Neato Connected Software Update v2.2.0

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Neato Connected Software Update v2.2.0

Postby joker18 » January 27th, 2017, 4:19 pm

So neato gave you female vacuum cleaner?
Mine is a boy. My wife named him Kevin

So Alice 2.0 version works ok?
My Kevin (still on 2.2) behaved very well the last 2 runs so It is difficult to say what causes this erratic behavior where he insists in going trough some furniture.
joker18

Postby Hyperionguy » January 27th, 2017, 4:31 pm

haha, yeah. i first went with Rosie because i like the Jetson's when i was growing up. Since I fired her I wanted a new name so that i wouldn't jix the new one. so i googled famous maids. went with Alice from The Brady Bunch. :)

So far, so good on v2.0.
Hyperionguy

Postby neatouser » October 12th, 2017, 6:47 pm

I was going to upgrade from v2.0.0 to 2.2.0 but considering so mixed reviews, perhaps it's better to wait for another FW release?
neatouser

Postby jorgeli » October 13th, 2017, 2:59 am

V.2.2.0 works fine for me :-)
You would not worry.
jorgeli

Postby cyrus104 » December 6th, 2017, 9:32 pm

Do we have any idea when a new version of the software is going to come out?

I would like to get some more fidelity on how long it tries specific areas like trying to go over a large doorway divider, it took 15 minutes to just stop. It went almost up on it then down over and over. 15 minutes of battery life isn't an insignificant amount. This is all tile and there is nowhere for me to place a no go strip.

There are several feature that could easily be added. Most of our houses don't change that much and it would be nice to have saved floors that way it knows what floor it's on where what to do. If I put the unit on another floor and it takes more than a battery worth it completely forgets what it's doing?
cyrus104

Postby bugmenot » December 7th, 2017, 10:28 am

I experience the same issue. Sometimes it tries to get over a small doorway divider forever and sometimes it's smart enough to go at it diagonally. The latter works every time.
bugmenot

Postby cyrus104 » December 7th, 2017, 11:02 pm

I emailed Neato support to try and get a timeline or roadmap for new feature / support on the current ones but I did not get an answer. It would be nice if we can get some traction on a dialog with Neato, all of this is to make their product better and all of us as customers happy.
cyrus104

Postby glnc222 » December 8th, 2017, 4:14 am

That is a nice sentiment but not how the robot makers have acted in experience. They seem to march to their own drummer as far as features go, which is why I have had to add little things to them to make them work properly at least here. They have their own ideas about what will attract buyers, like adding WiFi and smartphone apps. I know some of them at least hire marketing consulting firms, having helped one, just guessing for Samsung because they even mentioned stats in releasing their newest line -- mainly making it lower to fit under more furniture, as what the market demanded.

The other factor is that software is an investment, and they tend to limit new features to new models instead of selling software for old models, a common practice in digital electronics. Features were released in updates only when the company was in an earlier phase and the software not fully developed, work-in-progress mode, gone some years now, since the Botvac makeover. There is also a cost to making software to run on older hardware when that is advanced, needing work for different versions they don't expect customers will pay for. Some old PC's will not be supplied with updates, for example, after a certain time to run new versions of operating systems really oriented toward hardware advances.

Tech companies are also not going to talk up plans for the future as important in competing with their rivals (secrecy surrounding Apple's original creation of the Mac PC is apocryphal). Obvious potentials of the technology point to possible developments, but there is no telling which direction different companies will go. Notice how Dyson emphasized applying their existing cordless vac tech to their robot, without regard to many other features which seemed important. Neato Robotics/ Vowerk has stuck with their original lidar tech a dozen years old despite advances permitting more durable, solid state camera mapping methods adopted by others. Only intense competition changes such decisions.

The whole field has also been slow in advancing. The pace may have picked up with the wider acceptance of robots in the market, with better sales prospects to pay for development work. It used to be said of Neato Robotics they were mostly changing the body colors of the product instead of advancing the tech. Something similar just occurred at Samsung with a Star Wars anniversary decoration model. Without access to detailed sales figures it is hard to say what the business conditions actually are. iRobot at least is a public company with financial reports.

