Botvac Connected Completely Ignores Boundary Markers

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Botvac Connected Completely Ignores Boundary Markers

Postby HateHousework » February 11th, 2016, 11:29 pm

Wow...what a disappointment. I've had a Roomba 880 for a couple of years and found their "lighthouse" concept a bit of pain. I was thrilled by the idea that I could, with my Botvac Connected, lay down simple boundary markers to make sure it didn't get stuck on the pedestal bases of things like desks, lamps or fans. To my extreme dismay and annoyance the very first time I tried using the Botvac markers the Botvac drove right over them as if they weren't there. What gives. How does Neato get away with peddling this selling point that not only doesn't work properly but, doesn't work at all???? :x
HateHousework

Re: Botvac Connected Completely Ignores Boundary Markers

Postby vic7767 » February 12th, 2016, 12:04 am

A picture of how you laid down the magnetic strips will be very helpful in determining what is going on with your Botvac.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby HateHousework » February 12th, 2016, 12:34 am

Here it is. Also I noticed in the robot "info" that the "build" is 175. Does that mean I got a first production run model? I just bought it on amazon a month ago.
Attachments
IMG_0123.jpg
HateHousework

Postby glnc222 » February 12th, 2016, 4:56 am

Unusual use of the mag strips. They are not usually used against obstacles which should not be climbed, more for areas which should not be entered. They can protect areas with electrical cords, for example, or block doorways or spaces under furniture. The sensors for the mag strips are behind the front edge of the robot. I cannot be sure, but it is possible that the front of the robot is lifted moving onto the chair leg raising the sensor too far away from the strip. They have to be very close to the bottom of the robot to work.
Also there are two sensors at the sides of the front, and if the robot approached the chair leg in the center, they would not sense the strips.

Is there some problem with the robot getting stuck on that leg? This is an example of a problem with a few types of furniture I could only address by adding material to lower the bottom edge of the bumper, so it would engage on such low obstacles ("bumper lowering mod" thread). Another way to do it is to either raise the chair leg with something underneath, if the addition needed is small, or put something on top of it to engage the bumper. Manually positioning the robot against the obstacle will show what is needed.
As I do not know the issues I could be way off base. Just being thorough.

The mag strips can be tested by placing a strip in the path of a Spot Clean. Neato turns to the right when starting Spot Clean.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » February 12th, 2016, 8:02 am

I think the strips are too close to the leg and possibly too short. As suggested put a longer strip in a doorway or something and see if the Neato senses it. I use a strip while cleaning with a Neato and as I recall the front of the Neato goes over the strip before sensing it. That may be the issue with the leg as ginc222 mentioned, the robot may be climbing up.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby JEfromCanada » February 12th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Documentation states the strip should be about 2 inches before the area that you want to protect.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby ztshopping » March 26th, 2018, 5:49 pm

with the Neato version strip the magnetic field is at the center of the strip so neato needs to move over to that point to detect it, so you need to leave at least two inches space.

Try this one, this one is flat and the magnetic field is more even, Neato will detect once it is over its edge and return.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015F83ZJ4/re ... ZJ45417322

It worked well for my XV-11
ztshopping

Return to Neato Robotics