Neato Botvac 85 open dirt bin push switch down to on error

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato Botvac 85 open dirt bin push switch down to on error

Postby brickalive » September 25th, 2016, 12:18 pm

I have a Neato Botvac 85 which started displaying the "open dirt bin and push down switch to error". It is completely dead when not on the dock.

I have tried to sort it out by many different methods listed on this forum, but none worked. I'm listing the ones I tried in case they help someone and would really appreciate if someone could suggest a solution that works for me.

1. Obvious: Turn switch to on. Doesn't work

2. Resettingby pressing the Home button for 30 seconds and then reconnecting to the charging station doesn't work, the error message shows up within 15 seconds of connecting it to the dock.

3, Installing a new battery. It did not have any impact. After installing I did use the "new battery" option through the menu on the LCD panel

4. Connecting pins They seem fine, so I didn't fiddle with them, in any case the diagnostics seem to show that this isn't the problem.

5. Diagnostics using NeatoControl This showed the battery as connected, charging as enabled and also a voltage value. The relevant information from the Sensors tab

Code: Select all
____   Analog:   ____=
BatteryVoltage=mV=17786
BatteryCurrent=mA=1
BatteryTemperature=mC=23969
ExternalVoltage=mV=18233
____   Charger:   ____=
FuelPercent=0
BatteryOverTemp=0
ChargingActive=1
ChargingEnabled=1
ConfidentOnFuel=1
OnReservedFuel=1
EmptyFuel=0
BatteryFailure=0
ExtPwrPresent=1
ThermistorPresent=1
BattTempCAvg=28
VBattV=17.78
VExtV=18.23
Charger_mAH=1
Discharge_mAH=0

I also tried the battery settings tab on NeatoControl that is meant for recycling the battery and the LCD screen also displayed for example 100% charge in response, but ultimately it did not turn on the motor or anything and the error message keeps repeating. And all this happens only on dock, otherwise the Neato does not turn on.

Thank you in advance!
brickalive

Re: Neato Botvac 85 open dirt bin push switch down to on er

Postby joker18 » September 25th, 2016, 1:23 pm

Push the battery button inward and keep it pressed and see if the Botvac turns on.
On my Botvac connected the Button was faulty and I realized when just by curiosity I made contact between the 2 pins with the screwdriver. If you have your botvac disassembled you can try the same.
joker18

Postby glnc222 » September 25th, 2016, 1:33 pm

The voltages shown are in a charging state, and seeming high for a Botvac 12v nominal battery. The Fuel Gauge shows zero requiring charging in order to run off the dock. High charging voltage could result from high resistance, maybe wiring break, in the battery circuit (constant current charger maxes out voltage when it cannot push current through). Look at the current data in the analog sensor display of Neato Control not shown. If the battery is charging it would go to 2 amps (negative when charging I think). Maybe a system board component in the battery circuit is burned out, open circuit. High current would suggest a short circuit.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » September 25th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Also check voltage on the battery outside the Neato. Fully charged batteries can go to 13.5v or more and fall to 10v when empty. If the battery is fully charged and the software Fuel Gauge per cent is wrong, it can be set manually over USB. (To fully test the battery a load needs to be attached, such as Neato fan running over USB or a 25w 12v lightbulb, bunch of 10W resistors in parallel etc.)
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby brickalive » September 25th, 2016, 2:50 pm

joker18 wrote:Push the battery button inward and keep it pressed and see if the Botvac turns on.
On my Botvac connected the Button was faulty and I realized when just by curiosity I made contact between the 2 pins with the screwdriver. If you have your botvac disassembled you can try the same.

Thanks. Which battery button do you mean?

glnc222 wrote:The voltages shown are in a charging state, and seeming high for a Botvac 12v nominal battery. The Fuel Gauge shows zero requiring charging in order to run off the dock. High charging voltage could result from high resistance, maybe wiring break, in the battery circuit (constant current charger maxes out voltage when it cannot push current through). Look at the current data in the analog sensor display of Neato Control not shown. If the battery is charging it would go to 2 amps (negative when charging I think). Maybe a system board component in the battery circuit is burned out, open circuit. High current would suggest a short circuit.

The battery is Ni-MH 3600mA "certified Neato accesory" but not from Neato itself. How can I check if there is a short circuit?

glnc222 wrote: If the battery is fully charged and the software Fuel Gauge per cent is wrong, it can be set manually over USB. (To fully test the battery a load needs to be attached, such as Neato fan running over USB

How can I set the fuel guage? And how can I run the neato fan over usb? Is there a simple way to test the battery?
brickalive

Postby joker18 » September 25th, 2016, 3:49 pm

I'm referring to the On-off button that that your botvac refers to in the error message.
joker18

Postby glnc222 » September 25th, 2016, 4:05 pm

See Neato Control Program for USB http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18173
and install Neato driver referenced in PC in order to use. Also USB programming manual top of main forum page, for terminal emulator programs such as hyperterminal, teraterm etc. A microusb cable similar to cellphones used.
Socket under the dirt bin in front.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby brickalive » September 25th, 2016, 4:24 pm

glnc222 wrote:The voltages shown are in a charging state, and seeming high for a Botvac 12v nominal battery. The Fuel Gauge shows zero requiring charging in order to run off the dock. High charging voltage could result from high resistance, maybe wiring break, in the battery circuit (constant current charger maxes out voltage when it cannot push current through). Look at the current data in the analog sensor display of Neato Control not shown. If the battery is charging it would go to 2 amps (negative when charging I think). Maybe a system board component in the battery circuit is burned out, open circuit. High current would suggest a short circuit.

I just noticed that the robot turns off when the Battery voltage value is around 17400mV and then when it turns back on the value is shown around 12800mV. Does this mean it's a short circuit? I have the complete sensor output below:

Before
BatteryVoltage=mV=17481
BatteryCurrent=mA=-1
BatteryTemperature=mC=2147483647
ExternalVoltage=mV=18227
AccelerometerX=mG=18
AccelerometerY=mG=59
AccelerometerZ=mG=930
VacuumCurrent=mA=0
SideBrushCurrent=mA=0
MagSensorLeft=VAL=0
MagSensorRight=VAL=0
WallSensor=mm=49
DropSensorLeft=mm=0
DropSensorRight=mm=0
____   Buttons:   ____=
BTN_SOFT_KEY=False
BTN_SCROLL_UP=False
BTN_START=False
BTN_BACK=False
BTN_SCROLL_DOWN=False
BTN_SPOT=False
FuelPercent=89
BatteryOverTemp=0
ChargingActive=OFF: 0
ChargingEnabled=OFF: 0
ConfidentOnFuel=1
OnReservedFuel=1
EmptyFuel=0
BatteryFailure=0
ExtPwrPresent=1
ThermistorPresent=1
BattTempCAvg=26
VBattV=17.48
VExtV=18.22
Charger_mAH=0
Discharge_mAH=1

After restart This restart happened by itself, the robot powered off and then powered back up and i reconnected it to the NeatoControl software

____   Discrete:   ____=
SNSR_DC_JACK_IS_IN=False
SNSR_DUSTBIN_IS_IN=False
SNSR_LEFT_WHEEL_EXTENDED=False
SNSR_RIGHT_WHEEL_EXTENDED=False
LSIDEBIT=False
LFRONTBIT=False
LLDSBIT=False
RSIDEBIT=False
RFRONTBIT=False
RLDSBIT=False
BatteryVoltage=mV=12851
BatteryCurrent=mA=0
BatteryTemperature=mC=22000
ExternalVoltage=mV=18246
AccelerometerX=mG=-2
AccelerometerY=mG=61
AccelerometerZ=mG=938
VacuumCurrent=mA=0
SideBrushCurrent=mA=0
MagSensorLeft=VAL=0
MagSensorRight=VAL=0
WallSensor=mm=70
DropSensorLeft=mm=0
DropSensorRight=mm=0
____   Buttons:   ____=
BTN_SOFT_KEY=False
BTN_SCROLL_UP=False
BTN_START=False
BTN_BACK=False
BTN_SCROLL_DOWN=False
BTN_SPOT=False
FuelPercent=0
BatteryOverTemp=0
ChargingActive=1
ChargingEnabled=1
ConfidentOnFuel=1
OnReservedFuel=1
EmptyFuel=1
BatteryFailure=0
ExtPwrPresent=1
ThermistorPresent=1
BattTempCAvg=39
VBattV=12.85
VExtV=18.24
Charger_mAH=0
Discharge_mAH=0

In case you need, the version and hardware info for my robot is:

GetVersion
Component,Major,Minor,Build,Aux
BaseID,0.0,0.0,0,0,
BatteryType,1,NIMH_10CELL,
BlowerType,1,BLOWER_ORIG,
Bootloader Version,22009,,
BrushMotorType,1,BRUSH_MOTOR_ORIG,
BrushSpeed,1200,,
ChassisRev,1,,
DropSensorType,1,DROP_SENSOR_ORIG,
LCD Panel,137,240,124,
LDS CPU,F2802x/c001,,
LDS Serial,WTD29314AA-0333135,,
LDS Software,V2.6.15295,0000000000,
Locale,1,LOCALE_USA,
MagSensorType,1,MAG_SENSOR_ORIG,
MainBoard Serial Number,OPS29714,bc6a297d1ebd,
MainBoard Version,0,,
Model,BotVacBasic,905-0079,
QAState,QA_STATE_APPROVED
Serial Number,WTD30614,bc6a297d1xxx,P
SideBrushPower,1500,,
SideBrushType,2,SIDE_BRUSH_VORWERK_REV1,
Software,1,1,97
UI Board Hardware,0,0,
UI Board Software,1,3,
VacuumPwr,52,,
WallSensorType,1,WALL_SENSOR_ORIG,
WheelPodType,1,WHEEL_POD_ORIG,
brickalive

