Neato BotVac Connected LIDAR issues

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato BotVac Connected LIDAR issues

Postby Mirarkitty » February 10th, 2017, 1:30 pm

My home automation connected Neato Connected has started to have some LIDAR issues.

First time it resolved itself after a few 2009 and 3000.

Second time I could see that it couldn't spin the LIDAR, after a series of 2009, 3000, I got it to start spinning by prodding it with a cotton swab and it ran fine for a few weeks.

Now it's giving me the "Please Reboot" error, I can see the LIDAR spinning slowly, but it refuses to do anything else.

1) Any idea what's causing this kind of issues?

2) What parts fit in a Botvac Connected in case I need to start replacing them?

I will at opportunity see if I can get logs from it, but I don't _think_ it's the laser but that it spins slow/irregular.

thanks for any help

(Footnote: My old Neato XV died with LIDAR issues, the motor stopped working and a chip on the motherboard blew up (!) - didn't notice the chip blowing up until I replaced the motor, but I decided on a new bot instead of replacing the board.)
Mirarkitty

Re: Neato BotVac Connected LIDAR issues

Postby vic7767 » February 10th, 2017, 2:12 pm

The Botvac Connected Lidar motor is still controlled by PWM signals that are generated depending on the speed report contained within each of the 360 degree data words. Your Connected Lidar motor is smaller than any of the other Neato Botvac models and also has a different size O-ring as well. See if you can determine if it's the Lidar motor or the PWM controller that has the failure.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Mirarkitty » February 13th, 2017, 8:37 am

It's getting weird.

Visual inspection: seems to be about 2 rotations per second, about normal speed
Inspection with IR camera (night vision camera): IR leds working, confirms rotation speed

USB connection test:

Code: Select all
getlds
AngleInDegrees,DistInMM,Intensity,ErrorCodeHEX

ROTATION_SPEED,0.00

edit: tested in darkness now, the IR beam from the LIDAR doesn't seem to exist. It used to draw a nice line on all the walls around the robot, it's not there now.

Maybe it doesn't turn on if the RPM is wrong?
Mirarkitty

Postby MNtravis » February 14th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Just a heads up, I had my 2nd Botvac Connected die of the Lidar problem in the last 4 months. The first I returned to the store, bought another. Thenew one went awesome for 2 months then one day it just stopped working, the same Lidar problems. This time I am having Neato replace it under warranty. Customer service said there is a known problem, so much so that they extended the warranty out to 18 months from 12 months. So if your unit is less than 18 months I woul dcall and tell them you have the dreaded 3000 error. They will have you do some simple checks while on the phone then after a couple days email you a fedex label to ship it in for replacement. I am REALLY REALLY hoping the third one is the charm!!
MNtravis

Postby Mirarkitty » February 15th, 2017, 3:44 am

Wow. That sounds bad, and really really expensive for Neato... I hope they fixed the problem in the replacement units.

Same issues as above?
Mirarkitty

Postby Mirarkitty » March 8th, 2017, 1:07 pm

Happy ending (so far), although I wish I knew what went wrong.

After some negotiation they sent me a new Connected.
Mirarkitty

Postby Korthla » May 21st, 2017, 10:08 am

Hello,
I've only had my Neato D5 connected for a few days however I've noticed it will not navigate into darker corners to clean. When reading the Neato website it says it has no issues navigating in the dark to clean. Anyone else seen this issue?
I've confirmed this by putting it in the darkish corner, putting it on spot clean and watching it somewhat vacuum the area and then head out to an area where there is more light and finish vacuuming. If I put it in the same spot and shine a flashlight on the same area and put it on spot clean it will clean the area where the flashlight is shining and stop when it gets to the edges of the light area.
The dark spot is not entirely dark, I would say there is about 30% light. Enough to easily see with the human eye.

Anything I should try doing aside from making the dark areas lighter?

Thanks, Luke
Korthla

Postby JEfromCanada » May 21st, 2017, 1:11 pm

This is a bit confusing to me, because the Neato does not use a visible-light system for navigation. It uses an infrared laser for range finding. The drop sensors can be affected by dark surfaces (which absorb rather than reflect the light coming from the sensor). May I ask what colour your flooring is?
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby monkeyboy » May 27th, 2017, 1:01 am

FYI my D3 has done pretty well in near total darkness and certainly does dark rooms routinely.
monkeyboy

Postby glnc222 » May 27th, 2017, 2:06 pm

The lidar scan can be checked over USB with the Neato Control program, placing the bot at the problem area.
Dark surfaces and reflective surfaces, will not show up on lidar, same as with cliff sensors. Neato sees these as though too far away and likes to keep going into such spaces supposedly looking into more rooms, not avoiding them.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby maddieprivate » July 29th, 2017, 10:30 pm

My D85 lasted 4 months, then I got the 3000 error. Neato sent me a replacement D Series bot. The replacement lasted 3 months. I am waiting for the 3rd replacement. In the meantime I purchased a Roomba 880 with the tangle free rubber things. The Roomba is depositing fur on my area rug. I am returning the Roomba tomorrow and I hope the 3rd Neato unit lasts a reasonable amount of time. I am not a tech and cannot fix the bot myself. Nothing picks fur up from carpet like the Neato. I hope they get this problem resolved. It is unfair to the customer.
maddieprivate

Postby peterk » August 1st, 2017, 7:41 pm

Same issue here. Started as 3000 error, then resolved itself and then it started showing as 4000 error. 3 month old Botvac Connected but Neato won't honor the warranty because it was purchased as an open box item through Amazon Warehouse Deals. Not very happy right now....
peterk

Postby Medtech » August 16th, 2017, 4:39 am

Unfortunately, Connect is very gentle in handling during repair, it is necessary to strictly follow the ESD rules when servicing and disassembling this robot model.
  Ordinary Botvac are less prone to static electricity.
It is necessary to disassemble the robot and check the rotation of the lidar, disassemble the lidar and clean it from possible contaminants, sometimes even with a short work on the shaft of the lidar motor, the hair is wound that makes it difficult to rotate.
Thank you GOOGLE translator for the freedom of communication.
Medtech
Robot Addict

Return to Neato Robotics