My kitchen shortcuts my Connected

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

My kitchen shortcuts my Connected

Postby plex » January 5th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Properly not related to v.2.2.0, but I've discovered that my Connected, likes to reverse/turn in corners, so rear end raises from floor.

This problem combined with the charging contacts on the rear side, makes a huge problem if you have electrically conductive materials near the floor.

I've a kitchen with alloy plinth?, and yesterday I noticed sparks, because the alloy surface shortcuts the charing contacts :roll:

Would there be any change to fix the problem with software? Elsewhere I'm keen on trying to make Neato take it back, since its useless if it destroys my new kitchen with marks from sparks. I'm frighten that my new kitchen would look pretty sad after month of use :think:

I didn't read anything about this limitation when I bought it.

Kitchen with alloy:
plex
Robot Groupie

Re: My kitchen shortcuts my Connected

Postby davidelewis » January 5th, 2017, 3:47 pm

That's a pretty severe limitation! I'm guessing that the testers at Neato never considered your scenario. A better design would deactivate the circuit between the charging contacts while the vacuum is off the charging base.
Current
Neato Botvac Connected (2.2.0 firmware)
Scooba 5800 with PWR+ NiHM battery
Previous
Neato XV-14 (3.4 firmware) with Lithium Power (LiNMC) batteries
Neato XV-11 (3.1 firmware) with HQRP NiMH batteries
Roomba 580 with wireless remote
Roomba Scheduler 4230
davidelewis
Robot Addict

Postby JEfromCanada » January 5th, 2017, 4:58 pm

I want your kitchen.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » January 5th, 2017, 5:21 pm

I will check my XV11. I don't think there should be voltage on the charging contacts. I don't see how UL would have passed. The roombas use a diode to isolate the battery from the charging contacts. Current only flows into the robot. I can't see how Neato would have done a direct connect.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby plex » January 5th, 2017, 5:39 pm

JEfromCanada wrote:I want your kitchen.

The picture is just an example. I dont know if alloy kitchens is modern is the states, but here in Northern Europe is pretty common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
plex
Robot Groupie

Postby plex » January 5th, 2017, 5:48 pm

mfortuna wrote:I will check my XV11. I don't think there should be voltage on the charging contacts. I don't see how UL would have passed. The roombas use a diode to isolate the battery from the charging contacts. Current only flows into the robot. I can't see how Neato would have done a direct connect.

Please let me know about your xv11.

I've submitted a support ticket at Neato.

I'll be back with their answer.

It seems to be a huge design failure IMO. First of all why voltage at the charging points during operation, and second why does the botvac needs to reverse until tail lifts? In corners it's not reversing enough, before it turns - it makes the rear being squeezed up....

plex
Robot Groupie

Postby bcarpenter » January 6th, 2017, 9:14 am

Both my XV-11 & Connected (with 2.0.0 & 2.2.0) nose into a corner, then back up, then turn. However, the XV-11 never lifted it's rear end. Only the Connected (with 2.0.0 & 2.2.0) do.
bcarpenter

Postby glnc222 » January 8th, 2017, 1:22 pm

The Neato suspension, with arm pivots to the front, has flipped the back up too high since the first models. I modified these bots to limit this tilt from the beginning, as documented in thread "tilt reduction mod",
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17095&p=116564&hilit=tilt+limiting+mod#p116564
I have never found these bots adequately designed in every respect for all household furnishings but found simple additions can make them work.
The same modification was needed on the Powerbot, with similar suspension. Underneath certain cabinets, the back flipping up can jam against the bottom trapping the robot. The software has always been too stupid to respond to the condition effectively.
Several such tricks are listed in the "mods & repairs" list top of main forum page, where I try to index all technical information found.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby plex » January 8th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Neato advise me, to use magnetic strips in all my kitchen area, to avoid marks from shortcuts.

Come on Neato - is this a serious solution? :x
plex
Robot Groupie

Postby TechGuy » January 8th, 2017, 3:46 pm

plex wrote:Neato advise me, to use magnetic strips in all my kitchen area, to avoid marks from shortcuts.

Let hope it is just a temporary solution while their engineering department is working on a solution.

But company will not solve a problem if it is not wide spread. Take iPhone 6 "touch disease" or LG G4 "boot loop" as examples.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,.H-Bridge Repair How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby JEfromCanada » January 8th, 2017, 4:46 pm

TechGuy wrote:LG G4 "boot loop" as examples.

My LG G4 has a boot loop? I've never noticed it.
Froot-Loops-Box-Small.jpg
Froot-Loops-Box-Small.jpg (110.31 KiB) Viewed 5809 times
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby Wing Nut » January 8th, 2017, 4:51 pm

Maybe a solution would be to apply a couple of coats of clear lacquer over the metal surface? Or lay a long strip of clear tape along the metal panel, since often protective plastic goes unnoticed on new items. From eye-height neither might be noticeable.
#1 Neato XV-11 SW 2.0 Board Rev 113 / 4400mAh Lithium Power battery installed Jan 2018 / Pet & Allergy pack installed Sept 2013. In July 2014, received and repaired a faulty #2 Neato XV-11, running Lithium Power 4400mAh battery since July 2015
Wing Nut
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » January 9th, 2017, 12:13 am

Given how that baseboard material (stainless steel?) could deflect the lidar, I would prefer other robots with charging contacts on the bottom, and the newer camera guidance instead of lidar. If I really wanted to use a Neato, I would at least modify it putting copper strips on the bottom to replace the charging contacts, but whether it would maneuver properly docking is not clear.
Not everything wanted may be possible with particular robots and priorities need to be set. If you want to clean that kitchen, you might need to dispense with side brushes, depending on models.
Modifying the kitchen does not look very attractive. This one in particular appears to be especially stylish, hardly anything casual to change.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby plex » January 10th, 2017, 2:25 am

TechGuy wrote:
plex wrote:Neato advise me, to use magnetic strips in all my kitchen area, to avoid marks from shortcuts.

Let hope it is just a temporary solution while their engineering department is working on a solution.

But company will not solve a problem if it is not wide spread. Take iPhone 6 "touch disease" or LG G4 "boot loop" as examples.

Magnetic strip is not a temporary solution, but the solution from Neato after been trough their so called support. Neato also suggest not to vacuum my kitchen and entrance area (also with alloy plinth). Is this some kind of a joke? My house have nearly no doors, and all rooms are connected.

They defend their product by saying- we couldn't know you had an alloy kitchen. Hello Neato - where in the specifications is it defined - not suitable with alloy plinth? I didn't have any chance before it bought this daemon.

In Northern Europe its kind of common that new kitchens have alloy.

They refuse to give me a refund, so thanks for stealing my money.

No more Neato for me - that's for sure. It should have sticked with iRobot, that's for sure.

Watch out if you have a modern kitchen!

plex
Robot Groupie

Postby plex » January 21st, 2017, 4:08 pm

After further discussion with Neato, they end up telling me to return it to the retailer, cause they can't provide a fix. The retailer won't take it back, so it ended up being worst buy ever. I'm very disappointed, the way Neato treat their customers. First of all they are rude and impolite, and second they won't take any responsibility.

I was actually happy about the bot, until I discovered the design problem. Well I could just continue to use it, but I'm not keen on having shortcuts when running the bot? I don't know what the current and voltage is on the contacts, but it provides sparks, when the contacts hits electric conductive materials - such as my kitchen, when it reverses into subjects.
plex
Robot Groupie

Postby joker18 » January 21st, 2017, 6:55 pm

Did you think of sticking some foam strips in the area of the contacts?
If you place them right they shouldn't influence charging and protect you from sparks.
joker18

Postby someoneclever » January 21st, 2017, 6:57 pm

If possible put a temporary barrier like the one shown in the picture over the alloyImage
I use that barrier because Neato cannot see black furniture.

someoneclever
Robot Addict

Postby plex » January 22nd, 2017, 3:35 am

someoneclever wrote:If possible put a temporary barrier like the one shown in the picture over the alloyImage
I use that barrier because Neato cannot see black furniture.

I don't think this mod is a solution for me. I don't like the idea, of spending time protecting the house from a botvac.

I just want my good old Roomba back :cry:
plex
Robot Groupie

Postby bcarpenter » January 22nd, 2017, 5:23 am

plex wrote:After further discussion with Neato, they end up telling me to return it to the retailer, cause they can't provide a fix. The retailer won't take it back, so it ended up being worst buy ever.

I do t know what country you're in but I must say that one thing I appreciate about Australia is the consumer protection laws. I sure missed them when we lived in other countries. There would be no problems getting the regulatory authorities here onto the retailer to force the refund, I would think.
bcarpenter

Postby Medtech » January 22nd, 2017, 5:22 pm

plex
This static electricity spark, the robot when using electrified, accumulate static electricity, and is discharged through the charging contacts on your kitchen, plus there is a close contact of metal on metal. There are a lot of subtleties in the work of robots, you have to choose the robot contacts with a robot to exclude interaction of metal with metal.
Your roomba Untraceable abrasions on your basement kitchen?
What is the model of the robot you had?
Thank you GOOGLE translator for the freedom of communication.
Medtech
Robot Addict

Next

Return to Neato Robotics