Neato D3 - Lack of side brush affect performance?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato D3 - Lack of side brush affect performance?

Postby calypso » December 19th, 2016, 2:35 am

Hi
Been trawling the forums for a while. Now looking to buy a robotic vac. The Neato D3 meets all my needs, but the lack of a side brush concerns me. In real world performance, does that lack of the side brush affect its performance? Im hoping as the main brush is so close to the edge that it will be able to suck all the dust away from a wall which it is following.

Thanks
calypso

Re: Neato D3 - Lack of side brush affect performance?

Postby glnc222 » December 19th, 2016, 3:39 am

The side brush covers a narrow strip maybe half an inch along the side still present with the Botvac, which did bring the brush end closer to the side than the original XV model (hence the side brush on the old Vorwerk version). The bumper structure on the Neato prevents the brush end being brought out all the way, needing some room for the bumper action, and would scrape the wall unacceptably if closer. Dyson has made a thing about getting the brush end out far.

I am not a fan of side brushes but opinions vary. Their addition to the first Botvac's was welcome by many users here and they can add their side to the story. Yet plenty of posts here about them falling off, not surprising with obstacles, and some types I have had break against sharp edges of bookcases and what not. I also found some of them at least, pull on wires placed against the wall to escape devouring robots, requiring more fussy less flexible installations of furniture. They are delicate and wear out (replacement packs of them sold). They do not work on carpet only delicately sweeping the surface. The side brushes on round bots help a lot in corners.

The belts for side brushes wear out over years and one more motor is subject to contamination with dust.

The side brush is not the only additional feature on more expensive bots. Wider intakes, larger batteries, more powerful suction, whatever. WiFi apps are an expensive recent addition, with very little use as far as I can see, with the minimal functions supported so far.

Expensive Samsung Powerbots have no side brushes. Fine with me, but some users are more fussy.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby someoneclever » December 19th, 2016, 6:06 am

There's always the option to add your own side brush-search "side brush" in the forums. Instructions may need to be changed for your Botvac model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
someoneclever
Robot Addict

Postby JEfromCanada » December 19th, 2016, 11:13 am

calypso wrote:In real world performance, does that lack of the side brush affect its performance? Im hoping as the main brush is so close to the edge that it will be able to suck all the dust away from a wall which it is following.

I started with the XV unit (no side brush and narrower main brush). Upgrading the the Botvac, I noticed a significant improvement in dirt pickup from carpet nearer the wall. That main brush makes the biggest difference. As far as the side brush goes, I have found that on bare floor, the side brush does an excellent job gathering dust bunnies from the very edge of walls (because, as mentioned already, the bot itself does not scrape against the wall and therefore doesn't get to the very edge).

In summary, if you've got lots of bare floor, the side brush will definitely make a difference.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby calypso » December 20th, 2016, 10:56 am

Hmm this is a pity, I have alot hard wood floors, and getting the dust away from the edges is pretty important to me. Otherwise the D3 checks all my boxes. Would prefer to get the D3 over the older Botvacs as i assume they will be supported for longer and have lithium batteries out of the box.
calypso

Postby someoneclever » December 20th, 2016, 9:03 pm

I'd recommend you add your own side brush-it's not worth paying much more just for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
someoneclever
Robot Addict

Postby themystic » October 1st, 2018, 2:41 am

Hi Guys, i've just bought D3 and noticed no side brush. Shame. Based on what i read there is a possibility to add one?
Is that correct? I have my old botvac d75 and thing to remove and put it into D3. Is there much to do or there is a connector on the mainboard readt?

Thanks!
themystic

Postby redpoint5 » November 21st, 2018, 3:28 am

Seems this question was answered pretty thoroughly, but still curious if any opinions have changed since this old thread started.

I can get a D3, which will be getting no go lines, for $190. The D5 is $340, which is a heck of a lot to add a side brush and multi floor no go lines (and bigger battery, but who cares). Is there any hacks to get the D3 to support even more features?

My XV-11 had a problem spinning the lidar the other day, so I tore it apart and played with the rubber band and motor, and blew out all the dust. Now it spins but says my vision is blocked. No doubt I blew a dust bunny into the optical sensor that detects the spinning lidar. I'll have to tear into it again, but this is getting old.

I hope the BotVac series aren't as prone to lidar issues.
redpoint5

Postby HiTec » November 21st, 2018, 9:04 am

I have seen two pictures of the D3 motherboard, and there was side brush motor and side brush spin sensor connectors below it. 2 pin connector is for motor, 3 pin for spin sensor. Edit: Heres a picture, side brush connectors are circled in red.

You could try to hook the motor to it and see what happens. I think there is no need for spin sensor. I tried my D5 without it and it didnt give any errors, but i am not 100% sure the motor spins without a sensor.

I think in firmware, the side brush could be disabled, but you newer know. Maybe SetConfig SideBrushType 2 works? Try it and post the results!

Hook your D3 to PC and NeatoControl and post GetVersion log here, maybe theres something interesting in there.
HiTec
Robot Groupie

Return to Neato Robotics