LCD failed - anyone tried neato repair facilities?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

LCD failed - anyone tried neato repair facilities?

Postby tange1 » September 7th, 2016, 10:29 am

My 3 year old Neato xv-11 has a dead LCD - it lights up but displays no text. Neato recommended I use Funai or Extron for repair. Does anyone have any experiences with these companies? Do they stock the parts needed for a repair of a 3 yr old unit or am I better off tossing it and buying new?

about my unit - not sure what firmware and i can't see but i haven't updated it in a long time i think it was on the newest it could be

it has lithium batteries in it made by lithium power inc. and the pet upgrade brush/filter.

https://www.funai-oow.com/neato.html
https://www.extronservices.com/neatorepair/

thanks
tange1

Re: LCD failed - anyone tried neato repair facilities?

Postby vic7767 » September 7th, 2016, 10:56 am

Your best bet at this time would be to check out the newest Botvac models without any LCD at all, coming soon to a store near you.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby tange1 » September 7th, 2016, 11:08 am

Is that because its not repairable? The cost estimates of $60 - 95 by funai seem reasonable. Looks like all the botvac's listed on the site have LCD's still?
tange1

Postby glnc222 » September 7th, 2016, 12:06 pm

Replacement LCD's are on ebay some $36, but for the newer Rev 64, Binky system board with a full connector on the cable, at least three years old now. Older Rev113 had a bare clamped termination. Those very old displays might be a problem for the repair depots, who knows? Consider the shipping costs of the heavy appliance, both ways.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » September 7th, 2016, 1:57 pm

tange1 wrote:Is that because its not repairable?
No, the reason for the suggestion is two fold. First the newer model Botvacs have no LCD to even worry about and your present model Neato has other issues that may pop up like either a Lidar motor failure, a drive wheel motor failure or component failure on the main circuit board.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby tange1 » September 7th, 2016, 4:10 pm

thanks, looks like the bots with no LCD's haven't hit the market yet.
tange1

Postby glnc222 » September 7th, 2016, 5:04 pm

October release was mentioned. The Botvac LCD is better than the XV's, smaller and color. I don't recall any reports of failures in them. Look for bargains on the Botvac-D unless you want WiFi.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Trevbot5 » January 10th, 2017, 4:09 pm

I am personally dealing with Funai on a Botvac80 repair. It is absolutely painful. The company has no phone number so you can never speak to someone which means you need to send an email in which you can expect a response within 72 hours. I have been less than impressed. I sent the neato to them on Oct 22nd, they wouldn't respond to me until Nov 18th that they received the botvac. Then I didn't receive my vacuum back until mid December. Low and behold it wasn't fixed. Now I sent it back in last week and waiting to hear what the problem really is. I do love the Neato vacuum but the lack of service centers is a big downfall. I would just cut my losses and buy a new one but I bought an extended warranty and need it to be fixed... I'd beware working with Funai!
Trevbot5

Postby av8er64 » January 13th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Same here. Funai is terrible. I sent my robot in for repair in November, 2 weeks after it arrived they still had not responded to me. I assumed my robot was lost. Finally a month later after many angry emails, they responded and said they fixed it. I received it and it worked for maybe like 5 times before I started getting my vision is blocked error messages. They claim a 90 day warranty on repairs, but it seems they are stretching that time out by not responding to me. 5 emails later, no response. Still trying. Terrible company.
av8er64

Extremely Bad Experience with Funai OOW - Neato repair facil

Postby mann » January 14th, 2017, 4:28 pm

Funai OOW Service, Neato's authorized repair facility is extremely poorly managed. Do not use them!

I had a very bad experience with them. Neato customer support told me to contact them as they deemed my vacuum was out of warranty as slight water got into it killing its motherboard. Another sad story.

However Funai OOW service is worse. They took $60 from me for initial fee and shipping, and never shipped the box to me that I was supposed to use to send them my vacuum! I sent many emails and received poor communications after long gaps. They said they will look into why it was not sent...then silence again. They gave me a tracking number with no shipping company info. I hunted it down and finally traced it to Fedex. After more than one week, the status on Fedex still says "Shipping Label created, awaiting the package".

Worthless service. They have no phone number to call and online chat is almost always disabled. They probably have one employee for handling customer service. I have a feeling they will not return my vacuum for a long time, even if they manage to send me the box. I have asked them to refund my my $60. Waiting for it, I hope they don't rob me of my money.
mann

Postby TechGuy » January 14th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Call your credit card issuer to get refund.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
For Sale: Black CHM 2 Ball Bearings set
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby Aggrocragg » March 9th, 2017, 3:34 pm

I've had the same experience with Funai.

My Neato XV-21 worked very well for 2 years with regular use before breaking, and I sent it to Funai for OOW repairs. Delivery was confirmed within a week. Repair estimate was given at 10-20 days.

40 days passed, and I emailed for an update. I was told a few days later that they were looking into the matter and would reply in 24-48 "business hours" (i.e., 3-6 business days).

No response for a week, so I contacted them again. Chat person said the original estimate should have said the 10-20 days were business days (so 2-4 weeks), and that was just to evaluate the problem, and the repair would take an ADDITIONAL 30-35 business days (6-7 weeks).

I contacted Neato directly, and they were polite, said they had a bunch of complaints about Funai, would look into it...and did nothing besides provide me the phone number for Funai's call center: 888-290-0871.

I contacted Funai again (9 weeks after confirmation of delivery) and was told that the repairs were complete and they were just waiting on payment. They never sent any notification of this to me and didn't have that reflected in the Order Status on their web page. I authorized payment and was told they would send the repaired vacuum back within 8 days. I'm waiting to see if they do so.
Aggrocragg

Postby wba@acm.org » March 25th, 2017, 1:58 pm

I'll add my voice to the complaints against Funai. They've had my Neato since December, and won't give me a clue as to if/when I might get it back. I've used their email system a couple of times with no useful response (they did apologize for the backlog a few months ago though, and entertainingly asked if I was satisfied with the service). I tried the chat but it just shut down. Left a phone message, never heard back. Lucky we still own a standard vacuum.
wba@acm.org

Return to Neato Robotics