My kitchen shortcuts my Connected

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: My kitchen shortcuts my Connected

Postby glnc222 » June 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Shorting the charging contacts can also occur against metal furniture legs, brushed aluminum, chrome etc.
A German user used foam pads on the rear to prevent contact with walls or furniture while still allowing charger contact. German roboter-forum pics
http://www.roboter-forum.com/showthread.php?22176-MOD-Ladekontaktekurzschluss
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Pumbi » November 30th, 2017, 8:27 am

The picture from the german site
Attachments
WP_20170627_20_11_59_Pro.jpg
Pumbi

Postby pdjms1 » February 18th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse but I believe I have recently come to a similar issue but one that has caused in the failure of a diode or some other component. My botvac Connected now stops about 18 inches from the base at a slight angle and claims its charging when it is not. What I am thinking is there is a diode that should sense a load when the bot is close enough to the charging station so the vac knows when to stop moving (i.e. successful dock procedure). When I called a fix your robot service they said it was likely related to this issue (static discharge back feeding into the system causing a short in the Mother board) and it would likely be about $100 + shipping both ways. While this isn't terrible when comparing to the purchase of a new unit... I would like to try my luck out at fixing it myself and dusting off my old blinky board skills. Is there a thread that has information on how to fix the "phantom charging" (as I have heard it called) in a botvac connected?

Thanks in advance, seeing the responses on other posts while trying to find the answers to my issue has revealed a very informed and helpful community here.
pdjms1

Postby glnc222 » February 19th, 2018, 1:33 am

The charging circuit was traced by an engineer member for the XV board, but nothing similar yet for Botvac -- not so many board defects reported those newer designs.
schematic http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=132686#p132686
The circuit design could be very similar, with mosfet switches and diodes to redirect power between battery, charger, and system in the different operating states.
XV board Diode D14 with insufficient heat sinking -- maybe carrying the full 2 amp charging current or higher battery running load -- was defective in some XV's causing battery voltage to leak back into the charging contacts so detected as false connection to the dock and sometimes more severe conditions, permanently locking the bot in charging mode preventing running. Diode replacement, with higher rated and packaged parts, and sometimes heat sink additions were made. Software might not check the charging contact voltage until located near the dock, preparing for the docking maneuver terminated by good contact detection. It takes very little current leakage to supply voltage to a high impedance detector for the docking contact voltage.
You might be able to trace the Botvac circuit back from the charging contacts, but something for engineers familiar with such circuit construction and parts.
glnc222
Robot Master

Previous

Return to Neato Robotics