My quest for a cheap LCD for Neato XV!

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: My quest for a cheap LCD for Neato XV!

Postby Tris » May 13th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Thanks! :) I'm hoping this thread will save many XV's from being scrapped due to the availability/reliability/price of original UI boards.

That breakout board looks good, but be aware that the website doesn't specify a contact orientation. Hopefully the connector will have both top and bottom contacts.

It's also worth noting that I offset the FFC connector on my second board by two, so that the bare wire linking those four capacitors to ground wouldn't overhang the end of the board! LCD 31 = PCB 3 (unused), LCD30 = PCB 4, etc.

22 Ground Wire.jpg
Capacitor Ground Wire
22 Ground Wire.jpg (82.63 KiB) Viewed 2887 times

Good luck with your repair! :)
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby fixitjohnny » May 20th, 2016, 8:30 am

Do I get this right, that the instructions apply only to Binky LCD Boards?
I have a Cruz Board (the one with flat cable main board connector) with dead LCD here, that would have to be wired somewhat different, right?
fixitjohnny

Postby Tris » May 20th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Yeah, the wiring will be slightly different as Cruz uses 4-wire SPI for the LCD, not I2C. The easiest way to do it is to wire all of the connections (apart from the unused ones) straight through the adapter board and not replicate any of the circuitry like I did.

I have some pics of the Cruz UI board, I'll try to work out the LCD connections...
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby mfortuna » May 21st, 2016, 7:55 am

The Neato is designed to use I2C. It won't work with a SPI device. The protocols are completely different.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Tris » May 21st, 2016, 9:01 am

Binky uses i2c, Cruz uses SPI. The LCD is capable of both and is configured using pins 1-3.
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby Tris » May 21st, 2016, 2:21 pm

These are the required connections to the LCD on a Cruz UI board...

Cruz LCD Connections.jpg
Cruz LCD Connections
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby c-turtle » July 26th, 2016, 11:56 am

Tris this has been extremely helpful! I have an old Cruz board on my Neato and have lost some of the solder pads similar to the picture posted. I am not an electrical guy so bear with me on the novice question, but are the D0-D5 pins required in SPI? Why have you labeled some pads in yellow and the others in grey?
c-turtle

Postby Tris » July 26th, 2016, 12:36 pm

The pins marked in grey are not required for SPI operation.

Notice that the pads for those pins don't connect to anything!
V0 isn't connected to anything either (and shouldn't be), but it is still a valid pin so I left it yellow.

Hope this helps! :)
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby slaz » August 8th, 2016, 5:16 am

I successfully undertook a screen replacement on my Binky based robot using the info in this thread on the weekend:
DSC04161.JPG

I didn't have any donor PCB's to steal the resistor and capacitors from, so I ended up running several more wires back to the original PCB to avoid any extra components on the breakout board:
DSC04155.JPG

DSC04158.JPG

As the breakout board is a little bit wider I had to remove some additional plastic from the chassis next to the tabs that also need to be broken off:
DSC04163.JPG

Many thanks for documenting all of this Tris, and also to Hipsi for the pointer to that breakout board! :D
slaz

Postby Tris » August 8th, 2016, 1:01 pm

Excellent, thanks for sharing your repair! :)

I find that these cheap displays like the contrast setting in the Support menu turned down as far as it will go.
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby slaz » August 8th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Yeah I hadn't tweaked the contrast yet in the first photo, but you're right that minimum contrast is pretty much spot on.
slaz

Postby Fuzzylogic » September 3rd, 2016, 7:52 am

Tris, Thanks for sharing your work.

I installed the LCD on a Cruz board, but i did not want to peel the polarizer filters of the LCD, so i used a microcontroller to interface directly with the SPI bus, and reprogram the settings so that the picture will be mirrored.

