POLL: How long has YOUR Neato lasted?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

How long did your FIRST Neato last before ANY repair was needed?

It was defective straight out of the box
5%
It failed within the first month
5%
It failed within the first 6 months
24%
It failed within the first 12 months
12%
It lasted between 1 and 2 years before a fault occurred
12%
It lasted between 2 and 3 years before a fault occurred
12%
It's lasted 3 years and is still working perfectly
15%
My Neato is less than 3 years old and I haven't had any problems
15%

Total votes : 41

POLL: How long has YOUR Neato lasted?

Postby robocleaner » February 12th, 2016, 9:02 am

Neatos suffered a flurry of assorted failures when they were first introduced. Those problems did seem to get resolved over time. Now the Neato Brand has been around for some time, some new, longer term reliability issues seem to be coming to light. I thought it may be interesting to see how reliable Neatos really are...

This Poll applies to any model Neato... if you've bought ANY model of Neato XV or Neato Botvac, select ONE of the above options that applies to the FIRST Neato you bought (not any warranty replacement, since a few contributors here on this forum are on their third, fourth and fifth warranty replacements before they got a "good" one).

So, the question is this:
HOW LONG DID YOUR FIRST NEATO LAST BEFORE IT NEEDED FIXING?

I suppose we should exclude battery replacements IF they occurred AFTER 6 months since that would count as "fair wear and tear" and no company warranties batteries beyond that term.

If you haven't had a failure, check one of the last two boxes. I picked 3 years as 3 years of trouble-free use I think should be a reasonable expectation from a product of this value.

I guess in the interests of fairness, a similar poll should be set-up for Roombas, Samsungs, LG Robokings, Karcher as well?
Last edited by robocleaner on February 13th, 2016, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x Karcher RC3000 (2005 & 2012), Trilobite ZA1 (2005), Navibot 8855 (2010)
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Re: POLL: How long has YOUR Neato lasted?

Postby Fillimerica » February 12th, 2016, 10:44 am

Botvac BV85. Side brush (belt) broke within 6-months. Self repaired due to Neato's horrible warranty procedure.
Same unit lasted to the 7 month mark when the gearing inside the left drive wheel started slipping and the bot was doing doughnuts instead of cleaning. No self repair for that problem.
Thank you BBB, replaced with a brand new D85 a week ago. We'll see if that one lasts.
Fillimerica

Postby mfortuna » February 12th, 2016, 8:10 pm

I can't vote because my Neato has not had a defect (battery excluded) but is less than 3 years old.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby robocleaner » February 13th, 2016, 9:07 am

Oops... good point Mike. I'll try editing the poll to add a new field for "delighted" Neato owners and see what happens...

Oh heck... that lost all the votes!
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby 595 » February 14th, 2016, 5:13 am

Edit my vote. Should of been lasted 3 years and still working perfectly (XV11)

Postby Toodle » February 14th, 2016, 12:45 pm

My XV21 failed within 6 months. The lidar failed. I received a refurbished unit from Neato that looked like it had led a rough life. It managed to outlast the warranty period but has now failed too. When the XV21 ran, it cleaned well. We have a fairly small home, cleaning 4 times a week. I wish it lasted longer.
Toodle

Postby jdong » February 15th, 2016, 1:02 pm

My BotVac65 eventually died a quiet death about a year and 2 months after I purchased it :(.

Dug it out of a closet after months of not using it, and was setting up a test course, and realized it was acting lost and eventually said PLEASE CLEAR MY PATH. Did not see any visible debris in the turret.

Thank you Costco for taking it back. The manufacturer was not very sympathetic because the warranty had just run out.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby JEfromCanada » February 15th, 2016, 1:27 pm

jdong wrote:Dug it out of a closet after months of not using it

Costco was good to take it back. But after that much time in the closet, the battery would have been under powered, leading to errors on top of what might already have been there.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby holmes4 » February 15th, 2016, 10:03 pm

I voted ">3 years and no problems", but I then realized that wasn't true. The first XV-11 I bought, soon after introduction, was defective right away. Neato replaced it and that one has been fine ever since (other than battery replacement.)
Steve
holmes4
Robot Addict

Postby frenchie » February 16th, 2016, 9:11 am

First one didn't last long. I've had the second one since then (2 years), no issues, runs 3 times a week. The only time it ever gets stuck is if it tries to swallow something it shouldn't (socks are the main culprits).
frenchie

Postby justflie » February 18th, 2016, 11:31 pm

XV-11 owner here. She's been going strong since October of the first year of availability so i guess around three years ago. I've replaced the battery twice, but that's all for non-routine maintenance. I thought she bit the dust after having a run-in with Playdough (brush stuck message) but I brought it back to life but shutting down and starting up. I was kind of hoping to have an excuse to buy a D85. That damn 20% BBB coupon is staring at me!
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby JEfromCanada » February 19th, 2016, 12:45 am

The poll, which I'm sure was created to measure build quality, is a bit biased. Early adopters who opt for a purchase of a new model are more likely to be confronted with "new product" issues. I had good results with my initial purchase because I didn't jump on the Neato bandwagon until the XV-11 was a proven product with initial bugs shaken out. Similarly, I've had good luck so far with my Botvac, having not bought it until after the D series was released. I'd be curious to know where those robots that had initial quality problems were purchased. Could they have come from merchants who bought massive quantities of early stock and had them in the warehouse for a long period of time?