Postby glnc222 » September 25th, 2016, 4:39 pm

There is no change in the Botvac electronics and software except for the new WiFi equipped model, so that data not relevant.

All that can be said so far is something is defective in the battery and charging circuits, or even in the computer, given software controls. The parts are made to be replaced as entire modules, with most of the robot value in the single computer system circuit board. Professionally this would just be replaced or swapped from another working unit to see if that is the problem. Engineering expertise and a lot of time and equipment is needed to bother with individual components, not even made to be removed from system boards. Originally no parts were available for Botvac but with enough time now some used etc. show up on ebay, over $150. Up to you whether worth repairing at such prices compared to entire units used and new. How old is the unit anyway?
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » September 25th, 2016, 5:26 pm

There was one case reported here where the battery connector was corroded or something, improved by cleaning (best use alcohol or special products for terminals) 3mm Pitch AMP TE Micro-Mate-N-Lok 1445022-6
can be also be replaced, ebay and parts distributors like Digi-Key. Very thin pins don't know how it was handled.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Medtech » September 27th, 2016, 1:13 pm

brickalive
You should check the temperature sensor, in the readings of visible value "BatteryTemperature = mC = 2147483647"
in normal condition, this value is "BatteryTemperature, mC, 26930," it corresponds to the temperature 26,9C °
You have a problem with the temperature sensor, temperature sensor, measure the resistance of the battery - it's two yellow wires. Maybe they are broken or shorted, this happens in violation of the integrity of the battery and attempt to repair it.
Thank you GOOGLE translator for the freedom of communication.
Medtech
Robot Groupie

Postby LyndaPowell » October 14th, 2016, 2:14 pm

We were having this problem. We reviewed the posts here. We held the home button down for 30-seconds, as indicated in a post. We ended up having to hold it down three times but after that it started back up with out problems. Our fingers are crossed...hoping for the best. Wish we could give you the exact messages and sequence but just can't remember. ;(~
Betty Bot
LyndaPowell

Postby Heidschnucke » January 15th, 2017, 8:42 am

Hello from Germany,
I am the newbie of today and hope you will welcome my prescence and my first thread/problem.
I'd like to continue the prob of my pre-poster.
I have the same issue, my 7 month old Neato Botvac D85 is constantly complaning via this message "open dirt bin push switch down to on". I have no idea why, because it is switched on and charging at its base station.
Lucky me I found this forum and in the meantime I could solve the issue by confirming in the menu "new battery". But after several days the bot stopped again. Doing the "New Battery"-Workaround http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19162 did solve again and uptonow the problem seems to be fixed. Who knows how long. At the moment it is doing its job everyday for about 1h, before recharging. Its working place/my flat has a size of 3 rooms-bath-kitchen-guest.restroom (85sqm).
Concerning the warranty I claimed for help at my local dealer via email. He referred to the German repairing center, which still haven't replied after one week... Bad service for about 500,- € and an extra bought 5-year-local-dealership-warranty. I am really annoyed.
Furthermore I attached the robot to the USB of my computer and did the NetaoControl thing.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance
HS

Neato Control table:
Tab - Options:
GetVersionComponent,Major,Minor,Build,Aux
BaseID,1.2,1.0,18000,2000,
BatteryType,1,NIMH_10CELL,
BlowerType,1,BLOWER_ORIG,
Bootloader Version,22009,,
BrushMotorType,1,BRUSH_MOTOR_ORIG,
BrushSpeed,1200,,
ChassisRev,1,,
DropSensorType,1,DROP_SENSOR_ORIG,
LCD Panel,137,240,124,
LDS CPU,F2802x/c001,,
LDS Serial,OPS04711AA-0086311,,
LDS Software,V2.6.15295,0000000000,
Locale,1,LOCALE_USA,
MagSensorType,1,MAG_SENSOR_ORIG,
MainBoard Serial Number,OPS47715,6ceceb98521a,
MainBoard Version,0,,
Model,BotVacBasic,905-0285,
QAState,QA_STATE_APPROVED
Serial Number,OPS50215,6ceceb98521a,P
SideBrushPower,1500,,
SideBrushType,2,SIDE_BRUSH_VORWERK_REV1,
Software,1,2,1
UI Board Hardware,0,0,
UI Board Software,1,3,
VacuumPwr,65,,
WallSensorType,1,WALL_SENSOR_ORIG,
WheelPodType,1,WHEEL_POD_ORIG,

Tab - Sensors:
____ Discrete: ____=
SNSR_DC_JACK_IS_IN=False
SNSR_DUSTBIN_IS_IN=False
SNSR_LEFT_WHEEL_EXTENDED=False
SNSR_RIGHT_WHEEL_EXTENDED=False
LSIDEBIT=False
LFRONTBIT=False
LLDSBIT=False
RSIDEBIT=False
RFRONTBIT=False
RLDSBIT=False
____ Analog: ____=
BatteryVoltage=mV=13438
BatteryCurrent=mA=-96
BatteryTemperature=mC=32348
ExternalVoltage=mV=762
AccelerometerX=mG=6
AccelerometerY=mG=-10
AccelerometerZ=mG=1016
VacuumCurrent=mA=0
SideBrushCurrent=mA=0
MagSensorLeft=VAL=0
MagSensorRight=VAL=0
WallSensor=mm=70
DropSensorLeft=mm=0
DropSensorRight=mm=0
____ Buttons: ____=
BTN_SOFT_KEY=False
BTN_SCROLL_UP=False
BTN_START=False
BTN_BACK=False
BTN_SCROLL_DOWN=False
BTN_SPOT=False
____ Charger: ____=
FuelPercent=41
BatteryOverTemp=0
ChargingActive=0
ChargingEnabled=1
ConfidentOnFuel=1
OnReservedFuel=0
EmptyFuel=0
BatteryFailure=0
ExtPwrPresent=0
ThermistorPresent=1
BattTempCAvg=32
VBattV=13.44
VExtV=0.76
Charger_mAH=0
Discharge_mAH=100
Heidschnucke

Postby glnc222 » January 15th, 2017, 3:30 pm

The battery temperature is very high as though just fully charged and the battery voltage is at the maximum or even higher, as though the charger is operating, but the charging current is off. Yet the Fuel Gauge is at only 41 per cent, not fully charged.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Medtech » January 15th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Heidschnucke
it is time to replace the battery, your battery is worn out and needs replacing, check the approximate area of the cleaning robot is usually cleaned your area, without interim charging?
Thank you GOOGLE translator for the freedom of communication.
Medtech
Robot Groupie

Postby Heidschnucke » January 15th, 2017, 5:29 pm

Hi and thanks für your hints!
From my point of view the cleaning time hasn't changed. The robot needs one hour, goes for a recharge and finishs its job on the second run.
Heidschnucke

Postby Heidschnucke » January 16th, 2017, 4:40 am

Hi again and thanks for your advice.
Is it possible to update the 7-months-old Botvac D85 with an Li-Ion-Cell? As I know the Botvac connected has one. Maybe it's compatible. But at the Neato Mainpage there is a hint about the fact, that the conneted-accu won't work with the D85.
Is there a battery or accumulator on the market, which is build fomr another manufacturer than the original Neato? Maybe more value for the price or the same value and cheaper?
Like this onehttps://www.amazon.de/Lithium-Ionen-Akku-Service-Kit-bestehend-Seitenb%C3%BCrste-HEPA-Filter/dp/B01JJ4XN6K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484556092&sr=8-2&keywords=ANewPow%2CLithium%2F...
Thanks in advance?
Heidschnucke

Postby glnc222 » January 16th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Lithium replacements for the original NiMh battery last longer and so are more expensive. The ANewPow (Europe) and Lithium Power Inc. (U.S.) are the only such batteries. They include special electronics to use the Neato NiMh charger, with a different procedure than used for Lithium. The Connected model lithium battery requires software for lithium charging, different from NiMh. On XV models, software could be configured with setting commands over USB for the type of battery used. I do not think this works on Botvac's, but do not have one. See thread "Lithium Ion Revisited" for more technical information.

Skilled users have made their own batteries.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby otto » January 18th, 2017, 5:27 pm

Hello,
have had the problem when recharging. Checked connectors etc without success. Charged/discharged the bat pack with external charger still no fix.

However when stripping the battery pack to be able to measure each nimh cell voltage I found one cell that was down to 1,0V while the others was around 1,2V each. This cell also got very hot during discharge of the pack.
The low cell was then charged up to the level of the other cells (called balancing). After this treatment the error msg was gone and the robot working normally. The battery is two years old.
otto

Return to Neato Robotics