Botvac D shows error 4000

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Botvac D shows error 4000

Postby ADenis » June 13th, 2016, 3:49 pm

Hi,
Recently bought Neato Botvac D80 (new). It shows strange behavior:
1) first of all it goes around the room (scans it geometry) - which is fine and looks similar to what I saw with Botvac 80. But it (usually) doesn't clean the center of the room, just continues to move around edges.
2) it started to show 4000 error from time to time even in the middle of the room when no objects are interrupting it's view. I've cleaned lidar sensor (actually, they were clean), tried to spin lidar base (like stated on Neato site for error 4000). Rebooted it by pressing Start 20 sec, and even disconnected battery for 5 minutes to make a full reboot - it didn't help.
3) when it starts to vacuum - when I press home - most of the time it doesn't show "return home" option - is it expected? should it alway show "return home" when it vacuums when it started from the charging station and it was not interrupted?
4) I've connected NeatoControl - have checked sensors, tried to scan room - everything seems to be working fine (it draws room properly with several blind spots which I guess are caused by plastic lidar cover holders. I've tried to invoke GetLifeStatLog but it tells unrecognized command, so I couldn't check errors (is this expected? are there any other alternatives to GetLifeStatLog for Botvac?). Are there any other obvious things to check?
5) Mainboard rev shows 0 (rev is non 0 and shows some hash code)

Unfortunately it's difficult to return it to the seller because I bought it in US but live in Europe.
I appreciate any help.
ADenis

Re: Botvac D shows error 4000

Postby vic7767 » June 13th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Measure the stored voltage of your battery. It should be above 14 volts. You can test the ability of your battery to provide operational current by using the NeatoControl program and start the vacuum motor. Monitor the battery voltage and see how long the voltage remains above 12 volts. If it drops before an hour of running the vacuum motor then the pack may be defective.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby ADenis » June 13th, 2016, 4:48 pm

vic7767 wrote:Measure the stored voltage of your battery. It should be above 14 volts. You can test the ability of your battery to provide operational current by using the NeatoControl program and start the vacuum motor. Monitor the battery voltage and see how long the voltage remains above 12 volts. If it drops before an hour of running the vacuum motor then the pack may be defective.

thanks a lot, but how it could affect Botvac behavior? This error is related to not enough power to feed lidar/motor? It seems like it has problem with either navigation or control algorithm. Also, why it most of the time couldn't see it's charging station, even though it just started to vacuum (undocked)
ADenis

Postby vic7767 » June 13th, 2016, 6:29 pm

Many Neato and Botvac owners have reported strange behavior and operational difficulties that have eventually been resolved by replacing the power source. It seems that some components used in the main board circuits do not work well when operating at the low end of the battery. whether it's voltage or current.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » June 13th, 2016, 10:05 pm

The "help" command over USB lists all the commands, and GetLifeStatLog on XV's is not found on Botvac's. They had changed OS to commercial QNX so a variety of software changes. Maybe it was never useful so just skipped.
There can always be unpublished commands they do not reveal, for internal use only.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby VoronServer » June 14th, 2016, 1:53 am

Exactly! In my case it was too early to LIDAR issue to develop (2 month, motors shouldn't be THAT bad). I got error 3000 with my D85 after BotVac being vacuuming for a while only. Strangely, solution was to return it to the charger. And that started to happen after I left it out discharged for a while (about a week). Then I started to think that for some reason it is struggling to rotate the turret due to the low battery voltage or unusual characteristics change.
VoronServer

Postby glnc222 » June 14th, 2016, 12:22 pm

When off the charger a week was the "Shut Down" menu selection used, or the battery disconnected by the switch?
Neato prevents deep discharge from running, but the slow system drain could damage the battery over long periods, and it may not have an under-voltage protection circuit (more important on lithium batteries).
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby VoronServer » June 14th, 2016, 5:22 pm

I turned it off by using switch and disconnected from the charger. Unluckily, it was dead when I returned.
VoronServer

Postby ADenis » June 14th, 2016, 5:34 pm

vic7767 wrote:Many Neato and Botvac owners have reported strange behavior and operational difficulties that have eventually been resolved by replacing the power source. It seems that some components used in the main board circuits do not work well when operating at the low end of the battery. whether it's voltage or current.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. Right now I think I one step closer to the root cause of the problem.
First of all - it started to stuck each time it goes to the middle of the room, even after 1 min of work. I've checked LIDAR reading using NeatoConnect - and LIDAR sees objects very close to the robot (0.5m - 2 feet). As far as I can see from the screenshoots around the web - it should see without any issues walls in 3-5m range. That explains why it shows error 4000 in the middle of the room. Also, I've checked battery - even on 14V it still couldn't see beyond 0.5m radius.

What maybe the issue here? LIDAR is clean, rotates @ 5.16Hz (should be fine - right?). I've got a feeling that the problem is with LIDAR sensitivity? Not sure why it degraded like this only after 1 week of active use.

Any ideas? Do you think that if I disassemble it I may find/fix the problem (any videos/instructions on how to do that?)
I'm out of warranty BTW because I'm outside US and bought it from not authorized dealer :( (so no worries about disassembly)

Thanks in advance
Last edited by ADenis on June 15th, 2016, 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ADenis

Postby glnc222 » June 14th, 2016, 5:53 pm

F_Robot once reported here a lidar mounting not flat, causing obstruction, requiring adjustment.
The Neato Control program thread may have some detail from Lewiy on things to look for in the lidar display, how it shows the supports on the turret cap etc.
A test scan from the middle of the room should show the sensitivity. Maximum range specified 15ft. The units require landmarks within range, cannot operate within very large spaces without furniture breaking it up, problems in long hallways etc.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby ADenis » June 15th, 2016, 2:20 am

This si something new. Now it shows error 4006. I don't see a description on Neato site.
ADenis

Postby ADenis » June 15th, 2016, 2:46 am

Here is some guy fixed similar problem:

http://blog.avrnoob.com/2015/08/neato-b ... -1-ir.html
ADenis

Postby ADenis » June 16th, 2016, 4:04 pm

Guys,
I fixed the problem! LIDAR sensor was not properly calibrated. To fix this issue you don't even need to disassemble the robot, just remove the LIDAR cover and open (4 screws) LIDAR cap. Here you can see the laser with a lense and a sensor on the other side (photo diode?). Sensor is located inside metallic tube. Using pliers I've turned it slightly in one and then other direction, each time checking LIDAR vision range using NeatoConnect.
Now it clearly sees objects in 2-3m (6-10 feet) range. The behavior is also restored - it easily returns to the base and does cleaning in proper pattern
ADenis

Postby imtyr1 » June 29th, 2016, 8:53 am

I registered just to say Thank you so much! This problem has been bugging me for months. I have spent $$$ on bearing, motor and battery. I wish you had this problem earlier. LOL

Mod need to put this as best solution for LIDAR issues.
imtyr1

Postby shirgal » July 2nd, 2016, 8:36 pm

ADenis wrote: 3) when it starts to vacuum - when I press home - most of the time it doesn't show "return home" option - is it expected? should it alway show "return home" when it vacuums when it started from the charging station and it was not interrupted?

It shows the message return home after neato recognize it again, but not right after it started,it takes at least one pass from 1-2 meters form the base.
shirgal
Robot Addict

Postby raptoe » July 25th, 2017, 3:00 am

Adenis your solution is perfect!
After I turned a bit the front of metallic area of the LIDAR, the data started flowing! It was like a new LIDAR! Thank you.

I also did a small change to have access to the top LIDAR cap like at Neato D Series.
Now my neato XV Signature cleans properly.
THX!!!
raptoe

Postby ADenis » July 25th, 2017, 5:36 am

Sorry for the late response. I'm glad that you were able to fix the problem.
ADenis

Return to Neato Robotics