Neato BotVac Connected LIDAR issues

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato BotVac Connected LIDAR issues

Postby Mirarkitty » February 10th, 2017, 1:30 pm

My home automation connected Neato Connected has started to have some LIDAR issues.

First time it resolved itself after a few 2009 and 3000.

Second time I could see that it couldn't spin the LIDAR, after a series of 2009, 3000, I got it to start spinning by prodding it with a cotton swab and it ran fine for a few weeks.

Now it's giving me the "Please Reboot" error, I can see the LIDAR spinning slowly, but it refuses to do anything else.

1) Any idea what's causing this kind of issues?

2) What parts fit in a Botvac Connected in case I need to start replacing them?

I will at opportunity see if I can get logs from it, but I don't _think_ it's the laser but that it spins slow/irregular.

thanks for any help

(Footnote: My old Neato XV died with LIDAR issues, the motor stopped working and a chip on the motherboard blew up (!) - didn't notice the chip blowing up until I replaced the motor, but I decided on a new bot instead of replacing the board.)
Mirarkitty

Re: Neato BotVac Connected LIDAR issues

Postby vic7767 » February 10th, 2017, 2:12 pm

The Botvac Connected Lidar motor is still controlled by PWM signals that are generated depending on the speed report contained within each of the 360 degree data words. Your Connected Lidar motor is smaller than any of the other Neato Botvac models and also has a different size O-ring as well. See if you can determine if it's the Lidar motor or the PWM controller that has the failure.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Mirarkitty » February 13th, 2017, 8:37 am

It's getting weird.

Visual inspection: seems to be about 2 rotations per second, about normal speed
Inspection with IR camera (night vision camera): IR leds working, confirms rotation speed

USB connection test:

Code: Select all
getlds
AngleInDegrees,DistInMM,Intensity,ErrorCodeHEX

ROTATION_SPEED,0.00

edit: tested in darkness now, the IR beam from the LIDAR doesn't seem to exist. It used to draw a nice line on all the walls around the robot, it's not there now.

Maybe it doesn't turn on if the RPM is wrong?
Mirarkitty

Postby MNtravis » February 14th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Just a heads up, I had my 2nd Botvac Connected die of the Lidar problem in the last 4 months. The first I returned to the store, bought another. Thenew one went awesome for 2 months then one day it just stopped working, the same Lidar problems. This time I am having Neato replace it under warranty. Customer service said there is a known problem, so much so that they extended the warranty out to 18 months from 12 months. So if your unit is less than 18 months I woul dcall and tell them you have the dreaded 3000 error. They will have you do some simple checks while on the phone then after a couple days email you a fedex label to ship it in for replacement. I am REALLY REALLY hoping the third one is the charm!!
MNtravis

Postby Mirarkitty » February 15th, 2017, 3:44 am

Wow. That sounds bad, and really really expensive for Neato... I hope they fixed the problem in the replacement units.

Same issues as above?
Mirarkitty

Postby Mirarkitty » March 8th, 2017, 1:07 pm

Happy ending (so far), although I wish I knew what went wrong.

After some negotiation they sent me a new Connected.
Mirarkitty

Return to Neato Robotics