Neato Robotics has been recently merged into its financier Vorwerk, so what that means is unknown. Perhaps it is a move to more international distribution of Vorwerk product lines previously limited to Europe, or just a needed way to support the Neato side's contribution to the Vorwerk enterprise.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby cyrus104 » December 8th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Thank you for the response. This is typical for most industries, while the product is functional I would say it's nowhere near being fully developed. We are within our return period and are very strongly considering returning the unit, we setup the room enough to where it should be automated. However, every time it runs it finds something to get hung up on and requires user interaction.

I'm based on seeing how both the iRobot 960 and Neato Connected perform, I figured they would still be working on quicker advances because at this rate most people will just buy a new vacuum and do it themselves. The majority of people do not have the time nor patience to unstick a device or manually clean a spot that was missed.
cyrus104

Postby glnc222 » December 8th, 2017, 6:37 pm

It would be interesting in what ways it is getting stuck as there are a number of known cases. It sounds like you might be a customer for the most advanced models such as their D7, or Samsung's 9350 with "select-a-room" -- if it works.
The Xiaomi is adding a lot of nav stuff, too, though I gather it does not move so well on pile carpets. "persistent mapping" is the newest thing. The January U.S. CES show in Las Vegas may reveal the latest additions to be made next year. Availability varies with region and global distribution plans.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby cyrus104 » December 9th, 2017, 11:45 am

We go the Connect as a gift and I just checked the D7 which has the "FloorPlanner™ with virtual 'No Go' Lines", I am really disappointed that they feature is not importable to a model that is $100 cheaper. I would be interested in if there are any actual hardware changes besides what you mentioned as the body color changes.

I'll use the magnetic strip but instead of the 'no go' feature but a persistent map would be amazing, saving power and time.

I'll work on getting a picture but our home builder used a marble room divider between bathrooms and the hallways. It seems to be to low for the bump sensor but to high for the unit to actually go over. The odd thing is that it's not ramped in any way it's a ledge that the bump sensor should just hit. Of course I'd like it to go over and clean the other rooms.
cyrus104

Postby glnc222 » December 9th, 2017, 7:05 pm

The problem of robots climbing things they cannot get off, like a cat in a tree, is not limited to Neato Robotics.
It is especially a problem with Scandinavian style cantilever chairs like some from Ikea, as well as some designer tubular leg chairs, and flared pedestal bar stools (and here some floor lamp bases).

The solution has been lowering the bottom edge of the bumper to engage these trapping objects, adding a plastic strip to the Neato (temporary experiments can even be done with cardboard). A German firm even sells a ready made self-stick strip http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17368&p=141953&hilit=bumper+lower#p141953
but some DIY solutions are possible cheaper for those handy with tools. The plastic on wall corner guards in paint depts. can be bent to shape without heating like ABS plastic, though that can be formed with a clothes iron. Use the wider 1 1/8 in. guard, cuts with scissors. Sticking high up the bumper provides leverage against bottom strikes.

The bumper needs to be lowered only 3/8 inch, flush with the bottom of the case, leaving room to climb proper threshold edges, typically beveled.
See thread "bumper lowering mod" for both XV and Botvac models http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17368&p=141953&hilit=bumper+lower#p141953

A different sort of mod for similar things was needed on the Samsung Powerbot 9000's, though the new 7000's less so. It is as though a virus infects robotics engineers, maybe transmitted through prototype units, making them like high bumpers.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby cyrus104 » December 10th, 2017, 9:14 pm

This is very helpful and I'll look at this solution. Do you know if anyone has already made an STL or model file that is available and I'll print it and use double sided tape.

Is there a site that is selling the mode to these that I can look at?

I did look at the Samsung units and they look nice as well, any idea why the newer model is labeled as 7000 vs 9000? I was looking at both and it looks like the 7000 has newer sensors but the 9000 has more suction power.
cyrus104

Postby glnc222 » December 12th, 2017, 1:04 am

An STL file is shown in the mod thread only for the XV, because the Botvac only needs a strip which could be cut with scissors from a wall corner guard in paint depts. or online, and bent cold to fit. inexpensive (also usable on the XV actually, in a more complicated shape). That German guy may be a plastic molding company adding an item to their line. A 3D CAD spec for a strip would be pretty simple. (You have to measure for bending the plastic and push it over extra as it springs back a little. You will see playing with a piece first. Comes in 4ft lengths. I used Ace hardware but also at Home Depot, Lowes -- check website catalogs.

There are different double-stick tapes; 3M auto trim mounting tape in auto stores might stick better than office foam mounting tape. Try to get as large a sticking area as possible. I used single sided tape over the top, more messy.

There is a little detail of the corners having an upward angle when you bend plastic around it, so the side pieces will point down some I think, which you then trim off the excess bottom on the sides. Check folding paper around it to see. One I made was cut from a drawer organizer tray more difficult. It can be in two pieces meeting in the center.

The sides are necessary because the clever Botvac will try to swipe over things sideways when it cannot get on them from the front.

The Mods & Repairs index thread top of forum lists all the STL files I come across for Neato. There is none for the Botvac wheel, though, because it incorporates gear teeth on the inside rim, clever drive gearing -- not clear if commonly printed plastic is strong enough. Anyway, it has not been posted.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby honeyku41 » December 12th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Software update issue you should try to reinstall the software and files from the website
honeyku41

Postby glnc222 » December 12th, 2017, 5:02 pm

I did look at the Samsung units and they look nice as well, any idea why the newer model is labeled as 7000 vs 9000?

Forgot to mention: Samsung's new 7000 series has a low profile like Neato, with a smaller bin than the older 9000's (and smaller than Botvac's) which have a high rear section with a larger bin, so won't fit under some furniture. Plain in the photos. As with any newer models, they add a few innovations, mainly a front intake shutter which drops against walls to increase suction out the sides in corners -- alternative to side brushes, as well as automatic carpet power adjustment and hair cutting brush for pets. Inquire further in the Samsung forum here,
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby cyrus104 » December 13th, 2017, 12:14 am

honeyku41 wrote:Software update issue you should try to reinstall the software and files from the website

I'm not sure if it's actually a software install issue or just an actual logic issue. The device works and does a so-so job but it's no where near "smart". When it hits an open area it does lines like it supposed to but when navigating it is terrible. I'm not over expecting either, I have very tempered expectations.
cyrus104

Postby dognose » Today, 12:21 pm

The Update Process seems to be highly unreliable. I finally managed to get 2.2.0. Here's how it worked out:

Upgrading from 2.0:

- First, I followed the instructions, everything went well. Robot upgraded to 2.1.1 - Then did nothing.
- Another Attempt to update through the menu updated to 2.1.1. again.
- Another Attempt resulted in an error "SWUPDATE_FILENOTFOUND"

I used the procedure described above to return to 2.0:

1. Remove dirt bin from robot
2. Press ON/OFF switch to OFF
3. Press and hold SPOT button
4. Press ON/OFF switch to ON while SPOT BUTTON is pressed down
5. Press House button once to power on.
6. Keep SPOT button pressed down until both SPOT and HOUSE buttons light up white
7. Let robot boot up
8. Put dirt bin back into robot
9. You will see “There is an upgrade available” messages on the LCD screen. Press the SELECT button under the LCD to go back to the main screen on the LCD.
10. Check your robot software by going to MAIN MENU/ABOUT/VERSION and see if it says: SW Version 2.0.0 Build 46
11. You can now start using your robot again with the 2.0.0 robot software.

And started from scratch. This Time, the robot updated - immediately from 2.0 to 2.2.0.

So, if you are stuck with 2.1.1, return to 2.0 and try again.
dognose

Previous

Return to Neato Robotics