy, this will work for all XV Series using the rev 113 "Cruz" board and will give the latest Firmware available for your revision (mine was v3.2 for rev113).

Warning I've had several reports of this method NOT working on newer Rev64 "Binky" boards - please proceed with caution.

:cheers:

Hi~~~
my robot is xv12 v113, when I use NeatoControl.exe connect it, my robot auto reboot....so...it can not connect....
have any comments for this situation???

Thanks for review...
Zhang Chen
zhangckid

Postby glnc222 » July 15th, 2016, 12:31 am

When sending individual commands to the Neato instead of continuously reading sensors etc., you can use a terminal emulator such as hyperterminal etc. instead of Neato Control. The port number will be displayed in Windows Devices & Printers utility. Don't know MACs. Neato Control just automates this process for complex uses.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby djos » July 15th, 2016, 1:57 am

Interestingly I've reverted to FW3.1 via the Neato Updater Method.

I found after installing Lithium Power Batteries in my XV11 that the back end melting bug from FW2.x seems to rear it's ugly head. I didnt have any issues with NiMH batteries on FW3.2.
Current Robot's:
Neato BotVac 80 w/ Li-NMC Battery , 2x XV11 w/ Li-NMC Battery
iRobot Roomba 561 w/ NiMh Battery, Scooba 380 w/ Li-NMC Battery

Previous Robots:
iRobot Roomba 562PE w/ Aerovac Bin & Sealed-bearing CHM
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » July 15th, 2016, 3:30 pm

The back end melting problem seems to have been caused by poor contact with dock contacts allowing heat to be produced under high current through the connection with some resistance -- like a light bulb. Some docks had defective plastic molding binding the contacts. The solution was the enhanced docking motion with wiggling to insure good contact (instead of fixing the hardware), and sensing of the connection etc. It is hard to imagine any subsequent software version would lack this behavior. None was observed here in several updates over time up to v3.1 and v3.4, if I remember correctly. The system was further improved with the new system boards Rev64 Binky lacking the side power jack, and eliminating a resistor across the rear charging contacts, with a new dock circuit design as well.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby zhangckid » July 19th, 2016, 3:14 am

glnc222 wrote:When sending individual commands to the Neato instead of continuously reading sensors etc., you can use a terminal emulator such as hyperterminal etc. instead of Neato Control. The port number will be displayed in Windows Devices & Printers utility. Don't know MACs. Neato Control just automates this process for complex uses.

Thanks for your review
I have update my robot in use neatoupdate and neato control ..
and I find this way can make my robot connect succsess.
1. use usb 2.0 port
2. use winxp 32 bit os(I use qemu-kvm make a winxp)
3. power off neato, then start it. the first connect is OK....

and the Vorwerk VR100 Update Software always faild.....
zhangckid

Postby EvilPaladin » July 20th, 2016, 11:33 pm

zhangckid wrote:
glnc222 wrote:When sending individual commands to the Neato instead of continuously reading sensors etc., you can use a terminal emulator such as hyperterminal etc. instead of Neato Control. The port number will be displayed in Windows Devices & Printers utility. Don't know MACs. Neato Control just automates this process for complex uses.

Thanks for your review
I have update my robot in use neatoupdate and neato control ..
and I find this way can make my robot connect succsess.
1. use usb 2.0 port
2. use winxp 32 bit os(I use qemu-kvm make a winxp)
3. power off neato, then start it. the first connect is OK....

and the Vorwerk VR100 Update Software always faild.....

i actually have the same issue as you, i will be trying what you mentioned above.
will update here with my results.

Ok this is what i have discovered:

I can only communicate with XV21 2.6 Rev113 on Windows XP Pro x32bit (Can't do it on windows 7 x32bit or windows 10 x64bit)
Managed to update to setconfig to vr100 via Putty, a terminal emulation program
Managed to run the VR100 update software, but it always fails on step 5/5

Tried to use the NeatoControl program, immediately after it does its testversion it disconnects (Evident as all other options turn from
Tried to use the NeatoUpgrade tool, it cites COM port failure

Anyone knows how to run the upgrade process directly from the terminal emulation program? (I checked through the documentation on web, but cannot find it)
Last edited by EvilPaladin on July 24th, 2016, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilPaladin

Postby EvilPaladin » July 22nd, 2016, 1:30 am

anyone have this issue where you connect to your neato and it just shuts down by itself?

tried using neato upgrader tool and neatocontrol and still same results.
EvilPaladin

Postby markswift » August 31st, 2016, 12:37 pm

I also have this issue with my VR100, using the updater or neatocontrol just makes it reset :(
markswift

Postby snowtm53 » October 7th, 2016, 2:59 am

Awesome post. Worked a treat and managed to apply the 3.4 firmware to my Neato Xv21.
But as the saying goes, the operation was a success but the patient died anyway. I hasten to amend this to say the patient is alive and well but still has serious health issues.
Everything looks wonderful, but it commences to do a room clean and wanders out from the mothership for a few minutes, strolls around a bit, and then toddles back home and calls it a day. It does not bump into anything and seems to be well aware of its surroundings.
Can anyone suggest what might be the issue and what I should do?

Many thanks
SNOWTM53
Australia
snowtm53

GUIDE: How to update Neato XV Series using Vorwek Updater

Postby djos » October 7th, 2016, 3:29 am

Your batteries sound suspect, Neato's usually do weird things with low battery capacity.
Current Robot's:
Neato BotVac 80 w/ Li-NMC Battery , 2x XV11 w/ Li-NMC Battery
iRobot Roomba 561 w/ NiMh Battery, Scooba 380 w/ Li-NMC Battery

Previous Robots:
iRobot Roomba 562PE w/ Aerovac Bin & Sealed-bearing CHM
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics