BotVac dust bin wrap mod + close up Ultra Performance Filter

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

BotVac dust bin wrap mod + close up Ultra Performance Filter

Postby Eisenheim » February 19th, 2016, 12:10 pm

Hi everyone,

Just a quick post to show my mod to the BotVac's dust bin... I've found the shiny plastic on the dust bin gets scratched and worn incredibly easy (not sure why Neato used that plastic for the dust bun top while they use matte everywhere else!!), so I made a cut out from carbon fibre wrap used for car modding and stuck it on and it seems to be staying put and working well so far. :)

Also below are some close ups of the new Ultra Performance Filters as I received a pack recently and will be giving them a try over the coming year. The white mesh seems to be made from plastic, btw...

temp1.jpg

temp2.jpg

temp3.jpg

And the new filter...

temp4.jpg

temp6.jpg

temp7.jpg

temp8.jpg

Will the Ultra Performance Filters be easy to vacuum clean I wonder?
Eisenheim

Re: BotVac dust bin wrap mod + close up Ultra Performance Fi

Postby vic7767 » February 19th, 2016, 12:57 pm

Eisenheim wrote:Will the Ultra Performance Filters be easy to vacuum clean I wonder?

I've found that larger debris works into and just under the mesh cover over the filter and becomes very difficult to remove even with an air compressor.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Eisenheim » February 19th, 2016, 1:07 pm

Will be interesting to see, vic7767... has Neato explained why they can't just come up with a washable filter or is the material too dense to get good vacuum power with washable material?
Eisenheim

Postby rangerned » February 20th, 2016, 2:43 am

The carbon fiber wrap looks great!
rangerned

Postby Eisenheim » February 21st, 2016, 9:51 am

rangerned wrote:The carbon fiber wrap looks great!

Thanks! Pleased with the result. An A4 size sheet of carbon fiber was perfect for the dust bin. An automotive accessory place on eBay sold it for just £1.39 including postage! There are grids on the back of the sheet so turned dust bin over and traced outline into the sheet and then cut out carefully a couple of mm inside the outline using sharp craft knife with scissors for the rounded corners. Before application, I gave the dust bin top a good clean with lens cleaner. Peeled the carbon fibre backing off and soaked the back of the wrap with screen protector application fluid (can easily make it with distilled water plus few drops of dish detergent). I then applied and lined it up well and then used a rubber squeegee to push the liquid out and it flattened out perfectly. :) It has been fine so far...
Eisenheim

Postby Eisenheim » March 6th, 2016, 12:23 pm

vic7767 wrote:
Eisenheim wrote:Will the Ultra Performance Filters be easy to vacuum clean I wonder?

I've found that larger debris works into and just under the mesh cover over the filter and becomes very difficult to remove even with an air compressor.

After some use, definitely agree about this problem. Have there been many comments since it's the standard filter on the Connected?
Seems like a redesign could make the ultra filter perfect if the plastic mesh was made to be a clip-on or slide on section, allowing it to be removed to vacuum the inner pleats periodically.
Eisenheim

Postby glnc222 » March 6th, 2016, 6:17 pm

It looks like it was made just to save costs by replacing only the filter material while preserving the frame.
The pre-filter addition does not seem to work very well. You could put single ply tissue over theirs for better results.
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15121#p98605
Maybe the mesh they supplied could assist in using furnace filter material instead of their filters as well. http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=119605#p119605
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby shirgal » March 13th, 2016, 4:06 am

Carbon Wrap has awesome look and a scratch resistance :-)

What thickness of carbon fiber sheet did you used?
shirgal
Robot Addict

Postby Tris » July 3rd, 2016, 2:42 pm

I like that wrapping mod, I thought I'd have a go with some iridescent wrap I found on ebay...

It's Green.jpg

Now It's Purple.jpg

It's not perfect but it'll do! :)
Tris
Robot Groupie

Return to Neato Robotics