Disabling wheel sensor

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Disabling wheel sensor

Postby tocs » January 30th, 2017, 7:14 am

Hi Everyone,

I've got a Botvac Connected and I'm getting the "please put me down on the floor" message.
I've connected to it using Neato Control and It is indicating that the "snsr_left_wheel_extended" always has a value of true. The right wheel is fine and switches on and off as I pick it up. It's just the left wheel that is not working. I can also hear an audible click on the right wheel when I pick it up, but not the left.
Is there a quick way to just disable the sensor through the software.
I've discovered the "diagtest disablepicukupdetect" command but it doesn't do me much good.

Further, if anyone has any experience on how to replace the sensor that is broken that would be great as a longer term fix.

Any advise would be great appreciated.

Cheers,
Tocs.
tocs

Re: Disabling wheel sensor

Postby glnc222 » January 30th, 2017, 7:21 pm

I think that sensor is a simple lever action microswitch. At least that was used on the XV models. It would connect a power supply voltage like 5v or a ground to a digital cpu input. Compare voltages on the pins pressed and released. It can be measured with a multimeter. Unlike the XV, access to the wheels requires full disassembly, buried in the bottom, but construction is modular. See Mods & Repairs list main page for links to videos and instructions. A long shank T10 torx screw driver is needed.

It was easy on XV's to tear off the little lever, but this did not affect operations except maybe not detecting lifting off the floor so much (the cliff sensors are also used). It depends on software. The switch should be easily replaced but check for shorts in wiring and what not first. Worst case the cpu input is not working.
It may be possible to simply jumper or short out the switch in the normal operating position, or to tape the lever pressed if that is the needed configuration.
glnc222
Robot Master

Re: Disabling wheel sensor

Postby shirgal » January 31st, 2017, 6:45 pm

tocs : if you open the cover just follow the 2 twisted wire gray+brown from each wheel switch to the board,
you can disable the left one by making short on the wire going to the board.
shirgal
Robot Addict

Return to Neato Robotics