It would be useful to know how many times a particular model needed to be returned before a *GOOD* unit was received - and to have that poll broken down by model/generation (i.e. XV, Signature, Botvac, D-series, Connected).
Current robots:
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby Wing Nut » February 19th, 2016, 5:18 am

JEfromCanada wrote:The poll, which I'm sure was created to measure build quality, is a bit biased. Early adopters who opt for a purchase of a new model are more likely to be confronted with "new product" issues.

Indeed, I can't recall when my first XV-11 had a suspension spring failure - was it 1, 2 or 3 years into ownership? So I'm not about to skew the vote by taking a guess. I have 2 XV-11s now - both are 5+ years old and still going strong. I've replaced at least one capacitor and added a tiny bit of packing to resolve a 'Bin' error.

I rescued my 2nd XV after it had multiple charging issues caused mainly by a failure to update the firmware to the 'wriggle' version - again, not something I'd enter in a reliability poll.
#1 Neato XV-11 SW 2.0 Board Rev 113 / 3500mAh battery pack installed May 2013 / Pet & Allergy pack installed Sept 2013. In July 2014, received and repaired a faulty #2 Neato XV-11, running Lithium Power 4400mAh battery since July 2015
Wing Nut
Robot Addict

Postby robocleaner » February 20th, 2016, 4:26 am

The poll isn’t intended to be a detailed scientific study... just give a general, composite indication of longevity based on real user experiences.

With the benefit of hindsight, different/more options might have offered a fuller picture.
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby ivanilia2 » February 21st, 2016, 3:09 pm

I've had my NEATO connected for four months now and it's still going strong. It has to clean 3 floors 3 times a week. So almost every day it's up and running. Very happy with the cleaning result sofar. Sometimes it gets lost in "our difficult to map" house, but overall does a pretty good job.
ivanilia2

Postby marlowefamily » July 24th, 2016, 10:39 pm

Mine always die roughly around 3 years, sometimes a few months before and othertimes a few months after.
marlowefamily

Postby Frueds » July 26th, 2016, 1:50 am

Hiya all nice people here.

Our Neato Botvac Connected is/was a marble and a diamond. After just 2 weeks of letting it clean our moderate home of say 1200 square feet it started behaving odd and becoming lazy. We treated him nice. We cleaned him with our Miele C3 vacuum twice a week. What he does, He finishes a job big or small, and we want him to clean another job or again all he asks for is to be fed more charge. He refuses to work more even when he has 2 and 3 bars on the battery. After a few days of the first problem he came up with a new trick, after 5 minutes vacuuming with a clean diaper..I mean clean dust bin he asks to empty his dustbin while he keeps moving and cleaning he keeps displaying that the dust bin should be cleaned. We pause him, we see almost NO dirt yet in there, but he insists to be cleaned.
Another issue is that when he is latched on to the base while the base is feeding him he is blinking his 2 lights but not together, one goes On while the other goes Off, and vs vers., they arent blinking 2gether On and Off. Weird!

We called Neato several times while trying to do all kinds of reset to factory setting.. nothing worked. I asked "How about tell me to disconnect the main battery AND the small battery somewhere hidden in there?"..
They said: If you do that then warranty is void.

All what I have seen so far out of all robot vacuum cleaners is that this is suppose to be the most practical as straight forward robot vacuum cleaner, but now its behaving like a spoiled brat!...

Please excuse my silly sense of humor.

Cheers,
Frued
Last edited by Frueds on July 26th, 2016, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frueds

Postby JEfromCanada » July 26th, 2016, 4:54 am

Frueds wrote:We pause him, we see almost new dirt yet in there, but he insists to be cleaned.

My Neato (not a Connected, but rather a Botvac 80) used to bug me about emptying the bin. I think it does this after a certain number of jobs. Anyway, I found there was a setting in the menu that stops these annoying alerts. I've been much happier since disabling this warning.
Current robots:
Roomba 560 (retired)
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby kalidiso » July 27th, 2016, 11:17 am

6 mths and not charging anymore.. is it the base or the robot?? How do i tell?
kalidiso

Postby vic7767 » July 27th, 2016, 11:45 am

First, what model robot are you having this issue with ? Second, do you have a multi-meter that you can use to measure output voltage of the power supply, as well as stored battery voltage ? Third, download the free program NeatoControl , found within this forum that can be used to test various functions within your robot.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Next

Return to Neato Robotics