Botvac Connected side brush damage to combo brush

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Botvac Connected side brush damage to combo brush

Postby bcarpenter » January 27th, 2017, 10:07 am

Hi,

Just thought I'd raise an issue I've not read yet in any forums.

The other day, I returned home to find a very loud clacking noise coming from the Botvac Connected as it travelled around the house. It had been set to run while we were out. I stopped the machine & found that the side brush had lodged itself within the combo brush compartment, with the spinning combo brush clacking the loose side brush every time a vane passed it. This had caused damage to the side brush & the combo brush (see attached pictures).

I have had the side brush fall off several times, & this has been reported in several web forums as a consistent issue. This is the first time I have had the side brush then become collected by the main vacuum brush in the 2 months I have had this robot. It must have occurred as the bot came through the area for a repeat pass, I'm guessing.

I think the side brush needs a better attachment to the body of the robot. The magnetic attachment is not secure. There must be a reason the engineers chose this particular method of attachment, but I wonder if there's some better way.

I have written to Neato support about this as well.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 01.05.29.jpg
Damaged combo brush
Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 01.05.22.jpg
Damaged side brush
bcarpenter

Re: Botvac Connected side brush damage to combo brush

Postby JEfromCanada » January 27th, 2017, 12:44 pm

My guess is that the magnetic attachment is to ensure that, should the side brush become caught in tassles or other obstructions, it can be detached from the main body without damaging the main robot by over-torquing.

Over time, bristles on my side brush have become deformed similarly to your photo, but thankfully, it has never been caught with enough force to become dislodged from the robot.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby bcarpenter » February 5th, 2017, 8:10 am

JEfromCanada, you may be right on the reason for the magnetic connection. I don't recall it ever being an issue with my previous Roomba. The bristle deformation was from this one incident alone, not from gradual wear.

Just an update on this. Neato is sending a replacement main brush & side brush, no charge. Not specifically stated whether this is a warranty issue or goodwill.

I specifically asked what I can do to prevent this happening again & the suggestion was to keep the magnetic interface clean & free of dust, & to try to ensure the Botvac doesn't go over anything higher than about an inch. I have no idea how to ensure the latter, when the skirting boards in our place have a quarter circle timber moudling at floor level that's about an inch in radius.
bcarpenter

Postby glnc222 » February 5th, 2017, 2:07 pm

This has been reported before -- if the side brush falls off, it can be run over by the vacuum. Wrapping tape around the shaft could make a tighter fit to the brush socket, though I never used it myself.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics