My quest for a cheap LCD for Neato XV!

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: My quest for a cheap LCD for Neato XV!

Postby Tris » July 28th, 2017, 10:50 am

Well done for finding another source! Looks like they are identical to the EastRising ones I found (they probably ARE EastRising), but cost $19.99 each instead of $5.88!
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby 33bill » December 26th, 2017, 2:37 pm

I have a Neato XV-14 vacuum and like many others have the LCD with no text. With that I was wondering how the new LCD's are holding up with the change out???? I have the Cruz UI Board in mine and was wondering is it the LCD or Capacitors or resistors that go out? Well in advance thanks for all the info looks like a fun project as long as the new LCD are better than Neato's original ones!! :thanks:
33bill

Postby Tris » December 27th, 2017, 8:07 am

Mine is still going strong!

LCD.jpg

It is the LCD itself that fails. The caps and resistor I added to my DIY interface board only replicate the circuit on the PCB to reduce the number of wires.

The replacement LCD I used probably isn't the greatest quality (look at the two corners on the right) but it was so cheap that I don't really care! It was also the only suitable one I could find.

If it does die then swapping it with another will be cheap and easy as the hard work of making the interface board is already done.
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby 33bill » December 27th, 2017, 3:08 pm

Well I ordered this FFC FPC 40 Pin 0.5mm pitch to DIP 40 Pin 2.54mm Converter PCB Board Adapter Test and 2.2"/128x128 COG Graphic LCD Module Display,Parallel+SPI Serial+I2C w/Tutorial from ebay hope I can figure it out from all your post! Thanks!!!
33bill

Postby 33bill » December 29th, 2017, 9:52 am

I have been looking at the data sheet on the ST7541 of the LCD and if I understand this right PS0 and PS2 need to be grounded to be used as a 4 line SPI . then from the picture you posted on first page all other connections to LCD would be connected to same pins( V0 V1 V2 V3 V4 OSC1 VOUT GND & ect) using adapter board.
33bill

Postby Tris » December 30th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Yes, see here for the connections:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19263&start=20#p137718
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby 33bill » December 31st, 2017, 9:29 am

Thanks! While waiting for my parts to show up I thought I would see what I could find out about bad batteries! So I read about putting them in the freezer over nite to revive them and the next day after they warmed up put them back in the Neato let them charge up and now it vacuums the room again! :dance:
33bill

Postby vwg » January 2nd, 2018, 7:00 am

First of all, big THANK YOU for discovering this and guiding us through. Even with neatocontrol and other tools, the lack of "what happenned" immediate information on LCD is very annoying.

I am just before replacing my binky display (with FPC-DIP adapter) in Neato XV, what is not just clear to me is "what is the best way" to safely remove the old LCD from original backlit and the same with the new one (before flipping)?

Any how-to? Hot Gun? Magical fluid? Prayer?

Thanks!

Vit
vwg

Postby Tris » January 2nd, 2018, 3:33 pm

Hi Vit,

I lifted the new LCD from it's backlight using only my finger nails, starting in a corner. The backlight panel is slightly flexible which makes it easier to separate the two. Just be patient and very gentle!

Try to keep the two adhesive strips on the backlight so that the LCD can be stuck straight back down again after flipping it over.

Good luck! :)
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby cborn » January 7th, 2018, 1:01 am

Many thanks to Tris and everyone else involved for all the work you have put into this.
I've just followed along and fixed my old Neato's display, using the FPC40 board. I first brought all the wires across as per DucLeto's drawing, but still had a blank display. I then placed the V1-V4 and Vout capacitors on the transition board instead of using the originals on the Binky board, and it came to life.
The original capacitors meter out as 0.1uF, while the ones on the ERC128128-3 datasheet are shown as 1uF, as Tris used on the transition board, I don't know if that made the difference.
cborn

Postby fluky » January 7th, 2018, 4:31 am

here it is in Ebay -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/eBayISAPI.dll/ ... mwBanner=1

I think it is the same?
Can the coupling included in the kit be sold instead of FPC40?
fluky

Postby 33bill » January 13th, 2018, 10:10 am

:thanks:
Tris wrote:Yes, see here for the connections:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19263&start=20#p137718

Sorry to bother you all again but I would rather be safe than sorry! I have received the parts and have been trying to figure out connections from ST7541 going to Cruz board I was using example Serial 4line Reference example and if I understand it right from your picture
V0 is not used
V1 to 30
V2 to 29
V3 to 28
V4 to 27
OSC1 to 26
VOUT to 25
GND to not sure
VDD to 17
D7 SID to 16
D6 SCLK to15
AO to 6
/RES to 5
CSB to 4
PS2 to 3
PS1 to 2
PS0 to 1
33bill

Postby Tris » January 18th, 2018, 7:51 pm

GND to 21, 22, 23 and 24
VDD to 17, 18, 19 and 20

Everything else should be OK!
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby 33bill » January 19th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Thank you ! Appreciate the help!! :D
33bill

Postby cuper6 » January 25th, 2018, 10:17 am

Tris wrote:I wanted to share my experience and progress, so here goes... :)

Do you have backlight off when robot is off?
I connected new lcd as described. It works well but lcd backlight is never off even if I shutdown the robot manually (Menu -> Support -> Shutdown) :(
cuper6

Postby Tris » January 25th, 2018, 4:17 pm

The backlight should indeed turn off when the robot is off.

Please post a photo of your wiring, you may have connected the backlight to the wrong place.
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby cuper6 » January 26th, 2018, 1:09 am

Tris wrote:The backlight should indeed turn off when the robot is off.
Please post a photo of your wiring, you may have connected the backlight to the wrong place.

Backlight connection looks exactly as on your photo:
IMG_0523.JPG
cuper6

Postby Tris » January 26th, 2018, 10:02 am

I still need to see your work to diagnose the issue, especially the soldering.
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby fmulders » March 25th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Hi there,

First I want to thank you all for this information. I ordered the LCD and converter board and started the repair.
I think it is good to know that I succeeded, but also found some things that can be useful for others.

My soldering was spot on the first try, but than I need to split the new LCD from the backlight to flip it.
Yes I tried the LCD and it was mirrored like expected.
I was able to split the screen from the background, but after flipping it I lost the image!
Finally I found that I removed to much. Not only the white reflective sticker, but also the silver transperant layer.

This layer can be replaced without any problem, but there the fun started.
I found it is polarized, so if you rotate it 90 degrees you get a dark display with light letters.
I thought this looks better because it masks some stripes from the old display being bigger.

Check the result:
Neato.png
Result
fmulders

Postby salexf1 » April 3rd, 2018, 6:36 pm

Hello,
Firstly, thank you for all the time and effort that has gone into this thread - it is rescuing a lot of dead Neatos.

I purchased the bits and finally got around to the tonight. i have used the FPC40 breakout board and 10 wire connection to the Neato, but I have faced a problem.

Similar to the above post -

When I flipped the screen and removed the transreflective cover, the image totally disappeared. Then i restarted the Neato and it came back and was visible, then disappeared and wouldn't return. I then replaced the transreflective screen over the LCD and the image was there all along.

Is this a new version of LCD that requires the transreflective screen, of have I missed a cable that doesn't give the LCD contrast without the transrelfective screen?

Any assistance appreciated.
salexf1

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics