Neato Connected loosing wifi

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato Connected loosing wifi

Postby jorgeli » February 14th, 2016, 2:26 pm

Hi
I am wondering if someone has the same problem that Neato conncected loosing wifi conection ?
It work fine for a few days and then i must deacivate wifi on the robot and activate again for work.

Have write to Neato support and they just say that no software update is avalible yet
jorgeli

Re: Neato Connected loosing wifi

Postby vic7767 » February 15th, 2016, 1:12 am

What router are you running, is there a lot of WiFi use in your area ? Other possible interference, how close is the Neato to the WiFi signal?
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby jorgeli » February 15th, 2016, 8:07 am

Before i have a Dovado pro .
And now i have a Asus rt-ac87u But it is the same issue.

No problem with the signal but after 2 days the connection drop.

So i think it is something with the Neato Connected.
JUst wondering if someone have the same
jorgeli

Postby JEfromCanada » February 15th, 2016, 1:38 pm

I don't have a Neato Connected, so I can't speak directly to that issue. But, some of my clients have similar problems with wireless printers, etc. If your Neato thinks its IP address is different from that currently in the Router's memory, the Neato may not be able to communicate with the router. The solution for these kinds of problems is to use a fixed IP address. Once you've added the Neato to your wifi network, use the router's DHCP Reserve Address capability to ensure your Neato is always assigned the same IP address, even after a router or Neato reboot.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby tncheesehead » February 16th, 2016, 9:25 am

I've experienced the same issues with my Botvac Connected purchased 1/22/16. I have a Triband router and have no problems with other devices on my network. The vac stays connected to the router according to the flashing wireless strength indicator but looses connection to Neato servers. Just had to reset connection again this morning which involves resetting wireless on the vac, shutting down the vac, removing device from app, restarting vac, repeating wireless setup. Have had to do this at least eight times since owning.
tncheesehead

Postby jorgeli » February 18th, 2016, 2:19 am

I see that it is the same for me .
It is not the conection to the router that is the problem , it is to Neatos server. :?

So it must be a firmware problem to reconect to the server ?
jorgeli

Postby glnc222 » February 20th, 2016, 3:09 am

General WiFi Complications

The Neato instructions do not mention details of WiFi requirements for devices, which can affect printers as well as robots. While the following is for Samsung I suspect these may apply to all the WiFi equipped robots including Neato and Roomba. It seems that not all WiFi networks are the same, and there can be unusual technical details especially in some commercial spaces.

This product supports only DHCP(Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). Please check if the DHCP server option function of a wireless router is activated. The supported types of authorization/encryption of the wireless router are WEP-OPEN, WPA-PSK/TKIP and WPA2-PSK/AES 801.11n. – WPA2-PSK/AES is recommended to be used. The quality of connection of the wireless network may be influenced by the surrounding wireless environment. When your Internet service provider has permanently registered an MAC address (a unique identification number) of your PC or modem, your POWERbot may be unavailable to be connected to the Internet. Ask your Internet service provider about the procedure to connect an apparatus other than a PC to the Internet. If your internet service provider requires your ID or password to connect to the internet, your POWERbot may not be able to connect to the internet. In this case, you must enter your ID or password when connecting to the internet. The connection to the Internet may be impossible because of issues of firewall. Ask your Internet service provider for resolving the issue. Some wireless routers may convey an abnormal Domain Name Server (DNS) address even if the Internet is not connected. In this case, inquire the provider of the pertinent wireless router and your Internet service provider

It has also been pointed out in other posts that an internet provider may vary the IP address assigned to a networked device, and the robot or other device may lose connection after being online a long time.
A fixed IP address option was mentioned.
i have had this problem with PC connections to the internet but the provider seems to have adjusted someway or other, along with the Windows OS. There was some option like this in a DSL modem but don't know the present cable modem. At a hotel I found that WiFi connections over the building network were reset every twelve or 24 hours and you had to log in again, as a feature they wanted. They used a contracting company managing the routers in the entire chain of hotels from a central location with a user support staff, to which the hotel referred guests.

There are probably articles galore on the web on connecting devices like printers to WiFi, and probably apply to robots.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby jorgeli » March 13th, 2016, 3:24 am

The problem is that it is loosing connection to Neato server.
Tha bar indicator is just blinking and need to restart Neatos wifi to be connected again to server.

There must be a firmware problem and easy to fix in next update?
jorgeli

Postby Goliath2000 » April 9th, 2016, 2:03 pm

Oh finally! I found someone with same issue that I have!
Have you found any solution for this? Because this is also happening me all the time! I'm definitely sure that my WIFI is good here! I have plenty of mobile devices and non of them are acting wired or loosing internet connection. This must be a Firmware issue that they have!
Goliath2000

Postby neatouser » May 1st, 2016, 8:42 am

Guys, of course Neato screwed it up and doesn't want to fix it promptly. I suggest you start complaining about the same to the following email: connectedsupport@neatorobotics.com

I have reported them this issue in November for the 1st time. They played a couple of ping pong games with me, saying that everything is fine and perhaps a retailer should exchange it for me. I told them it is not about a faulty product, but about faulty firmware which does not re-establish internet connection with Neato servers upon losing its connection with it, unless full reboot is performed.

