Wheel stuck message, but doesn't seem to be caused by wheel

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Wheel stuck message, but doesn't seem to be caused by wheel

Postby Nascent » February 15th, 2016, 7:25 pm

I got a refurb XV-12 about 8 months ago. It worked fine for a while but for the last couple months when I start it it'll just turn right and pop up a "left wheel stuck" message. Neither wheel seems harder to spin than the other. Also it will still work once in a while, but very rarely. When it does work it seems perfectly fine. I recently bought a replacement motor on ebay and swapped it in for the left motor. Same exact result. I took the removed motor and swapped it in for the right one. Still the same thing, turns right and "left wheel stuck."

So now it looks like the problem isn't the motors at all. Could it be caused by the main board? Faulty wiring maybe? Has anybody seen a similar problem? I'm tempted to just get rid of the piece of junk and go with a decent brand.
Nascent

Re: Wheel stuck message, but doesn't seem to be caused by wh

Postby vic7767 » February 15th, 2016, 7:40 pm

It may be a fault on the main board that monitors the magnetic sensor wheel revolution count.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby TechGuy » February 15th, 2016, 7:44 pm

Is the eBay motor new or used?

Remove the eBay motor from the left wheel and put it in the right wheel. Install the original right wheel motor to the left wheel. Does this make any difference?
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
For Sale: Black CHM 2 Ball Bearings set
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » February 15th, 2016, 7:52 pm

I had wheel stuck messages when Neato stuck from wheels slipping on carpet in tight spots. Nothing wrong with the drive motor. Runs normally when released from trap, so hardware good. The software is a mystery.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Nascent » February 16th, 2016, 7:55 pm

The ebay motor was used. Basically I did end up swapping the "stuck" motor over to the other wheel and the behavior was exactly the same with the thing turning right. The fact that it thinks the left wheel is stuck yet the left wheel is moving more makes me think that what vic7767 wrote about the wheel revolution count being off is likely. I'm not sure how I can test that short of doing a main board replacement.
Nascent

Postby vic7767 » February 16th, 2016, 8:33 pm

Nascent wrote:I'm not sure how I can test that short of doing a main board replacement.
You have basically proven that the main board is defective. When you replaced the left wheel with another and the trouble remained with the left wheel points to the board. Besides the two leads that control the drive wheel motor there are two other leads that report the rpm count of that wheel. to the main board. Either there is a poor connection where the wired plug from the motor connects to the jack on the main board or there is a failed lead that sends the rpm report to the MCU.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 16th, 2016, 10:22 pm

Over USB it is possible to run the drive motors at a specified speed. A multimeter can read the voltage, frequency, and duty-cycle of the tachometer signal. Readings can be taken at the motor and at the plug onto the system board (inserting thin wires or pins into the top of the connector while attached to the board).
If the readings at both motors are the same at the system board plug then the system board components for the input are defective. If the difference exists only at the motor end of the cable then the motor sensor is defective. The cable can also be analyzed.
Very skilled experts can analyze traces and parts on the system board but it is not made to be serviced at that level. It helps to know how such boards are designed in the first place and all the sorts of components involved. Engineers.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Nascent » February 20th, 2016, 2:06 pm

Okay, that's kind of what I figured. Was just hoping there might be some other easy solution. I have an Arduino and a multimeter, so I will try what you two suggested and see if I can find an issue somewhere other than the mainboard. Thanks guys.
Nascent

Postby glnc222 » April 29th, 2016, 1:32 pm

The software detection of a stuck drive wheel is a complex affair with the details not disclosed, all the computer code. Stopping the wheels can be used by software to detect obstacles below the bumper as the only indication, not an equipment failure. As the bot backs off, the wheels are working again, so no error. Also without a bumper in the rear, stuck wheels can be important for obstacles to backward motion.

"Wheel stuck" can be observed when the robot gets trapped various ways, but the message is not about a mechanical failure as such, just what the programmer selected for such situations. Presumably a wheel needed to move and it could not back off or something. Observing any particular location where the error occurs is needed.

The wheel motion can be tested over USB with the Neato Control Program (other thread) or terminal emulator, turning on the wheel motors. Reproducing a signal failure and error message could be difficult. Swapping the drive wheels seems to be the best way to check. Intermittent problems from bad connections etc. can be difficult to reproduce. Replacing parts until fixed is the practical but expensive way to repair, possible in shops equipped with spare parts.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Medtech » May 2nd, 2016, 1:49 pm

lately board Cruz increasingly give new defects that can not be repaired and understand where they arise. Recently brought Plough Cruz on the description does not work right wheel. At the start of the robot a little twitches and stops with an error, NeatoControl shows the high current consumption of the other wheels, but if the fee inserted into the robot control, everything is working, the robot removes. But customers insert their card into the robot and the robot gives an error wheels, my customers is one of the services that they changed the wheel, put the wheels on the robots serviceable, nothing helps. My suggestion was just to bring a defective robot entirely. On board Cruz have several defects which could not be eliminated, it is necessary to buy a robot with the board Binky, and leave it for parts.
NeatoControl inadequately works very often with fees Cruz, very often switched off or not all parameters are equally reproduced.
Thank you GOOGLE translator for the freedom of communication.
Medtech
Robot Addict

Return to Neato Robotics