Botvac Connected vs Botvac D5 Connected?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Botvac Connected vs Botvac D5 Connected?

Postby Stormwind » November 22nd, 2016, 1:58 pm

Does anyone know if the Botvac D5 Connected has features the more expensive Botvac Connected does not?

It seems like the Botvac Connected is slightly older but is rated for more sq ft per run (larger battery?) and has Eco/Turbo mode and Manual Drive, whereas the D5 Connected has Find Me and Cleaning Stats - according to https://www.neatorobotics.com/compare-robot-vacuums/

Is the D5 Connected better than the Connected at some things? It is very confusing to me that the most expensive model doesn't have all or better features than the less expensive model.

Thanks!
Last edited by Stormwind on November 27th, 2016, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormwind

Re: Botvac Connected vs Botvac D5 Connected?

Postby bcarpenter » November 22nd, 2016, 4:54 pm

Neato has also come out & said there will be a firmware update for the Botvac Connected to bring it up to the same features as the D5 Connected. Whether they do this or not will be interesting, as they haven't done a firmware update for existing bots for many years now.
bcarpenter

Postby vic7767 » November 22nd, 2016, 5:31 pm

I suspect all WiFi connected Botvacs will be flashed via the NeatoRobotics cloud.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » November 23rd, 2016, 12:59 am

New Performance Specifications
Neato Robotics U.S. website has added details of the claimed performance such as area coverage possible with the vacuums, ranging from 1800 sq ft to 5000sq ft. Oddly the latest D5 Botvac connected specifies 4500sqft compared to 5000 for the original Connected. The inscrutable product designers. I do not think these figures represent coverage on a single charge based on experience with such equipment, the run times and battery capacity specs.
https://neatorobotics.com/compare-robot-vacuums/

Samsung's U.S. website also has some technical details not found on foreign sites. They've all been upgrading their marketing web pages lately.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby bcarpenter » November 23rd, 2016, 1:29 am

No, they say that this is with a 3-outing clean cycle.
bcarpenter

Postby markswift » November 23rd, 2016, 6:53 am

The remote robot protocol API has the new functions, so the connected range WILL get an update.
markswift

Postby Stormwind » November 27th, 2016, 3:55 pm

bcarpenter wrote:Neato has also come out & said there will be a firmware update for the Botvac Connected to bring it up to the same features as the D5 Connected. Whether they do this or not will be interesting, as they haven't done a firmware update for existing bots for many years now.

Great! Is there a link to where Neato said that about the firmware update?
Stormwind

Postby glnc222 » December 4th, 2016, 10:25 pm

CNET review November 2016

CNET is promoting the Botvac Connected as less expensive than the Roomba 980, and is ignoring other brands. Perhaps they declined to supply free test units.
https://www.cnet.com/topics/vacuum-cleaners/best-vacuum-cleaners/
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » December 4th, 2016, 11:17 pm

Two Pass Cleaning
Some time ago a member posted wishes for the robot to criss-cross the room in two directions for more thorough cleaning of carpet, debating the difficulty of such software and what not. So interesting CNET's review comments:
the Botvac Connected is more thorough: it sweeps the center of the room in both rows and columns, and edges along the walls multiple times, too.

That gives the Neato ample opportunity to pick up any debris it might miss on a single pass, though cleaning runs take a little longer as a result.

While CNET finds Neato the best performer in its tests, they fail to mention all these robots with small wheels cannot navigate on slick carpets handled only by the larger wheels on Powerbots or Dysons' tracked robot. The perfect robot remains elusive and they need to be selected based on customer's particular environment and preferences. Convenient returns with trial testing in the house can be needed.
Last edited by glnc222 on December 5th, 2016, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby jdong » December 5th, 2016, 10:25 pm

It's worth mentioning, incidentally, that the Roomba 9xx's 2-pass cleaning does criss-cross the room in a different direction on the second pass. I thought it was an interesting detail -- a fairly logical idea.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby someoneclever » December 12th, 2016, 5:19 pm

Is it true that the D5 has a more powerful motor than the original Connected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
someoneclever
Robot Addict

Postby ngeorgieff » December 19th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Neato released a new firmware update v2.2.0 with:

Version 2.2.0 includes:
Cleaning Summary with Coverage Maps & Cleaning History
Improved Wi-Fi Connectivity
Other minor fixes and enhancements
ngeorgieff

Postby Face » January 23rd, 2017, 10:39 am

the new firmware is also for D5?
it has added the map of rooms cleaned?
Face

Postby someoneclever » January 23rd, 2017, 4:56 pm

2.2.0 is for the Botvac Connected only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
someoneclever
Robot Addict

Postby Face » January 24th, 2017, 3:37 pm

Any chance / rumors to have that feature also for D5 in a new firmware update ?
Face

Postby Face » January 24th, 2017, 4:00 pm

Coming back to original question: the lack of Turbo mode in D5 should position that new robot to second place after the (old) Connected model ?
I've read for example that using Turbo mode on Botvac Connected move correctly all the hairs inside the trash bin while with Eco mode all the hairs remains all over the brush; don't want that D5 with only normal mode could cause that issue.

From another point of view normally a new model (like the D5) should be have inside better technology and construction over the old Botvac Connected, isn't it ?

I'm really undecided between these 2 ... :?:
Face

Postby lifereinspired » February 1st, 2017, 1:49 am

Interesting info. I spoke at length with the Neato support team back in the fall after they had initial information about the D5 but before they had been fully trained in support for it. I was told in no uncertain terms that the Connected would NOT be getting some of the additional features that the D5 will have such as "Find Me" and Cleaning Stats because it's based on a completely different wifi chipset that allows the robot to connect to multiple wifi spots (and that is crucial for the additional features). I was told it would be impossible for this to be replicated on the Connected model. They also thought that the D5 would likely have a similar mode (or would have the same power as the Turbo) but would simply use the power mode intelligently (more power on carpets and less on hard surfaces for example). They wanted to confirm the information but that's what I was told. I have yet to confirm it myself. They said the main reason the Connected costs more is the LCD screen which some users require (who don't have a smartphone/device for instance). But they said there were definitely hardware upgrades in the D5 and recommended that unless I had to have an LCD, that I wait and go for the D5.

I wish I had more concrete info but wanted to share what I was told. Thanks for this thread!
lifereinspired

Return to Neato Robotics