Neato Connected loosing wifi

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Neato Connected loosing wifi

Postby ericnelson » December 2nd, 2017, 2:24 pm

It's still happening to me in December 2017.

This doesn't say a lot for the Neato firmware folks.
ericnelson

Postby jwmaas » January 30th, 2018, 4:11 pm

It is now 30 jan 2018 and this losing server connection issue is still present. I have spent an extraordinary amount of time with support to get connected in the first place. Finally that worked for a few minutes. Then need to go through this painful process again and again, nor more than 8 hours in total. I have even exchanged the product with the retailer to no avail. New firmware has come out since 2016, but has apparently not solved the issue. Anyone know a fix that really works, rather than the standard stuff that Neato Support provides? Because their lab environment really does not replicate in a consumer home!

I finally managed to solve this, see my next post.

Shame on Neato producing such a great product, but employing very finicky wifi. That hardware is a really bad choice.
Last edited by jwmaas on January 31st, 2018, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwmaas

Re: Neato Connected losing wifi - solved

Postby jwmaas » January 31st, 2018, 5:14 pm

Have spent many many hours solving the server disconnection issue, including a few sessions with Neato support, which were only partly helpful. Here is the summary of my solution, not 100% sure what is the key element:
- Installed a separate 2.4 GHz only Access Point. I used the TP-Link nano: TL-WR802N, about €20,- Installed it about 2 meters from the Neato Botvac Connected
- Ensure operating mode is Access Point, which IP address reservation by main router to ensure fixed IP address of AP
- Wireless Name (SSID): used only letters and numbers, no other symbols (no spaces, dashes, underscores)
- Used Wifi channel 1 (support says channels 1, 6 and 11 work equally well)
- Wifi mode 11b/g/n mixed
- Channel width: 20 MHz
- Wireless broadcast: enables
- SSID broadcast: disabled
- Wireless security: version WPA2-PSK
- Wireless encryption: AES
- Password: enabled
- DHCP: disabled (IP addresses given out by main router)
My connection is now stable. I have hidden the SSID to ensure there is no other traffic on the AP.
jwmaas

Postby fmulders » February 3rd, 2018, 1:51 pm

Just a simple advice to everyone,...
Do not forget to check on your router if the UPnP is set to enable! I have a strong feeling Neato is using that to communicate with their servers. (You should find it somewhere on the WAN settings)

I had the same disconnecting issue with my Anova cooking device and this solved it.
My D3 connected has no disconnecting issues...

Regards,
Frank
fmulders

Postby jwmaas » February 3rd, 2018, 1:58 pm

The drawback of this solution is that some application require UPnP to be off. So that is not a solution that is universally applicable.
jwmaas

Postby JEfromCanada » February 3rd, 2018, 5:19 pm

fmulders wrote:Just a simple advice to everyone,...
Do not forget to check on your router if the UPnP is set to enable! I have a strong feeling Neato is using that to communicate with their servers.

My ISP will automatically disconnect anyone who uses this setting. It's a security risk.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » February 3rd, 2018, 5:59 pm

A difficulty connecting Samsung bots turned out to involve the system not liking passwords longer than 19 characters and not liking Y and Z letters, besides special characters. Just shows there are odd limitations in some of these WiFi systems and remote servers.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby tuomi » February 4th, 2018, 6:29 am

In contrast to the lengthy answer a little bit earlier, what I did was set a manually assigned IP, still served over DHCP for my D5 and haven't had an issue since.
tuomi

Postby Noge » September 19th, 2018, 8:51 am

My d7 loses connection constantly.

when it does, the blue wifi led starts to flash softly which according to the manual means it's in pairing mode...?)

plus the weird thing is that sometimes when it loses the connection, the router states its still connected.

I have to randomly restart the router and/or robot (several times) until they connect again. ( I have not figured out a definite procedure)

have assigned a fixed ip and forwarded ports.. doesn't help. :?

EDIT: Forgot to mention; it seems that accessing the robot with the app also often leads to the wifi disconnecting.
Noge

Postby RyoSaeba » October 19th, 2018, 5:26 am

Noge wrote:My d7 loses connection constantly.

when it does, the blue wifi led starts to flash softly which according to the manual means it's in pairing mode...?)

plus the weird thing is that sometimes when it loses the connection, the router states its still connected.

The router states its still connected because DHCP has a timeout defined by your routers settings in value of seconds. It can be set from x mins to a week for example. Your router believes that your device is still connected until it reaches HALF of the DHCP time out settings. For example, if you set DHCP to ten minutes, then at 5 mins it will attempt to check if your device is still within range. If it is, it will continue to lease out that IP address for another ten mins. If not, it will add that IP address back to the (DHCP) pool and make it assignable to the next device that attempts to request an IP address.
RyoSaeba

Postby Miles267 » October 19th, 2018, 7:32 am

Has anyone noticed whether Neato D7 works with band steering? I know it won’t connect with fast roaming 802.11r enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Miles267

Postby Noge » October 23rd, 2018, 5:47 am

had my provider send me a new box and now all ok.
(though i think the problems with it had actually to do with the power cord,
which somehow did not provide a constant current)
Noge

Previous

Return to Neato Robotics