So we played this ping pong game for a while and I gave up. I have of course did all the troubleshooting, I have even tried two different brand routers - nothing helped. By the end of February I found this thread, so I sent a reminder to these *intelligent* guys to check this thread that I am not the only one who is experiencing the same problems with their super expensive EUR 750 robot, of which major selling feature - WiFi connectivity is not working reliably. Again a typical ping pong game with these *intelligent guys, like there would be nothing wrong and these reports would be coming from the moon:

"There is not a software update for the Botvac Connected in regards to connectivity as we do not have any trending errors that need to be addressed at this time.

As you are still having difficulties staying connected after all this time, I will, however, send your ticket to my team for reviewing to see what the best next step is. It can take 24-48 hours for them to respond. When I hear back from them, I will get back in touch with you."

Of course, if they test the robot for 5mins to determine the problem, it is not possible to notice any trending errors, because sometimes it can even work 5 days without connectivity issues.

At least there was some progress, because next day (28th of Feb) I got email with ticket ID regarding this case and the following answer:

"I have heard back from my team and they have determined that they will go ahead and release a software update in regards to the connectivity. This will be released in the next couple months.

I hope I was able to fully address your concerns today."

So at least they acknowledged they did screw up and there is indeed something that needs to be fixed about this issue, that they were not willing to notice for months. However what is unacceptable is the timeframe provided of "couple of months". They should be fixing this asap. The major selling point of this robot is broken. We are almost six months later since I first reported to them this issue and 2 months after their official acknowledgment of screwing up, but there is no FW update on this yet. I wanted to buy another piece of it, but I will surely rethink my intentions with company that does not care about fixing their products firmware promptly. So I suggest you guys LET THEM KNOW about this.
neatouser

Postby vic7767 » May 1st, 2016, 10:23 am

Thanks for the detailed post neatouser This should help get the word out to Botvac Connected users to be on the lookout for a firmware flash soon.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby jorgeli » May 2nd, 2016, 12:40 am

Thanks for the information :D
I have to contact Neato support many times about this issue and hope it will be fixed now.

But someone that knows how the update will be done?
Before you have have a link in aupport area but not now.

Or will it work directley with the wifi connection to the robot?

Regard Jörgen
jorgeli

Postby jorgeli » May 20th, 2016, 3:43 am

Well Have contact NEato Support again about loosing conection to the Neato Server sometime.
And now the y say that they don´t have any firmware upgrade in the near future :-(
jorgeli

Postby Kjturner » June 6th, 2016, 7:02 am

Just registered on this site to state that I'm also having constant issues with my botvac connected being able to connect to the wireless but not their servers. It's extremely frustrating.
Kjturner

Postby Kjturner » June 6th, 2016, 7:05 am

Im going to post a review on Amazon stating this issue and I suggest everyone do the same. It's the only way Neato will have some urgency for a firmware update.
Kjturner

Postby VoronServer » June 6th, 2016, 8:53 am

I have multiple Wi-Fi access points at home as result of the evaluation of wireless performance.
2x 2.4Ghz and 1x5Ghz. This is because previously with ~15 devices online it was a problem to keep all of them connected especially if one of them use a lot of bandwidth. Now I separated all IoT devices to the dedicated IoT network with separated SSID and frequency (typically these devices don't use a lot of traffic, thus I locked network to 54Mbs). And nowadays devices more stable keeping connection alive. Precisely, yes, Neato not alone having connectivity issues. Same with MCS-300 Wi-Fi thermostats and printer - they loose connection and struggling to recover it by themselves (power cycle is needed). Now it happens rarely and recovery (reconnection) more probable.
VoronServer

Postby Koios » June 16th, 2016, 11:16 am

Yes also experiencing this issue. I've tried contacting Neato support and they are blaming my Wi-Fi. Yet all my home devices are connected fine.

I've tried different channel and no success. Has anyone had any luck with this or is it a send back to Neato?
Koios

Postby VoronServer » June 16th, 2016, 12:17 pm

What devices you have at home? My experience is that Android/WP/Windows devices connection is quite stable. When it comes to embedded OS based devices - it is less reliable. It could be a driver quality issue, indeed. Thus Neato have to look at it.
VoronServer

Postby jorgeli » June 16th, 2016, 1:54 pm

Yes this is a software failure.
The problem is not the wifi at home .
The problem is that the neato not reconect to the Neato server if it is lost .

Don´t now why Neato support not can admit this problem
jorgeli

Postby talltony » July 4th, 2016, 11:13 am

I have had exactly the same issue. Robot will only remain connected to Neato Server for approx 1 day before dropping off.

Very disappointing.
talltony

Next

Return to Neato Robotics