Standard or high perf filters?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Standard or high perf filters?

Postby someoneclever » November 26th, 2016, 9:32 pm

I have a Neato botvac Connected and I an wondering what filters to buy. The standard filters are £30 for 12 and the high performance ones are £30 for 6. So they're basically just double the price. Can somebody tell me the differences and what filter might be best for my use? I have 6 rooms with one carpeted and total area 600 sq ft. I'm also concerned about the standard filters clogging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
someoneclever
Robot Addict

Re: Standard or high perf filters?

Postby glnc222 » November 26th, 2016, 10:22 pm

High Performance Filters are preferred. It is enough of a nuisance filters are needed at all. The surface area is what matters. Some measurements obtained in thread "Electronic Filter Monitoring". It is possible to make your own replacement filters saving the plastic frames, with furnace filter material, cheaper -- a range of fineness degrees. The High Performance is also a finer filter but not HEPA grade -- those will clog up faster with finer debris. Better to use separate room air cleaners with larger HEPA filters in that case.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby someoneclever » November 27th, 2016, 5:53 am

I read somewhere that High Performance Filters will reduce suction power. Is this true?

someoneclever
Robot Addict

Postby someoneclever » November 27th, 2016, 11:57 am

Also, does the tissue trick reduce suction power?

someoneclever
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » November 27th, 2016, 2:45 pm

The High Performance and Pet & Allergy filter provide more air flow because of the larger area (analyzed in thread Electronic Filter Monitoring). A single ply tissue makes little reduction. Washed out clothes dryer softening sheets have an even more open mesh and could be reusable, but tissue is fine and easily replaced. The very old original flat filters are pretty obsolete at this point. Vorwerk introduced the high performance filter in their first model and never used the flat ones.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby someoneclever » November 27th, 2016, 3:58 pm

On an unrelated note, what would happen If Neato was run without the brush guard in place? Would the brush just fall out or something?
someoneclever
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » November 27th, 2016, 4:32 pm

The brush guard forms a clip over the brush bearing holding it in. Also the guard forms the front edge lifting over obstacles, on the Neato (Samsung different, with a recessed brush and beveled case front). On carpet the blades would press too deeply without the guard and probably stall. What would you be trying to achieve? All vacuums have brush guards. You might want to mark a piece of paper or something with the width of the brush vanes and check annually for wear, as periodic replacement is specified in the manual. Less wear on carpet (and they like to sell accessories...). I reported some wear measurements in another thread, try text search.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby someoneclever » November 27th, 2016, 5:50 pm

I was just wondering

someoneclever
Robot Addict

Postby plex » November 30th, 2016, 2:14 pm

I'm going to take delivery of a botvac connected, and I'm wondering if I should avoid the Ultra Performance filters, and go for the High Performance as suggested...? How often do you replace filters? On my old Roomba 780, I did run the filters for one year, with regular cleaning with compressed air, before replacing...

plex
Robot Groupie

Postby someoneclever » November 30th, 2016, 4:03 pm

You replace filters every 1 or 2 months, depending on usage.

someoneclever
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » November 30th, 2016, 4:15 pm

The "ultra performance" filter has the built-in screen pre-filter, similar to use of single-ply tissue over other filters such as the High Performance or Pet & Allergy filter. It seems a matter of convenience. They seem to have responded to users adopting the pre-filter practice (wonders never cease). Usage depends on how much dirt is collected. Some users reported using the filters several months with a pre-filter. DIY filters can be made from furnace filter material (in various grades of fineness), saving the frames from discarded Neato filters (example in thread Electronic Filter Monitoring, links in Mods & Repairs list top of main forum page).
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby someoneclever » November 30th, 2016, 4:22 pm

Also, the ultra performance filters have a plastic grate to stop dust getting embedded in the filter and an easier to open latch.

someoneclever
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » November 30th, 2016, 5:22 pm

Keep in mind the biggest operating expense is replacing the battery after 1-3 years -- life of the lithium battery not yet known, and depends on frequency of use. The lithium battery lists at $80 at SmartAccessoryNation.com drop-shipper factory direct.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby someoneclever » December 1st, 2016, 4:22 am

True but I got my neato in November so still a long time until I change the battery. Know any UK battery suppliers?

someoneclever
Robot Addict

Postby plex » December 1st, 2016, 4:52 am

Thanks for explaning about the filters :)

Let's see if the Neato BC can become my friend or not - looks like review are pretty mixed. People love it or hate it :lol:

I'm a Little worried about navigation on rugs, between chair legs and so on - something Roomba 780 did manage to do, but not with elegance.
plex
Robot Groupie

Postby glnc222 » December 1st, 2016, 4:23 pm

UK distribution: google and ebay search for accessories usually reveals local dealers, and in time they are likely to be listed on Amazon.uk. The lithium batteries are just starting distribution. It does not pay to stock until there is enough demand. Tightened restrictions for safety on lithium air shipments may have slowed batteries needing ocean freight.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby dickvantassel » January 18th, 2017, 3:49 am

I read about using dish soap and water for cleaning the Roomba filters. Tried that but since I three filters I decided to experiment and put one in the top rack of the dishwasher. Seems to be working fine. I still blow them off with air but after a couple of days I just swap them out and run one through the dishwasher. Then air dry.
dickvantassel

Postby cherokee180c » January 21st, 2017, 12:04 pm

The tissue pre-filter works amazing. I have the high performance filter on the X-21 and see no need to even vacuum out for a month or so. I don't plan on changing until about 6 months. I just purchased the after market HEPA filters for the D3, and I intend to still use the tissue pre-filter although it may need to be toilet paper due to the size of the filter on the newer botvac / connected series.
cherokee180c
Robot Groupie

Postby JEfromCanada » January 21st, 2017, 3:22 pm

cherokee180c wrote:it may need to be toilet paper due to the size of the filter on the newer botvac / connected series.

I use two layers of used dryer fabric softener sheets. They're more durable than tissue paper and fit the larger filter nicely.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby cherokee180c » February 17th, 2017, 1:07 pm

Sounds like a good option, but I like to dispose of each cleaning when I dump the bin.
cherokee180c
Robot Groupie

Return to Neato Robotics