Only two registers needed to be programmed:
0xC8 ; COM normal =0xC0 inverse=0xC8
0xA1 ; SEG normal = 0xA0 inverse =0xA1

The chip i used is a microchip PIC12F1822, sourcecode is here:
http://www.stegen.com/pub/Neato.rar

6 connections on the PIC chip are needed:
1 VCC
2 CSB
3 SDO connects to D7 SID
5 A0
6 SCL
8 GND

IMG_20160830_133714.jpg

IMG_20160830_133654.jpg
Fuzzylogic

Postby glnc222 » September 3rd, 2016, 3:45 pm

Those PIC's only $1. Needs a programmer board under $10 to flash, e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIC-USB-Automatic-Programming-Develop-Microcontroller-Programmer-K150-NEW-/321683946977?hash=item4ae5db7de1:g:GvoAAOSwEK9T2KJR.
Free PC development software such as http://www.opensourcepic.com/IDE.php (Linux)
http://pic-microcontroller.com/download-mplab-ide/ (Windows).
Minimal power consumption this size controller.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby jpccusa » October 10th, 2016, 8:09 pm

slaz wrote:I didn't have any donor PCB's to steal the resistor and capacitors from, so I ended up running several more wires back to the original PCB to avoid any extra components on the breakout board:

For someone with no electronics experience and no donor PCB's either, would you please explain what you did and the extra parts that were required?

Fuzzylogic wrote:Tris, Thanks for sharing your work.

I installed the LCD on a Cruz board, but i did not want to peel the polarizer filters of the LCD, so i used a microcontroller to interface directly with the SPI bus, and reprogram the settings so that the picture will be mirrored.

Only two registers needed to be programmed:
0xC8 ; COM normal =0xC0 inverse=0xC8
0xA1 ; SEG normal = 0xA0 inverse =0xA1

The chip i used is a microchip PIC12F1822, sourcecode is here:
http://www.stegen.com/pub/Neato.rar

6 connections on the PIC chip are needed:
1 VCC
2 CSB
3 SDO connects to D7 SID
5 A0
6 SCL
8 GND

Would this same approach work on the Binky board, and if so, how would you accomplish that (the dumbed down version)?
jpccusa

Postby Fuzzylogic » October 11th, 2016, 4:41 am

@jpccusa

No it will not directly work on a Blinky board, as that uses an I2C bus. The PIC chip is now setup to use SPI to reprogram the LCD registers.
Fuzzylogic

Postby jpccusa » October 11th, 2016, 6:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, FuzzyLogic. Your clever solution will not work for me then. I opened my Neato today and I have a Binky board. I already ordered a new LCD screen based on the link Tris provided early in this thread.

Next, newbie questions:
1) How do I disconnect the old screen? Do I cut the 4 connections at the bottom of the screen?

2) Do I just unstick the yellow tape/cable?
jpccusa

Postby Tris » October 11th, 2016, 6:57 pm

You need to carefully unsolder that ribbon cable - don't just try to pull it off or you'll tear the pads and traces off the PCB.

Starting at one end, apply the iron to the exposed pads on the PCB, to the side of the ribbon. When the solder is fully melted, gently lift the ribbon away, working along pad by pad. Don't worry about damaging the ribbon itself, just concentrate on getting it off without damaging the PCB. Patience is key.

Just snip those four pins, then you can de-solder and remove them from the PCB one by one.

The screen will then only be attached to the PCB with double sided tape; just carefully lift the whole LCD & backlight off together. From a safety point of view, be careful not to break the glass part of the LCD while lifting as glass splinters aren't much fun.
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby jpccusa » October 11th, 2016, 7:03 pm

Great! I will work on unsoldering everything.

I need to order the Adafruit adapter next, correct?
jpccusa

Postby jpccusa » October 11th, 2016, 8:39 pm

Removal of the old screen went okay (I think).

jpccusa

Postby Tris » October 12th, 2016, 5:12 pm

You need to go over the pads with the iron again to remove the solder spikes and make sure that none of the pads are shorted.
Tris
Robot Groupie

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics