Neato Connected loosing wifi

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Neato Connected loosing wifi

Postby Rickard_R » September 19th, 2016, 6:20 pm

I have exactly the same problem. It seems like Neato is ditching their customers on this issue and I really think we should let other buyers know about this.

Currently there is no reason to pay extra for the Connected version of the Neato Botvac when it loses connecting after a few days, hence I recommend buyers of vacuum robots to buy Samsung or Romba WiFi versions.

It's sad to say this since Neato's connected would be the best, but only IF they would fix this issue.
Rickard_R

Postby TechGuy » September 19th, 2016, 6:35 pm

Companies usually ignore the issues with their product until it is absolutely necessary before admitting the problem.

Remember Apple 4 signal issue. At the beginning, Apple ignore the issue and later Apple gave iPhone 4 owner a new bumper case insulate the antenna from user's hand.

Give it time. Neato will fix it when more owners complain.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
For Sale: Black CHM 2 Ball Bearings set
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby jorgeli » September 22nd, 2016, 2:21 pm

Get answer today fron Neato Support:

A. M. Larsen (Neato Robotics)
Sep 21, 12:13 UTC

Hi Jorgen

We are working on a new software upgrade for the Connected model.
Both to address the conectivity issues and to implement the new features that are available on the new D3 and D5 models.

I have no time frame for this update, but it is being worked on.

Kindly

A. M. Larsen
Neato Robotics Customer Care
jorgeli

Postby McJohn » September 23rd, 2016, 8:07 am

Exact problem here.
After 24 hours, the Botvac Connected has no wifi connection anymore.
All our other different wifi devices are working perfectly except this Neato Botvac :x
Since we buy this one in April, we have spent hours and hours on this problem. We received another Botvac directly from Neato in June, but this one has exactly the same problem.
So,finally Neato offered us to send the Botvac back to them and they want to return our money but that's not the solution to solve this problem. We installed another router, changed the DHCP lease settings, changed from Apple Airport (multi band) to another router (and back again) nothing helped.
The big question is; when the Botvac is switched manually off and on, the wifi connection is working perfectly again!
So, is it so difficult to program this in the Botvac software: if the Botvac loses connection, restart the machine/software.

This problem is known by Neato for 6 months now, why didn't they still have an update?
https://www.neatorobotics.com/software-update/
(download link doesn't work)

Kind regards,
John
The Netherlands
McJohn

Postby glnc222 » September 23rd, 2016, 3:04 pm

There are complaints about the German Vorwerk VR200 WiFi as well I think, on roboter-forum, not a subject I follow. Haven't had a problem with the Samsung Powerbot, though they make smartphones... This reminds me of a major telco internet provider years ago having a problem of time outs in their servers, they eventually fixed. Lot of refinements in the comm tech, so many details. Security features in routers seem to be a problem, people wanting to secure their local networks against outside server access at random. Huge complexity in the more advanced options in routers past the quick setup guide. Don't want the vacuum camera spying on you...
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Tamjam06 » September 29th, 2016, 11:59 pm

Has this been resolved for anyone? I'm having the same issue with a botvac we purchased about 30 days ago. I'm actually an IT expert for a living and this device is frustrating. It's constantly losing its wifi connection.
Tamjam06

Postby joker18 » September 30th, 2016, 1:06 am

I think we have to wait for the SW update.
joker18

Postby jorgeli » October 23rd, 2016, 10:31 am

Hi
I think that the software is updated automatic?
Because now my neat o connected not loosing connection anymore.
https://www.neatorobotics.com/my-neato/ ... pdate-bvc/
jorgeli

Postby joker18 » October 25th, 2016, 4:18 am

It would be really strange for it to update on his own. I never saw a device update without approval from user.
I see on mine SW version 2.0 I don't know if my memory is playing tricks but I remember I had 1.2
joker18

Postby JEfromCanada » October 25th, 2016, 11:29 am

joker18 wrote:It would be really strange for it to update on his own. I never saw a device update without approval from user.
I see on mine SW version 2.0 I don't know if my memory is playing tricks but I remember I had 1.2

Windows 10 Home Edition updates on its own. Tesla's AutoPilot updates on its own. I'm wondering whether Neato has chosen to force updates (for potential safety issues due to this being a Lithium Ion powered device)?

The update referred to here: https://www.neatorobotics.com/my-neato/ ... pdate-bvc/ doesn't have a download link, making me believe the update is automatic.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » October 25th, 2016, 11:43 am

Samsung updates are also automatic and the Roomba seems to be so from the descriptions posted. The smartphone app only updates when run. I suspect it is considered more convenient for appliances which have single function software compared to general purpose computers with many programs to update and complicated usage. The Dyson style has not been posted but the user guides, manuals may mention the updating style. There is also the aspect of usage where the robot is run with scheduling in a way users never open the app.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Nijntje_Piep » November 8th, 2016, 6:17 am

Hi fellow Bot Vac Connected users.
The following response is the work of a month of mailing with Neato's costumer service. I want to say that costumer service was good :thumbup: but the real solution has to come from the development.

The problem that I experience with my Bot Vac Connected is that it will lose its connection to the Neato servers and wont reconnect by itself. This is an important distinction between losing Wi-Fi, because this means its problem is not on the users end. A temporary "solution" is to remove the Wi-Fi connection, reset the robot (hold de home button 30sec) and reconfigure it to the Wi-Fi. A permanent solution is promised in the last mail from the costumer service in the form of an update. I hope this helps users with the same problems. And in the mean time I would like to emphasise that its important that we all (individually) report this problem to connectedsupport@neatorobotics.com. Lets make sure Neato sees the importance to solve the ironic problem of the not connected Bot Vac connected...

Hi *****,
I didn't receive an official release date, but the update will be out when Neato will release their new models D3/D5 Connected.
As soon as they will be release the new Connected models an update will be available.
Regards,
Neato Robotics Customer Care
Nijntje_Piep

Postby Redski » December 27th, 2016, 5:21 pm

Has anyone got a fix for this yet ?

It is SOOOOOO annoying !

Such a great cleaner but let down by this function not working - but it's the reason I bought this connected model !
Redski

Postby joker18 » December 29th, 2016, 3:39 am

There is a firmware update to address this issue
https://www.neatorobotics.com/my-neato/ ... ed-robots/

Before the update I noticed aother thing; that my robot wifi was only acting up after I connected him to the PC.
A few restarts and the wifi connection was never lost for more than a month.
joker18

Postby tuomi » February 6th, 2017, 11:55 am

Anyone else having the issue of D5 also losing WiFi after some days?

Been in contact with support with the offer of troubleshooting this issue more closely but have just got answers similar to "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

Working as a software developer and being quite well-versed in systems far more complex than router settings the above experience is just bewildering / frustrating.

Edit 2017-02-20:
Two weeks running and no disconnects. :)

Edit 2017-02-22:
Spoke too soon, confirmed in my router log that the last DHCP request from the bot was sent Feb 20 09:56:47 – after that nothing. Further noticed that it most often is sending its DHCP-requests every 37800 secs which is every 10,5h.. weird interval if you ask me..
tuomi

Postby xardy » May 10th, 2017, 5:43 am

Yeah, I also have the D5 and have been experiencing it loosing wifi after some days. I reset the robot every time to get the connection back.
xardy

Postby marcin922 » May 14th, 2017, 9:42 am

Hi All,
I have the same issue with this D5 robot.
From my opinon it is a issue with the WiFi module that is in this equipment.
I have a microtik router it gives a lot of info.
After connection my router closes connection with Robot. As an explanation it says that it is loosing to much packets. So it looks that it is an issue with the wifi range. I moved the d5 close to the router and it started working after some time ( until I moved it again).
When it lost the connection it retries to connect again in a few minuttes.
I think it should have at last 60 dB of signal strength.
The connection have a limited speed 1 Mb so it is an issue.
Marcin
marcin922

Postby saba11 » May 14th, 2017, 12:04 pm

I believe it's a common Neato problem. Mine had the same issue and had to return it.
saba11

Postby Lightbulb » July 23rd, 2017, 1:59 pm

Mine is doing the same thing. I'm really happy with this little thing other than the connection issue. Wish it would tell you when the bin is full, but I guess they have to have something to sell you on paying more for the higher end ones.
Lightbulb

Postby petrolhead » August 2nd, 2017, 11:29 pm

Got info from support, and it got little better (havent tried it for long)

Wifi 2.4Ghz only, and can only connect to channel 1,6 or 11.

DHCP port (443 and 80) open.

WPA or WPA2 encryption only.

Hope you find this information helpful.

(I have a D3)

/P
petrolhead

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics